Carter Reelected in 1980. What Happens? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:59:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Carter Reelected in 1980. What Happens? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Carter Reelected in 1980. What Happens?  (Read 3567 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« on: July 11, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »
« edited: July 11, 2004, 08:29:05 PM by John Ford »

1980:

First of all, the hostages are not released.  They remain in captivity four three more years.  The Republicans retake control of the House and Senate in 1982 on a platfrom of forcing Carter to act to release the hostages (It has now been well over 3 years).  Carter does not act quickly, and he has articles of impeachment filed against him.  He finds himself forced to act, and he tries another Desert One style operation.  It fails.

The economy continues its downward slide.  The contractionary monetary policies of Volcker get inflation under control by late 1983, but at great cost.  Without any stimulus on the tax-cut side, unemployment stands at 19%.  Carter's approval rating drops to 26%.  He is impeached and removed from office in April of 1984.  Walter Mondale is a crippled President from day one, and also fails to release the hostages or bring back the economy.  He does not seek election to a full term.

The Democratic candidates are Gary Hart, John Glenn, and Ted Kennedy.  The Republicans are Bob Dole, Harold Baker, George Bush, and Jack Kemp.  In the general it will be Gary Hart/Scoop Jackson versus Bob Dole and Jack Kemp.  The Repubs win.  I don't know if they couldfix the problem, but they'd win.

1984:
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 08:32:55 PM »

But could he have been the pick after he was tainted by the Reagan defeat?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 10:25:52 PM »

Ernest,

Technically the deal was worked out under the last days of Carter's Presidency, but that timing was largely to embarrass him as the new President took office.  I think it is unlikely that they'd have been released if Carter was re-elected.

As per the specifics of the scenario Beet presented, to be honest I hadn't read it. Grin  I think the economy still stinks under a second term of Carter.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies