Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:43:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87996 times)
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« on: October 25, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »

Since everyone else is mentioning it, I'm applying early action to Fordham and DePaul and early decision to George Washington. I have no idea how my chances are for any of them.

DePaul seems like a nice school, from what I hear. (Though obviously I know next to nothing about US universities.)

Yeah, DePaul is an awesome school in a great location (only an extremely brief "L" ride to Wrigleyville) with great parties and a lively cast of characters. Not to mention probably having the hottest girls per capita in Illinois. I've never really understood what was really "Catholic" about it. Just a bunch of kids with rich parents who know how to live life maybe a little too properly. 
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »

My final list is, incidentally (and approximately in order of preference):

Maryland — College Park (PhD, Neuroscience and Cognitive Science)
McGill (PhD, Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience)
NYU (PhD, Psychology, Cognition and Perception)
University of Rochester (PhD, Brain and Cognitive Sciences)
Boston University (PhD, Computational Neuroscience)
Harvard University (PhD, Program in Speech and Hearing Biosciences and Technology)

what's your GPA dude?

3.99.  4.0 in majors.  Silly electrical engineering Tongue

How do you do it? I'm Poli-Sci (i.e. easy major) and I'm barely mustering a 3.6. Sad
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »

Finally finished the last of my law school apps. Now we wait.

In the end I did Harvard, Yale, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke, UVA, UPenn, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell, Texas, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Vanderbilt. Thank the lord for fee waivers.

What was your LSAT score (obviously high if that's your repertoire, no)?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »

Well my avatar is going to be changed to Oregon next year...

That's my round about way of saying I got into Reed!

Given your personality I'd say that's basically the perfect fit for you.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »

Got into NYU!!! Definitely going to law school next year then.

Hope you enjoy $8 beers at the bars!
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »

How much is it in DC? Our here in collegetown we get like PBR tallboys for $1.50
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »

What's the point of majoring in history? It's interesting, but what does that get you besides teaching history in high school where nobody gives a sh**t or being a history prof?

Unless you go to law school, it's pointless, much like Political Science, english, etc..

Pointless because...?

because you are worth as a human what the market says your labor is worth.

I understand you're being facetiously callous, but how is this statement not actually true? I mean, you and I and everyone else here is more inclined to hang out and sleep with people who are good looking and charismatic. Does that make people who are not good looking and charismatic inherently worthless? I really don't see any catalyst through which the US/EU can ultimately change innate concepts of efficacy, so I mean, what is it you and everyone else seeks to accomplish? So gays can marry and we can smoke pot on the streets? That's fine and all, but in the end, I don't really see how that changes the nature of the game.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »

I have now been waitlisted by the University of Chicago for the second time in four years, the bastards.

Color me shocked; UChicago definitely has more hipsters per capita than any school in America.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:54:38 AM »

I've never heard of those schools and cannot say whether UChicagoans work hard as I have never visited during the schoolweek (Torie might be a better fellow to ask), but on the weekends they dress like hipsters, drink a lot of PBR and smoke a lot of cigarettes. And indulge in their knowledge of various obscurities, such as Norwegian drinking songs and infrastructure development in Nova Scotia. Super interesting and awesome people all around, but I could never thrive in that atmosphere since I'm not really an intellectual and never will be one.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:58:47 AM »

Although I have visited on a day off colloquially referred to as "suicide prevention day" (maybe Torie can elaborate, if that was around when he was there), so I think the stipulation is that they do, indeed, work hard.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

lolwtf ^^^^^

What school/fraternity, Tmthforu94?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

You build better state schools on the east coast...and California.

Says who?

California Schools, Michigan, UNC, UNC Chapel Hill, U Penn, Wisconsin Madison- are some of the best schools in the nation. What western, non-pacific, school is equally accredited?

U Penn isn't a state school, despite its name.

Furthermore, Michigan and UW-Madison are definitely not East Coast.  It also depends on what you mean by "western, non-Pacific"; off the top of my head Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona, Arizona State, UC-Boulder, Kansas, and UT-Austin are all fine schools.

Don't forget Illinois! Not only are we a "Public Ivy," but the Princeton Review rated us as the #4 party school in the nation. #WorkHardPlayHard
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies