Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:17:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 160189 times)
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »

F**k it, I endorse Jones, this man cannot be allowed into the Senate. (This is if Moore wins the primary of course.)

If it makes you feel any better, Jones is probably the best possible Democrat for a Republican to endorse. Why? His seat is up again in 2020, so if he beets Moore, he could lose in 2020 to a less batsh**t crazy candidate, which would be your best possible outcome.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »

Bret Baier doesn't want to give Jones any leverage. If Strange was safe in the primary, I could see Baier bringing up ExecutionGate to laugh at Moore even more, but given that there is a significant risk of Moore being nominated, representatives of the GOP must avoid criticizing him to avoid helping Jones gain support.
Bret Baier isn't exactly a "representative of the GOP".  According to a Harvard study, his show is virtually right down the middle- 51% anti-Trump and 49% pro-Trump (which makes it the most right-wing flagship telecast, but it is ever so slightly left-leaning).

Special Report has always been a favorite of anti-Trump "Republicans". To call it left-leaning, even slightly, is hyperbole. It's a fair and serious, but center-right show that attracts a center-right audience.

Maybe we should use politicians to describe where a show leans/where its baises are. Like a slightly center-left show would be a Tim Kaine or something. This is clearly a Ben Sasse
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »

I voted Lean R because of my own optimism, but I could see it being Likely R as well. Jones could win, but honestly probably won't if we have Presidential turnout in an inelastic state.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:17:02 PM »

Looks like Luther Strange is winning so far!! [/s]
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »

Looks like Luther Strange is winning so far!! [/s]

Literally less than 10 seconds after I posted this Strange lost his lead
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 03:46:22 PM »

A Strange internal poll found that McConnell's favorability was just 10% among AL Republicans.

https://twitter.com/arogdc/status/913119533094903810

If Jones could somehow tie Moore to McConnell and the Republican establishment, he could stand to gain bigly.

Except that'll be very difficult because of Luther Strange.

The best I can do is tie Moore to the likes of Cruz and Paul, and tie THEM to McConnell. As a citation, use the skinny repeal vote. The message being that no matter how outsidery they seem, in the end they're going to be footsoldiers for McConnell.

Or make an argument that Jones would be much more likely to buck his party leadership, work in the center, and reach across the isle. IDK how good Manchin's name recognition is in AL, but we could have him campaign for Jones, on the basis that he's also a conservative dem in a red state who seems to be doing a good job
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 07:05:49 PM »

That could easily hurt Jones. People tend to take pride in the state they live in.

Jones has such little room to mess up.

I think the only people likely to care very much about this are already planning to vote for Moore.

I hate the double standard where republicans can get away with saying their country/state is terrible and we can do better. But if a democrat does it its automatically a travesty.

Heck Trump said the people of Iowa were stupid because cruz won and they voted for him by a sizable margin in the general election.

People say Democrats get slaughtered in West Virginia because of me or "elitist liberals like me" who look down on the state. Last time I checked, Republicans bash Massachusetts, Vermont, etc. far more than Democrats bash West Virginia, but it hasn't stopped them from winning there.

Like a staple of Bush's 2004 campaign was about how horrible Massachusetts is lol. Have Democrats ever done a similar strategy with West Virginia, or ANY state for that matter?

At the federal level, they do get slaughtered because of people like you.

Tomblin wasn't a fake Democrat and was a relatively popular two term governor. And the number of Democrats in the WV legislature is comparable to the number of Republicans in the Massachussets state legislature. Hell, 21% of lower house members are Republican in MA, while 36% of lower house members are Democrats in WV.

And contrary to what you may think, Manchin will win re-election.

Tomblin and Manchin were re-elected in 2012, at the same time Obama was re-elected. Obama's re-election was the last straw for Racist WV Hicks, who will now never vote for any member of the anti-white hate group (i.e. Democratic Party) again unless they're a Republican mole like Jim Justice.

Manchin is going to get Blanched/Thompsoned/Manchined (will be a new term in a year.) His chances of winning are about as high as Ted Strickland sweeping the WV-esque parts of Ohio were.

I will concede it is possible Manchin loses, but if he does, it will be far from a blow out.

TFW when IceSpear comes back as the mirror image of TNVol but about WV.

FTFY
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »

Comments sections are not representative of any sample population, thank goodness.

The last one raises some good points, though.

The question of "why now?" has a simple answer. That answer is that with the downfall of people like Harvey Weinstein and Louis CK and Kevin Spacey, women now feel empowered to speak the truth about people who sexually assaulted them. This is new in our culture.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies