DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:05:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20
Author Topic: DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data  (Read 42510 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2015, 05:16:35 AM »

The question is whether they lost access to their own files. It's bad enough that they were suddenly cut off from valuable DNC voter information just 45 days before the Iowa caucuses.
Their own data would be useless without the Voter Identification Number that is part of the Votebuilder system.

And you are right, this is very bad for the Sanders campaign, and from the reporting I have seen, it is going to get worse tomorrow.

If the DNC doesn't restore access tommorrow, Bernie needs to make a threat to have a 3rd party run. The debate schedule was ridiculous enough. This would be the final straw.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:35 AM »

Also this was a staffer and he was fired so i doubt this will hurt Sanders. (even though DWS will try)

SCANDAL AS WORKER'S ALLY SANDERS FIRES LOW LEVEL EMPLOYEE!!

also lmao all round: at the DNC, at jfern furiously spinning, at this "scandal". lol

You dont think DWS is solidily on clintons side? Anywho non news since it was a few month ago.

Actually, DWS is solidly on DWS's side; and is loyal to nobody else.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2015, 10:26:50 AM »

This is really starting to look bad for the Sanders campaign. Not surprising when you run a presidential campaign like a cult, I guess. But if the NATIONAL DATA DIRECTOR is the fall guy here, you have to wonder how high up the ladder this really went.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »

Sanders should really be disqualified, arrested, and thrown in prison for this gross violation of campaign law.  He clearly is a tyrant waiting in the wings, and a man who has zero regard for the democratic process.  But unfortunately he's a member of the protected elite and will only receive a slap on the wrist at best for his truly horrific crime.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »

I wonder if this will backfire.

When there's an appearance of shenanigans, I've observed that turnout increases among Democrats.

For example, attempts to keep Rahm Emanuel and Mike Duggan off the ballot in their first mayoral bids led to increased support.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »

I wonder if this will backfire.

When there's an appearance of shenanigans, I've observed that turnout increases among Democrats.

For example, attempts to keep Rahm Emanuel and Mike Duggan off the ballot in their first mayoral bids led to increased support.

Yeah, the Sandernistas are fanatics and genuinely cultish.  The man could be caught on tape praising ISIS and beheading a Clinton staffer and the Berniebros would still find a way to spin it and launch sexist teenager attacks against Clinton/DWS.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »

This is a real issue. Suspending VAN access is a tangible and direct indicator of favoritism. I don't care what Clinton supporters say or how they want to posture. I've scolded Sanders supporters chronically in the past for crying "conspiracy" about a ton of stuff, but this is structurally creating advantages and disadvantages for various campaigns. The Sanders campaign itself can likely afford to buy access to the VAN if needed, but based on the costs associated with buying access just to one congressional district (which can be thousands of dollars), purchasing national voter file access is something that could easily cost 7 figures. The Sanders campaign isn't going to be able to prove that it has deleted any data obtained during this ordeal. Logically, it makes as much sense (i.e.: none) to blame Clinton's campaign and suspend them for not keeping their data confidential.

ITT: a bunch of dips[inks]ts who have no idea how VAN works.  If you've administered VAN accounts before, then please tell me. As someone who has administered VAN at a county level for years and at various times has administered/had access to VAN on the congressional & state levels, I can tell you that Sanders' people didn't do anything wrong.

Upon observing that something was wrong, I would first need to figure out exactly what is wrong and to what extent there is a problem. That then gets reported to the statewide VAN admin or equivalent person up the chain of command, who will then either remedy a solution or continue the troubleshooting up the chain of command. Otherwise, I can't report anything ("oh I think something is wrong but I better not look to see what specifically is wrong" - the first thing higher-up VAN admin is going to ask is "what is wrong specifically?"). If you can't articulate details about the problem, then you're wasting valuable time and anyone associated with VAN higher up isn't going to take the problem as seriously. Outlining the extent of the breach helps determine the priority to which a solution is rendered.

That's exactly what the Sanders data admin did. There is no formal security protocol or whatever conveyed to VAN admins on how to handle issues like this.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2015, 11:43:55 AM »

Another important point to consider is this: fairly objectively, the Clinton campaign is going to be more organized and sophisticated than the Sanders campaign in just about every area. They have more employees, they have what is likely "better" employees, and an overall better campaign infrastructure with respect to those being paid. That should translate into more people working in each area at any given time.

If this data breach was observed by the Sanders campaign in such a short window of time, then it's very likely that the Clinton campaign also observed the issue as well - which means they saw Sanders' data. Somebody in Clinton's campaign likely made the judgement call that they had more to gain by seeing Sanders' data than to lose by Sanders' campaign potentially seeing theirs. Let's also remember that this wasn't the first time that a problem like this occurred, and it was Sanders' campaign that reported it then (and didn't leak it to the media like the DNC obviously did).

But...I don't think placing the burden at the Clinton campaign's feet to "prove" that they didn't see the data is any less ridiculous than asking the Sanders campaign to prove that they no longer have any access to the Clinton campaign's compromised data - especially considering that the Clinton campaign may very well have comparable data as well.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »

If this data breach was observed by the Sanders campaign in such a short window of time, then it's very likely that the Clinton campaign also observed the issue as well - which means they saw Sanders' data. Somebody in Clinton's campaign likely made the judgement call that they had more to gain by seeing Sanders' data than to lose by Sanders' campaign potentially seeing theirs. Let's also remember that this wasn't the first time that a problem like this occurred, and it was Sanders' campaign that reported it then (and didn't leak it to the media like the DNC obviously did).

You're falling into the same trap jfern did, getting angry at Clinton for something you made up in your mind. I don't disagree with what you said prior to this but then you fall into fanfiction land here.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »

Hopefully Bernie does the right thing and drops out after this criminal scandal. How far up did this go?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »

You're falling into the same trap jfern did, getting angry at Clinton for something you made up in your mind. I don't disagree with what you said prior to this but then you fall into fanfiction land here.

You are clearly a shill paid off for by the illumina---I mean that ev0l woman DWS and the DNC.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »

Hopefully Bernie does the right thing and drops out after this criminal scandal. How far up did this go?

Read the thread. Only one staffer was involved in this, and that staffer has already been fired. And in reality, the blame lies with the DNC vendor, not the Sanders campaign.

And if Sanders should drop out over this, then Clinton should do the same over emailgate. Stop pretending this is worse than that.

Sanders needs to threaten a third-party run.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/677893182907138048

People who are trying to spin this as no big deal have their heads in the sand. This is a huge scandal and a betrayal of the party's trust.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »

It's not fanfiction. One has to make an assumption regarding the Clinton campaign's likelihood of accessing or not accessing the data since no statement has been made on the matter with regards to accessing it*. Given the obvious organizational discrepancies between the two campaigns, it makes more sense to assume that the more sophisticated and data-driven campaign with more employees discovered the very same issue than to assume that it did not.

*VAN stated that "our team removed access to the affected data, and determined that only one campaign took actions that could possibly have led to it retaining data to which it should not have had access". To anyone who has used VAN substantially, this would strike them as a potentially-purposeful distinguisher: the difference between merely accessing/seeing it and actually saving or exporting it via PDF, spreadsheet, etc.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »

People who are trying to spin this as no big deal have their heads in the sand. This is a huge scandal and a betrayal of the party's trust.

Tbh this is probably the biggest campaign scandal since Watergate. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »

Lief's link kind of proves my point in my last reply, which I submitted less than a minute after he did. DNC is articulating that Sanders' guy actually backed up the data (which can be observed via VAN) as opposed to simply observing it or accessing it. My original point was that Clinton's team - based on its prowess and the lack thereof of Sanders' - more likely than not observed the breach all the same and inspected it, but did not report it or leave fingerprints by backing it up (based on the wording of VAN's statement).
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

Again, one staffer was involved, no one else. I fail to see why this effects the entire campaign, or why it's okay for Hillary to stay in with emailgate but this is supposed to end Sanders' campaign.

And the fact that it was downloaded rejects the notion I've read elsewhere that it is "impossible" to prove it has been deleted.

If DWS doesn't regrant access soon, Sanders needs to make a serious threat to mount a third party run.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »

Again, one staffer was involved, no one else. I fail to see why this effects the entire campaign, or why it's okay for Hillary to stay in with emailgate but this is supposed to end Sanders' campaign.

And the fact that it was downloaded rejects the notion I've read elsewhere that it is "impossible" to prove it has been deleted.

If DWS doesn't regrant access soon, Sanders needs to make a serious threat to mount a third party run.

Apparently 4 accounts accessed that data.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »

Yes, four accounts, including the National Data Director who is a senior staffer. Wulfric continues to dishonestly spin this as "just a little old staffer" though.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »

Here's a statement from NGP apologizing for the bug:
http://blog.ngpvan.com/news/data-security-and-privacy
Zache

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-12-18/sanders-campaign-fires-data-director-after-breach-of-clinton-files

Press conference soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdMjkBZJMQ
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »

Funny that Martin Shrklrk and Bernie Sanders get arrested for fraud only a day apart.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »

Funny that Martin Shrklrk and Bernie Sanders get arrested for fraud only a day apart.

Except Sanders hasn't actually been arrested...
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »

Sanders is lawyering up and heading to federal court to fight the DNC. He of course knows that the only way out of this one is to make the DNC the boogeyman in all of this, even though it was his campaign that accessed and downloaded data. If you notice, during the press conference, the spokesman never said that staffer's position. Sanders is just as much a politician as anyone else in the race, and this event merely confirms that he's just as "dishonest" as anyone else.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 01:20:30 PM »

The liberal wing of the Dems should have picked someone better than Sanders. He has that Ron Paul feel to him, but he is nowhere near the same type of candidate

Look at the endorsements.  They've already picked someone better than Sanders.  Her name is Hillary Clinton.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies