BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:39:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32
Author Topic: BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey  (Read 41056 times)
I Won - Get Over It
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: May 10, 2017, 06:30:30 AM »

If you guys want to hear something terrifying it's that there's supposedly talks of naming Sherriff Clarke as the next FBI director.

You're just trolling, right? You can't really believe that someone's really discussing him?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #401 on: May 10, 2017, 06:38:26 AM »

If you guys want to hear something terrifying it's that there's supposedly talks of naming Sherriff Clarke as the next FBI director.

You're just trolling, right? You can't really believe that someone's really discussing him?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/09/sheriff-david-clarke-gets-mentions-possible-fbi-chief-following-comey-dismissal/101497826/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #402 on: May 10, 2017, 06:45:57 AM »

I was so tied up yesterday handling my duties in my little burg, that this is the first moment I became aware that Comey had bit the dust.

How analogous is this to a redux of the Nixon mass firing?  Was Comey getting to close too some smoking gun somewhere?  Just asking. I don't mean to be a drama queen. But as I say, I know nothing about this other then the firing itself.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #403 on: May 10, 2017, 06:53:52 AM »

The confirmation hearings for the new Director will be gripping, that's for sure.

More gripping or less gripping than Trump's p--sy grip?

Judging by his ranty little twitter spam this morning, it would appear that the so-called President is losing his grip. (Which was pretty tenuous to begin with.)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2017, 07:03:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Politico

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2017, 07:12:34 AM »

I was so tied up yesterday handling my duties in my little burg, that this is the first moment I became aware that Comey had bit the dust.

How analogous is this to a redux of the Nixon mass firing?  Was Comey getting to close too some smoking gun somewhere?  Just asking. I don't mean to be a drama queen. But as I say, I know nothing about this other then the firing itself.

I would say it's far more likely that Trump thought Comey was close to a smoking gun than that Comey was actually pursuing anything along those lines. Flynn is probably going to end up on trial, and maybe some other associates of the campaign. But proving enough collusion with Russia to take Trump down was going to be difficult. (While I do think Trump is likely guilty, I don't think Russia was going to hurt him as much as some people do. On the other hand, what functions are his conscience seems to be awfully twitchy over it, so maybe I'm wrong.)

Or maybe his refusal to publicly squash the whole investigation was getting on Trump's nerves. Maybe he just wanted to fire someone and felt compelled to play another round of The Apprentice: FBI Director.

Whatever the cause, the most Nixonian/Watergate aspect about the whole thing is that with the firing, Trump may have done more damage to himself than Comey or the Russia investigation ever could have. There are already reports alleging that the recommendations from Sessions and Rosenstein were written at Trump's request to give him cover for firing Comey, because Comey was refusing to stop the investigation. In my non-expert opinion, that looks an awful lot like prosecutable obstruction of justice. Constitutional crisis here we come?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »

Politico

To understand this White House you have always to keep in mind that the Trump administration is pretty corrupt, but at the same time they're also very incompetent in executing their corruption.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »

I would say it's far more likely that Trump thought Comey was close to a smoking gun than that Comey was actually pursuing anything along those lines. Flynn is probably going to end up on trial, and maybe some other associates of the campaign. But proving enough collusion with Russia to take Trump down was going to be difficult. (While I do think Trump is likely guilty, I don't think Russia was going to hurt him as much as some people do. On the other hand, what functions are his conscience seems to be awfully twitchy over it, so maybe I'm wrong.)

The likeliest it though that Trump knew there were no evidence whatsoever, because, you know, Trump likely didn't collaborate with Russians.

But his was fed up with media 'spin'  - 'there is something-something Russia Putin hack election Macron Le Pen, but can't say more because muuh classified information' Tongue

We know also that Trump wanted Comey to publicly dispute that. Comey refused.

Trump wrote:
He likely wanted Comey to publicly announce that.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2017, 07:39:25 AM »

Good, we should have fired him a long time ago. Sheriff Clarke for FBI! Then we can all bow down to the dear leader.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »

Half of the Dems in Congress wanted his head........now they have it. 
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »

I don't have a problem with Comey getting fired.

However the timing of this is highly suspect. If he were going to let Comey go, it should've been either before or after the investigation--not during. Anyone who disagrees with that only does so for political reasons.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #411 on: May 10, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »

When all is said and done, I have a feeling that this administration is going to be compared with that of Harding's.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #412 on: May 10, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »

Or maybe his refusal to publicly squash the whole investigation was getting on Trump's nerves. Maybe he just wanted to fire someone and felt compelled to play another round of The Apprentice: FBI Director.

Whatever the cause, the most Nixonian/Watergate aspect about the whole thing is that with the firing, Trump may have done more damage to himself than Comey or the Russia investigation ever could have. There are already reports alleging that the recommendations from Sessions and Rosenstein were written at Trump's request to give him cover for firing Comey, because Comey was refusing to stop the investigation. In my non-expert opinion, that looks an awful lot like prosecutable obstruction of justice. Constitutional crisis here we come?

Thanks. Very helpful - and seemingly "fair and balanced." And very insightful and well written to boot! Smiley
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #413 on: May 10, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »

Trump being Trump is back.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #414 on: May 10, 2017, 07:54:09 AM »

CNN reporting now that Roger Stone told/suggested to Trump to fire Comey.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #415 on: May 10, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »

Trump being Trump is back.

Behaving like a demented freak? Sure sounds like it.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #416 on: May 10, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »

CNN reporting now that Roger Stone told/suggested to Trump to fire Comey.
FAKE NEWS
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/862290442129461249
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #417 on: May 10, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »

As Dave Weigel pointed out, it's bizarre to attack Blumenthal who isn't on the ballot again till 2022.

Well....we got a replacement mix of Christie, Giuliani, Clarke.....great times to be alive.

btw

Loretta Lynch privately says hi to Bill Clinton = apoplectic rage
Comey discusses investigation into Trump with Trump three times = silence
https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/862278358226350081
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #418 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »

Hypocrisy and fake outrage? Dems had been calling for months for the firing of Comey!
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/862289377405394944

Rand, Marco and Ted really are a triumvirate of hackery and spine-less-ness.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #419 on: May 10, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »

The issue is not his termination but rather the timing of it.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #420 on: May 10, 2017, 08:15:53 AM »

Bretibart’s Matt Boyle: Comey firing “the latest in a political outsider’s crusade against entrenched Washington”

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/862290491190149121
EnglishPete

« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »

Joel Pollack has suggested a very plausible reason for the timing. James Clapper's testimony on Monday that there was no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia and that therefore Trump couldn't be reasonably accused of trying to cover up this conspiracy.

Of course it hasn't stopped Dems and their allies in the media unreasonably accusing Trump in their ever more histrionic pushing of this tired conspiracy theory but there's not much that can be done about that.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/09/james-comey-simple-explanation/
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #422 on: May 10, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »

Joel Pollack has suggested a very plausible reason for the timing. James Clapper's testimony on Monday that there was no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia and that therefore Trump couldn't be reasonably accused of trying to cover up this conspiracy.

Of course it hasn't stopped Dems and their allies in the media unreasonably accusing Trump in their ever more histrionic pushing of this tired conspiracy theory but there's not much that can be done about that.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/09/james-comey-simple-explanation/

I'm not even going to bother reading anything you post if you're going to quote Breitbart.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #423 on: May 10, 2017, 08:37:55 AM »

Every investigation the FBI had open as of yesterday is still open today.  They're just going to have a different mouthpiece testifying before Congress.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #424 on: May 10, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »

The biggest problem Camp Trump is going to have trying to sell that narrative is that for months they praised Comey for how he was handling the investigation into Hillary's emails and now all of a sudden they use that as an excuse to fire him.  Worse, in his firing letter, Trump goes out of his way to mention Comey telling Trump three times that he didn't yet have evidence of Trump doing anything illegal vis-a-vis Russia.  It's the sort of mention that makes one think Trump doubted he'd get lucky a fourth time since Comey wouldn't bring the investigation into possible campaign collusion with Russia to a halt.

Actually, what I think sealed Comey's fate was for the last week or so, the narrative had been that Comey's admittedly inept handling of information into the investigation of Clinton's emails was what enabled Trump to win.  Trump likes to believe he won the election all by himself.  The idea that Russia or Comey was what pushed him over the top is simply unacceptable to the crybaby-in-chief.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies