Young Americans Resistant to Obamacare (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:08:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Young Americans Resistant to Obamacare (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Young Americans Resistant to Obamacare  (Read 1887 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: December 05, 2013, 02:07:40 AM »

People will still get insurance, though I bet a lot will continue on their current plans if they can since it will be cheaper than the Obamacare plans.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

What's missing here is "why" should the ones who are now able to ride on their parents insurance until they are 26 sign up for individual insurance?   In a way, the very persons they need to sign up are the ones who they gave a waiver to.

Plenty of the "young invincibles" parents don't have insurance.

Hence the phrasing "... the ones who are now able to ...".  Those who aren't able to ride on their parents plans probably can't afford individual insurance on their own without government subsidies as it is, so they won't be the ones providing the needed funding the legislation is banking on.

They don't need young people to provide the financing. They need them to provide a healthier risk pool, which will lower premiums, and thus subsidies, as a whole.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »

What's missing here is "why" should the ones who are now able to ride on their parents insurance until they are 26 sign up for individual insurance?   In a way, the very persons they need to sign up are the ones who they gave a waiver to.

Hence the phrasing "... the ones who are now able to ...".  Those who aren't able to ride on their parents plans probably can't afford individual insurance on their own without government subsidies as it is, so they won't be the ones providing the needed funding the legislation is banking on.

It's not the funding that's needed. It's a broad risk pool that's needed.

A broad risk pool (and LOTS of them) are need to fund the ACA.  MODU doesn't think that will happen, and I happen to agree at this point.

No, MODU seems to think the ACA relies on young people paying their own way, which is not true. They are needed to spread the risk and lower (or at least slow the rise of) premiums for everybody.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »

It's not the funding that's needed. It's a broad risk pool that's needed.

A broad risk pool (and LOTS of them) are need to fund the ACA.  MODU doesn't think that will happen, and I happen to agree at this point.

No, MODU seems to think the ACA relies on young people paying their own way, which is not true. They are needed to spread the risk and lower (or at least slow the rise of) premiums for everybody.

Would you agree the pool not only needs to be diverse but big, and I mean BIG?  Right now the only ones jumping in the pool are unhealthies (probably at high numbers).  We need a wide range of young healthies joining to offset the others, or the pool will be toxic.

Obviously I agree with you. I was just pointing out that MODU seems to think the youngs need to finance Obamacare. They would be ecstatic to get youngs joining in even if they only made 150% of the FPL. They are needed to make the risk pool better, not to finance the thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies