Jeremy Corbyn calls for peace, per The Guardian.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:16:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Jeremy Corbyn calls for peace, per The Guardian.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn calls for peace, per The Guardian.  (Read 1316 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2024, 08:30:01 AM »
« edited: May 02, 2024, 08:57:45 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Again, you exaggerate due to your personal dislike of the man. The 2015-20 period in Labour party history, and not least the 2017 GE, are going to prove fascinating ground for future chroniclers.

Not really, he’s already being forgotten

Which just shows that you are not based in the UK, I can state pretty confidently he remains far from "being forgotten" here. Indeed, a desperate Tory party still intends to make "Starmer supported and served under him, thus he is unfit to be PM" a key part of its GE campaign.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2024, 08:52:22 AM »

He should go talk to his friends from Hezbollah and his friends from Hamas, they seem to care about peace a lot.

What friends?

How about the government of Israel just stops bombing innocent civilians and call for a ceasefire. So far they are going to plan to invade Rafah pretty soon amidst the tensions.

This is what I'm referring to...
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2024, 08:54:51 AM »

I once had the opportunity to push Corbyn onto the tracks at an Underground station.
You probably didn't so the Tories could win the election!
Again, you exaggerate due to your personal dislike of the man. The 2015-20 period in Labour party history, and not least the 2017 GE, are going to prove fascinating ground for future chroniclers.

Which just shows that you are not based in the UK , I can state pretty confidently he remains far from "being forgotten" here. Indeed, a desperate Tory party still intends to make "Starmer supported and served under him, thus he is unfit to be PM" a key part of its GE campaign.
That's true but Starmer can say, since he withdrew the whip, "I've changed my party, he follows his!" whenever Rishi brings it up.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2024, 09:25:35 AM »

Which just shows that you are not based in the UK, I can state pretty confidently he remains far from "being forgotten" here. Indeed, a desperate Tory party still intends to make "Starmer supported and served under him, thus he is unfit to be PM" a key part of its GE campaign.

I mean, you are correct that I don't live in the UK.  That's not the epic dunk you seem to think it is, but whatever.  Obviously being a British politician, Corbyn will avoid being completely forgotten a bit longer than the rest of the world.  However, 7-10 years from now, no one except politics nerds will really remember or care who he is.  This is already the case in much of the world.  He's an irrelevant has been.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2024, 10:29:01 PM »

He should go talk to his friends from Hezbollah and his friends from Hamas, they seem to care about peace a lot.

What friends?

How about the government of Israel just stops bombing innocent civilians and call for a ceasefire. So far they are going to plan to invade Rafah pretty soon amidst the tensions.

You really haven't gotten that there is no force on Earth that will stop the war before the hostages are returned alive, have you?
The six month long war has returned only three hostages through military operations. Several times that have been killed by Israeli bombs and even direct fire. If the war continues almost all the hostages will be dead by its end.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2024, 09:46:47 AM »

I mean, you are correct that I don't live in the UK.  That's not the epic dunk you seem to think it is, but whatever.  Obviously being a British politician, Corbyn will avoid being completely forgotten a bit longer than the rest of the world.  However, 7-10 years from now, no one except politics nerds will really remember or care who he is.  This is already the case in much of the world.  He's an irrelevant has been.

Well in much of "the world" 99.99999% of people don't matter.

So that isn't really an "epic dunk" either Smiley
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2024, 02:20:33 PM »

The wonderful Jeremy Corbyn calling for peaceful resolutions around the world, not just in Gaza but in countries suffering castrophes as Sudan. This is the leadership all Western leaders should be calling for, not more bloodthirsty warmonging.

Serious question for you.

Suppose tomorrow you decide to go outside for a walk. You go out the door and make your way to the street. As you go out to the street you notice there's a guy a litttle ways down the street, but you initially think nothing of it.

You walk down the street a little bit, and then you turn around, and notice that the guy is following you close behind. Moreover, you notice that his fist is swinging towards you, and you notice that it has arrived smack in the middle of your face, and hits your nose.

You feel a sharp stinging sensation of pain, but you maintain your composure, and call for peace. You call to the guy for a peaceful resolution, not more bloodthirsty warmonging, and ask him to not punch you again, and suggest that you should be friends.

However, the guy appears not to be interested in your call for peace, and instead he says "haha no, I want to punch you again because I feel like it, or frankly, just for any reason or even no reason at all."

You see him raise his fist and swing it towards you, and once again it lands in the middle of your face. Your nose starts to bleed.

What's your next move?

So, given the lack of response, my assumption is that your next move is to get punched in the face again. And then your next move after that will be to get punched in the face again. And then again. And again... and again... and...

Ironically, this doesn't actually achieve the peace you so desire, because being punched in the face is the opposite of peace, regardless of whether it is you being punched in the face or you punching someone else in the face.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2024, 06:13:53 PM »

What friends?

You really haven't gotten that there is no force on Earth that will stop the war before the hostages are returned alive, have you?

No one believes that the Israeli government gives a damn about the hostages. They want to resettle Gaza and continue taking Palestinian territory.

October 7th was the result of their failure to protect Israeli citizens, based on their own hubris and underestimation of the will of Palestinians in Gaza—and also, because they were busy protecting extremist West Bank settlers. Nevertheless, the attacks presented the Israeli government with a golden opportunity to retake Gaza for settlement and annexation, and kill or otherwise remove a ton of Palestinians as a bonus.

If there were any justice, the current Israeli government coalition and the settler extremists would be treated as global pariahs, the same as any rogue state, terrorist, or criminal organization. And accusations of anti-Semitism in response to condemnations like this would be treated as the morally offensive, bad faith hysterics they are—accusations that only serve to backfire against combating actual anti-Semitism.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2024, 06:45:12 PM »

Well in much of "the world" 99.99999% of people don't matter.

So that isn't really an "epic dunk" either Smiley

Genuinely not sure what point you were trying to make with this post.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2024, 07:17:18 PM »

What friends?

No one believes that the Israeli government gives a damn about the hostages. They want to resettle Gaza and continue taking Palestinian territory.

October 7th was the result of their failure to protect Israeli citizens, based on their own hubris and underestimation of the will of Palestinians in Gaza—and also, because they were busy protecting extremist West Bank settlers. Nevertheless, the attacks presented the Israeli government with a golden opportunity to retake Gaza for settlement and annexation, and kill or otherwise remove a ton of Palestinians as a bonus.

If there were any justice, the current Israeli government coalition and the settler extremists would be treated as global pariahs, the same as any rogue state, terrorist, or criminal organization. And accusations of anti-Semitism in response to condemnations like this would be treated as the morally offensive, bad faith hysterics they are—accusations that only serve to backfire against combating actual anti-Semitism.

Yes, well, there's a reason the Israeli people are still out in the streets protesting against the Israeli government.

The fact remains that you will have to fight every single Israeli to the death to get us to give up on the hostages, and if you don't understand that, then that's why everyone who takes on Israel loses. You can't force a people into surrender if they know that what awaits them is worse.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2024, 08:28:40 PM »

What friends?

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies