The Civil War (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:35:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Civil War (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Civil War  (Read 15833 times)
cpeeks
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

First of all it wasnt cemetery hill, it was culps hill that Ewell didnt take, it commanded the town, and Lee was the reason the south lasted so long. He was the greatest commander ever. Tactics today are based on him, speed and mobility. And slavery didnt become an issueuntill the emacipation proclamation, and it only applied to states still in rebellion and they were not gonna give them. Lol so in essence "the great emancipator" didnt free one slave the 13th amendement did.
cpeeks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »

I am not kidding anyone, Lincoln didnt send troops to free slaves. He sent them to stamp out the rebellion, the only reason he even issued the the proclomation was to take the moral high ground and keep Britian and France out of the war. LOL I mean really, when the battles were taking place do you really think southerners charged into yelling "keep the slaves", and the yankees were yelling "free the slaves"?
cpeeks
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »

It was more of the tarrifs imposed, the south had 20%of the population, but 80% of the tax burden......And yes the south would have took more casulties on the first day but it would collapsed union defenses sending them reeling towards washington, and the south then could have done what Longstreet wanted to pick out a good piece of high ground and then the north would have to attack. Lees aggression cost them Gettysburg and ultimately the war.
cpeeks
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »

I will have to find it for again, but just google protective tarriffs that will give you a good idea of how the north manufacturers were manipulating the southern economy by making the south pay higher tarriffs for there goods, thus causing  rescessions in the south.
cpeeks
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »

No the EP only applied to states still in rebellion it didnt apply to areas in union control or borders, and the states in rebellion were not going to give up there slaves,  the EP didnt free one slave the 13th amendment did.
cpeeks
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »

Those slaves were not freed. The EP didnt free slaves under Union control.
cpeeks
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »

The Emancipation Proclamation consists of two executive orders issued by United States President Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War. The first one, issued September 22, 1862, declared the freedom of all slaves in any state of the Confederate States of America that did not return to Union control by January 1, 1863
cpeeks
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »

The proclamation did not name the slave-holding border states of Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland, or Delaware, which had never declared a secession, and so it did not free any slaves there. The state of Tennessee had already mostly returned to Union control, so it also was not named and was exempted. Virginia was named, but exemptions were specified for the 48 counties that were in the process of forming West Virginia, as well as seven other named counties and two cities. Also specifically exempted were New Orleans and thirteen named parishes of Louisiana, all of which were also already mostly under Federal control at the time of the Proclamation.

cpeeks
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »

Republicans have always been for big business and the civil war was no different, the republicans got rich.
cpeeks
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »

U.S. Congress immediately passed the Morrill Tariff (the highest import tax in U.S. history), more than doubling the import tax rate from 20% to 47%. This tax served to bankrupt many Southerners. Though the Southern states represented only about 30% of the U.S. population, they paid 80% of the tariffs collected. Oppressive taxes, denial of the states' rights to govern their states, and an unrepresentative federal government pushed the Southern states to legally withdraw from the Union.

cpeeks
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »

That was not the source of my quote.
cpeeks
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 12:28:39 AM »

So what did started the Civil War? Tariffs. Taxation, without representation.
South Carolina had already foiled the 1828 "Tariff of Abominations" and had vowed to leave the Union if the Senate passed the 1861 Morrill tariff.
The bill immediately raised the average tariff rate from about 15 percent to 37.5 percent, but with a greatly expanded list of covered items. The tax burden would about triple. Soon thereafter, a second tariff increase would increase the average rate to 47.06 percent. The slap in the face was that 80% of the import tariffs were being paid by the South and revenues were mostly going to the Northern industries.
Lincoln literally promised in his first inaugural address a military invasion if the new, tripled tariff rate was not collected.
What this meant was, the South could not sell their goods to other countries at a world price.

If you doubt any of this, research for yourself. Go to books that were printed in the late 1800's
cpeeks
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 12:48:21 PM »

http://www.madisonjournaltoday.com/archives/966-OPINION-Journalists-write-first-draft-of-history,-but-seldom-get-it-right.html
cpeeks
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »

Sir I have checked your source also, and I was  not overly impressed with his "opinion" either.
cpeeks
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »

I read what you sent me I have not yet had a chance to research it through the Southern Historical Society as of yet, but from what I have gathered it seems that this gentleman was cherry picking in an attempt to discredit DiLorenzo.
cpeeks
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »

Your quote from Jeff Davis is in Feb, 1863. Furthering my poing that it became about slavery after Lincoln issued the emancipation proclomation.
cpeeks
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 03:40:34 AM »

PGT Beuraguard did not fire on Fort Sumpter to keep slaves, and Lincoln did not call for 75,000 troops to free slaves, he did it to put down the rebellion. Why dont you try again.
cpeeks
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »

Im sure when Pickett's, Trimble, and Pettigrew's divisions were charging the center at Gettsburg on the third day there battle cry was not keep the slaves, just like when Burnside's Grand Division were charging Marey's Heights at Fredricksburg were not screaming free's. The soldiers who fought the civil war were not fighting for slaves, lol slavery was not there battle cry. When you consider  90% of Rebel soldiers did not own slaves.
cpeeks
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 01:47:57 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2010, 01:50:02 AM by cpeeks »

I tried all in my power to avert this war. I saw it coming, for twelve years I worked night and day to prevent it, but I could not. The North was mad and blind; it would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came, and now it must go on till the last man of this generation falls in his tracks, and his children seize the musket and fight our battle, unless you acknowledge our right to self government. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for Independence, and that, or extermination.  President Jefferson Davis, Confederate States of America

Lol wow REALLY I MEAN REALLY?
cpeeks
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 02:08:45 AM »

Or maybe you would prefer this one

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world".
Abraham Lincoln-U.S. Congress 1847

A little over 10 years later after the South attempted precisely that , Lincoln, when asked, "Why not let the South go in peace"? replied; "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government"? "And, what then will become of my tariff"?
Abraham Lincoln to Virginia Compromise Delegation March 1861
cpeeks
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »

Haha good point.
cpeeks
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »

Ahh and I see you totally ignored the part about why he wouldnt let the south go.
cpeeks
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »

No I dont dislike your answer, I just dont agree with it.
cpeeks
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »

heres ya a few more
Charles Dickens views on the subject:

Union means so many millions a year lost to the South; secession means the loss of the same millions to the North. The love of money is the root of this, as of many other evils. The quarrel between the North and South is, as it stands, solely a fiscal quarrel.

Karl Marx seconded this view:

The war between the North and the South is a tariff war. The war is further, not for any principle, does not touch the question of slavery, and in fact turns on the Northern lust for sovereignty.

cpeeks
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 02:02:19 AM »

Well you seem to want to ignore the quotes I give you from Jeff Davis, and even Abe Lincoln.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies