Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:10:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration  (Read 5354 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
« edited: August 02, 2017, 12:51:55 PM by The Saint »

Not really in favor of cutting legal immigration. I just hope that if this passes it really does help the economy.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »

I can see the economic benefits to only admitting skilled workers, but then I can see the economic disadvantages to preventing low-skilled workers who do jobs most Americans don't want to do. It also could limit the amount of people that come to America to work and then return home with more money than they started with. That's what my ancestors did.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »

Isn't this similar to the Australian and Canadian systems?

I believe that, from what I read, it was inspired by the Camadian system.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 01:28:15 PM »

Trump did specifically say immigrants and minorities are being affected by higher levels as well.

Also why are people saying that stopping low skilled workers means stopping minorities? That doesn't seem right.

I highly HIGHLY doubt this is race based. Again, I would prefer to not see this passed, but I highly doubt there are any racial motives.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »

I highly HIGHLY doubt this is race based.

I don't know how anyone can make a statement like that with a straight face after Trump's campaign and its reception.
Because I don't believe "low-skilled" = minorities.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »

Trump did specifically say immigrants and minorities are being affected by higher levels as well.

Also why are people saying that stopping low skilled workers means stopping minorities? That doesn't seem right.

I highly HIGHLY doubt this is race based. Again, I would prefer to not see this passed, but I highly doubt there are any racial motives.

Indeed, skilled immigrants are MORE likely to be Indian, Chinese or educated Africans. A policy like this would certainly harm Latin American, Filipino and Hmong, but it's essentially trading one minority group for another.

Have to imagine this policy would also harm white immigrants from former Eastern Bloc countries, particularly in the Balkans and Caucasus
That's why this policy is pretty bad and why I still oppose it.  It ends up hurting at least one group in the end.  Again, benefits for some, losses for others.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies