Will Obama win white evangelicals in Utah? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:09:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Obama win white evangelicals in Utah? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Obama win white evangelicals in Utah?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Will Obama win white evangelicals in Utah?  (Read 4771 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: July 28, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »

Only 7% of Utahans are evangelical. It also has a relatively high percentage of non-religious, though I'm guessing most of these are probably ex-Mormons and their descendants.

Also, FWIW Obama got around 19% of the Mormon vote in 2008, though that was probably near the high-water mark for a Democrat in UT, and a feat he's obviously not going to replicate this year. Mormons made up 75% of the electorate in Utah, depsite making up only 60% of the state's population. Working backwards using algebra, that means Obama had to have gotten around 79% of the non-Mormon vote to get him to 34% of the vote.

Of course all this begs another question: why do Mormons have such high turnout?

Good question. Perhaps it's because they're part of a religion that's one of the most politically involved. I know they did a lot to help pass prop 8 in California, with many Mormons from other states canvassing in California for the cause. I think the Mormons have been very successful in shaping Utah's politics and they have had influence in other states as well, so they understand the value of being politically active.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies