Can I ask a favour?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:50:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Can I ask a favour?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can I ask a favour?  (Read 1343 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:14:46 AM »

I have a phobia of caterpillars. Yeah, I know, they're mostly harmless, but i'm terrified of them.

When I was about 9, I was pushed into a wattle bush filled with spitfires, and I'm fairly sure that was the cause although i've never really liked them. I'm not a big insect fan at all, but they're the worst. I'd much rather have 100 tarantulas crawling around my body tan a single caterpillar in my hand. Anyway, I've been trying to find the correct term for the phobia, and I think I might have found it, when I found this link:

http://www.cartoonbarry.com/2006/09/scoleciphobia_fear_of_worms.html

First thing I saw was a massive caterpillar-not so good. I'm at the stage where I can cope with seeing butterflies, chysalis and moths (although I turn into quite the gymnast when I see a moth, some of my evasive manouvers have been pretty spectacular, including jumping off a balcony...) but seeing a caterpillar-even a photo of one-still makes me flinch and recoil. So if someone could copy the text, without the image, I'd really appreciate it, so I can find out if it really is the tem i'm looking for.

I've also found this site, which amazed me a little because there are some, if only a few, others. It suggests the term 'lepidophobia', but that isn't specific to caterpillars. I have to say, reading some of the comments made me do some crazy spasming. Yeurk. Even thinking about how they move freaks me out. Coincidentally, I also really, really hate maggots and stuff like that, but i'm not that bad with earthworms or even leeches.

My phobia doesnt really affect my life too much, I just weave away from moths and butteflies and in caterpillar season, I generally dont look too closely at trees and bushes. The only really significant thing is that I won't ever open up cabbage, or a lettuce, or anything like that, and won't touch that kind of thing until I know it's been washed thoroughly. Bad experience with a caterpillar about the size of a AAA battery in a lettuce a few years ago. Either way, i'd like to know more aout it, so if you could do that copy-paste thing for me, that'd be nice.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:29:55 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »

Thank you, although it wasnt quite what I hoped for-why do they have that pic, anyway? :confused:
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »

why do they have that pic, anyway? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flooding_%28psychology%29

Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:54 AM »

Yeah, that's a nice idea Tongue

A big writing ball of caterpillars for dinner, delicious...(already started typing that before I got the mental image...not a good one)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 01:55:15 AM »

I actually had a terrible fear of hypodermic needles up until late 2006, and "flooding" helped me over it, somewhat.  I wound up getting poked with needles about 10 to 20 times last year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies