NDP Leadership Convention 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:49:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 73765 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 21, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »

From what little I know, I think Julian or Jagmeet Singh would be good NDP leaders. Singh more for a Trudeau-esque vibe.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »

I feel like he'll be either one of the best NDP leaders if he wins, or one of the worst.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:02:26 PM »

Well, what I mean is, he seems to be the type of politician where you love him or you hate him, and one that would never be called "average". I don't know much Canadian political history, but to me it's like the difference between FDR and say, James Buchanan. One is extremely talented and considered one of the greatest Democrats, and the other is considered one of the worst.

I think Jagmeet Singh will be like that. I think his leadership will be either really good or really bad, but not forgettable or mediocre.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »

From what I understand, Jagmeet is Obama-level charismatic, and has pretty good campaigning skills, right? He sounds like an excellent candidate, though not without his flaws (he appears to have a taste for the expensive).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »

So why isn't Singh "catching fire", so to speak? He seems like an obvious front-runner for the NDP leadership, especially since he seems to have the charisma that the other candidates lack.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 11:03:03 PM »

Ashton is unquestionably the weakest potential leader. Voters would go running to to the Liberals.

This post is gonna look crazy when Niki Ashton randomly wins the leadership race and - even more oddly - the next general election and henceforth places a ban on white people wearing dreadlocks.
This is the greatest post I've ever seen.

Caron and Ashton's support of Bill 62 is disgusting. If either of them win the election, I'm not sure I can continue to support the NDP. I found Mulcair's unwavering support of the niqab even when it was a losing political issue in Quebec admirable.

I don't want to be in a party that would be fine with a province actively going after a religious and ethnic minority. It's a shame, because I really thought Niki Ashton was more principled than that. Before the whole bill 62 debacle, my ballot was the following.

1. Singh
2. Ashton
3. Angus
4. Caron

Now, it's just Singh and then Angus. If either Caron or Ashton wins (especially Caron, who's been most supportive of the bill), then I'll have to reconsider my allegiance to the party. At least Trudeau's always been opposed to Quebec's increasingly zealous racism masked as "secularism".

I would say it's Singh and Angus inability to understand Quebec isn't English Canada that's disgusting.

What's there not to get? There's no magic 'it's ok to discriminate" card that Quebec gets to play because it's special.

Banning using a government job to prozelytisation ends isn't discrimination. I support grandfathering current employees, through.
It's not banning "prozelytisation" (which isn't a word), but rather banning Muslims and Sikhs from observing their religion. It's bigotry, plain and simple.
Yeah, I don't see how wearing religious clothing and symbols counts as "proselyting". If they aren't saying anything or handing out religious literature, or anything like that, and are just wearing symbols of their faith, I don't see how a ban on such is justified.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies