Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:29:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 73
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 161655 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »

Uuuggghhh. I hope this doesn't help him. He needs to go. I hope the voters still remember the shady circumstances of the appointment.
#NeverStrange

The fact that Strange is outspending Moore 15 to 1 and his "best" poll is still showing him trailing Moore by 2 should tell you all you need to know about his supposed "electability" in the general election.

If Strange isn't electable in a GE in Alabama, then Moore isn't either.

What?!? Moore's approval ratings are MUCH better than Strange's.. Moore is just as electable if not more than Strange.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #251 on: September 01, 2017, 12:35:28 AM »

This is an interesting election that's starting to show the fracture lines in the post-2016 GOP.

On the actual, identitarian, hard right: People like Palin, Bannon, local Alabama politicians, emphasis on local. The kind of leaders who probably voted for George Wallace III. Moore has a strong backing from the Alabama religious community - no surprise there.

Strange is being backed by the money. Mitch McConnell, Trump's (halfhearted, by most rumors and common sense) endorsement, Richard Shelby.. but also orgs like the NRA and Right to Life. Those are dedicated power structures with decades of experience and their sticking by Strange should be no surprise.

The trick: short of money, the latter group doesn't seem to be pulling lots of popularity. Trump's personally on that hard right (which is the natural ending point for libertarians) but his position and diplomacy with Congress requires working with established interests like McConnell. Elect an ideologue who's also hard right and the entire GOP machine will gum up.

Strange might be making a comeback but it's too hard to tell at the moment.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #252 on: September 01, 2017, 03:27:11 AM »

The best result for Democratic candidate in Alabama's Senate elections since Shelby's switch was in 1996, when Roger Bedford got about 45.5% in open race (against Sessions, BTW). I doubt that Jones will be able to surpass this result, but, at least, hope for 40+%
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #253 on: September 01, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »

Are there any conservative third party candidates running?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #254 on: September 01, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »

Are there any conservative third party candidates running?

I don't think so.  It would be hard to get much more conservative than Moore and Strange.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »

Roy Moore doesn't seem to know what DACA and DREAMers are.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/roy-moore-leading-candidate-in-alabama-senate-race-doesnt-know-what-daca-is/article/2633200
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »

lol... I weep
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #257 on: September 01, 2017, 02:50:52 PM »

Well, say hello to our general election matchup:

vs.

varesurgent
Rookie

« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »

Has Moore's two time removal from the state supreme court been a campaign issue at all?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »

It will be in the general if Moore is somehow the nominee, but it's not advantageous for Strange to bring it up in the primary - R primary voters either think more highly of Moore because of the explusions, or don't care either way.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »

Well, there we have it. Moore gets his and Pittman's voters, and Strange gets the balance. Result: Strange wins Runoff 54-46.

again.

why would brooks voters vote for Strange?

Both are establishment republicans.

The term "establishment" means nothing if you are going to use it to refer to a member of the Freedom Caucus.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA BROOKS AN ESTABLISHMENT REPUBLICAN

i mean do you read what you're typing

Brooks is a Cruz-wing Republican who said that there was a "War on Whites". He primaried an incumbent. Brooks is anti-establishment, just as anti-establishment as Roy Moore.

I have confidence in the sanity of the Alabama Republicans who did not vote for Moore or Pittman in the primary. While both Rs are terrible, Strange is clearly less terrible.

Are we that far removed from 2016 that people are now failing to realize that being "less terrible" won't win you elections?

The mainstream Alabama GOP are as far right as you get anywhere in this country, but there are even worse people hiding in the shadows who will come out and vote for Moore because they actually agree with his lunacy.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #261 on: September 10, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »

Well, there we have it. Moore gets his and Pittman's voters, and Strange gets the balance. Result: Strange wins Runoff 54-46.

again.

why would brooks voters vote for Strange?

Both are establishment republicans.

The term "establishment" means nothing if you are going to use it to refer to a member of the Freedom Caucus.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA BROOKS AN ESTABLISHMENT REPUBLICAN

i mean do you read what you're typing

Brooks is a Cruz-wing Republican who said that there was a "War on Whites". He primaried an incumbent. Brooks is anti-establishment, just as anti-establishment as Roy Moore.

I have confidence in the sanity of the Alabama Republicans who did not vote for Moore or Pittman in the primary. While both Rs are terrible, Strange is clearly less terrible.

Are we that far removed from 2016 that people are now failing to realize that being "less terrible" won't win you elections?

The mainstream Alabama GOP are as far right as you get anywhere in this country, but there are even worse people hiding in the shadows who will come out and vote for Moore because they actually agree with his lunacy.

Not to mention that Strange ran pretty vicious attacks against Brooks before the runoff IIRC.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #262 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »

To hell with the potential ad bait. The DSCC and DNC need to go all-in on fueling Jones and burying Moore.
UncleSam

« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »

Lol Jones is not going to win this probably helps Moore in Alabama as disgusting as that is

Hope Strange pulls off a miracle in the runoff I guess
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #264 on: September 12, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »

Alabama should be forcibly expelled from the union if it puts this psycho in the Senate.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #265 on: September 12, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »

F**k it, I endorse Jones, this man cannot be allowed into the Senate. (This is if Moore wins the primary of course.)
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2017, 03:37:27 PM »

Talk about crazy. I legitimately think Jones can win this. It comes down to turnout 100% though. I can Alabaman Republicans not turning out much, considering how much of a mess its GOP has been lately.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »

F**k it, I endorse Jones, this man cannot be allowed into the Senate. (This is if Moore wins the primary of course.)

If it makes you feel any better, Jones is probably the best possible Democrat for a Republican to endorse. Why? His seat is up again in 2020, so if he beets Moore, he could lose in 2020 to a less batsh**t crazy candidate, which would be your best possible outcome.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »

Talk about crazy. I legitimately think Jones can win this. It comes down to turnout 100% though. I can Alabaman Republicans not turning out much, considering how much of a mess its GOP has been lately.

Not to mention that even the state's Religious Right have had a long history of balking at Moore. It takes a lot for a Republican to be infamous in Alabama, and Moore has done it. He is to Alabama what Arpaio is to Arizona.
kyc0705

« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »

this probably helps Moore in Alabama as disgusting as that is

I have a hard time believing that voters in any state, even a deeply conservative one, support the systemic execution of gay people in significant enough numbers for this to help. Then again, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »

this probably helps Moore in Alabama as disgusting as that is

I have a hard time believing that voters in any state, even a deeply conservative one, support the systemic execution of gay people in significant enough numbers for this to help. Then again, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic.

Gay marriage isn't even a huge issue any more. The public conscience has shifted dramatically since Obergefell - even in states like Alabama, where they've at least become less intolerant. Moore's stance is on the absolute most insane of fringes, and Jones and the DSCC need to absolutely level him for it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »

Lol Jones is not going to win this probably helps Moore in Alabama as disgusting as that is

Hope Strange pulls off a miracle in the runoff I guess

Come on. I know Alabama is a right-wing state but I wouldn't say this would help him.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »

Please Jones, stop this madman.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #273 on: September 12, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »

This disgusting man is truly evil. He's not just ambitious, wrong or opportunistic like other terrible politicians. He's evil.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #274 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »

I wonder. If Strange loses the primary, which is practically a guarantee at this point, is there any chance he does a Dardenne and backs Jones? If it happened, I'm reasonably sure it would be the death of Moore's campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies