Will we see "Denverization" in any other mountain west/great plains state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:26:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will we see "Denverization" in any other mountain west/great plains state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will we see "Denverization" in any other mountain west/great plains state?  (Read 1542 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 24, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
« edited: September 24, 2019, 07:38:03 AM by Edgar Suit Larry »

Of course a lot of these changes can be blunted for a while by the local Republican party being very good at using micro targeting to peel away D votes throughout the D base while keeping the R base solid. Mostly through focusing on retail politics and local issues at the first sign of demographic decline. This has worked really well in Florida but the Democrats in the Northeast may have overused it but now might need it as more people leave the smaller states though I imagine Vermont will always be D because its a boutique area.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:37:32 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2019, 10:46:36 AM by Edgar Suit Larry »

A combination of in-migration and shift in party stance is needed to rapidly turn a region to/from a political party.  And of course, the smaller the state, the more likely the shift.  Vermont is a good example of this--a small state that was always Republican but in the New England/Northeast/moderate stance.  A small migration of people into Vermont and the rightward movement of the Republican Party took about a generation for the entire state to switch parties.

I could see hip places like Boise and Salt Lake City continue to trend leftward and could move their corresponding states move in that direction.  Not to change the state (because they are simply too conservative) but at least to win more congressional and state legislature seats (and potentially become competitive at the statewide level for gubernatorial and Senate races).

Of course this is all hoping that there is ticket splitting in the future. There should be but it hasn’t looked too good for it lately. In Utah and Idaho, I definitely see each state having a swing district while the rest of those districts are unanimously Republican save for the usual suspects.

Basically people "trying to get away from it all"(my parents) or who don't have anywhere else to go (me my first year out of college) that are the only people who are voting Democrat in districts like that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies