Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:59:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 86181 times)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »

I hate this primary. And for once can Bernie's supporters not act like crazed Jehovah's Witnesses on the street.
WHo you backing bro?
No one Kyle
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #351 on: March 14, 2019, 03:56:30 PM »

I hate this primary. And for once can Bernie's supporters not act like crazed Jehovah's Witnesses on the street.

Im starting to feel that this is an automated response.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #352 on: March 14, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »

WHo you backing bro?
No one Kyle
I sincerely hope you are not comparing me to either Kyle from South Park or Kyle Kulinski, known f(inks)boi.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #353 on: March 14, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »

Hmmmm....im listening Beto

Trust his conservative record, not his liberal promises. Let's not fall into this trap again.

This. Beto is Obama 2.0.

Sounds great to me.  I'd take Obama back in a heartbeat.  

Are there people stupid enough to believe that accusing Beto of being Obama 2.0 is going to hurt him?
This is the Democratic primary people, not the Communist party one.
Last time I checked, wanting single payer and free college is not communist.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #354 on: March 14, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »

If he doesn't support single payer he can get lost. People are dying in this country because they don't have healthcare,  we don't have time for "bipartisanship"
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #355 on: March 14, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »

Beto is still a much more favourable option to me than Hillary Clinton was (as of now).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #356 on: March 14, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »

Not to be Mr. BOTH SIDEZ DOIT, because I acknowledge that some of Sanders's supporters are being absurd purists, but let's not act like all of the vitriol is coming from one candidate's supporters. This is going to be a very ugly primary, and probably through little to no fault of the candidates themselves.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #357 on: March 14, 2019, 04:41:38 PM »

If he doesn't support single payer he can get lost. People are dying in this country because they don't have healthcare,  we don't have time for "bipartisanship"
Multi payer is better and more practical but okay.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »

So some of Harris’ rabid supporters on Twitter don’t do the same?
SCNCmod

« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2019, 05:28:37 PM by SCNCmod »

I'm neutral on Beto. I think he would be a decent VP or Cabinet Secretary but not President.

Also, Beto is more of a motivational speaker than President lol. Beto seems like he's being naive that if he became President that Republicans will care about "unity".

To start with... I think people often confuse the intended meaning of unity (candidates like Beto- and Obama- use it to mean positivity & civility... Not let's all agree on policy issues).  Also as a means of cutting out the sophomorish drama of politics (argue about policy- not side issue or petty personal attacks).

I also think people are wildly underestimating Beto's savvy & drive to win.  Part of his nice guy talk- is that he knows this is his strength and what sets him apart.  But although I do think such is his genuine nature... I think he can pull out a few elbows when needed and when staying consistent with the optimistic nice guy message is not advantageous. But above all I think he is far more politically astute than people realize.  After all, he started his congressional career by challenging and beating a Democratic in the Primary.. who was an 8 term Hispanic Congressman (in an 80% Hispanic District).  And although people focus on the fact that he lost the Senate race... he did better than probably any Dem in the national could have done running in Texas (Winning more votes than any Dem in the history of the state in any election... including Hillary & Obama).  Those 2 accomplishments alone should indicate that he's not a push over or naive.

People said the same things regarding Obama, regarding Kennedy ... and both turned out to be good presidents.  Being able to inspire may be more important for a President than a policy expert... after all the Congress formulates most policy initiatives..and policy advisers.  The President just needs good judgement & the ability to inspire.

The qualities Beto possesses can make for a very good President (but are awful qualities for a VP or a Cabinet Position)... Someone with the qualities & strengths of Elizabeth Warren are the one that are great for a Cabinet Position.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:45 PM »

The problem is Obama’s presidency led to the rise of Trump. Another Obama will lead to another Trump and will not address the fundamental problems of the country.

So it's Obama's fault that angry white men couldn't accept the fact that a black man was elected president twice and to retaliate decided to vote for an unabashed racist and sexual predator.
That's a hot take if I ever saw one.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2019, 05:09:31 PM »

This has been a rather lackluster rollout so far. Who's on his staff?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »

Does he even have staff besides a few Austin consultants and a traveling aide?
James Monroe

« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »

The problem is Obama’s presidency led to the rise of Trump. Another Obama will lead to another Trump and will not address the fundamental problems of the country.

So it's Obama's fault that angry white men couldn't accept the fact that a black man was elected president twice and to retaliate decided to vote for an unabashed racist and sexual predator.

That's why the bros are hellbent on nominating one of the three white male nominees. So many of them believe the American electorate can't handle a WOC candidate or any sort of minority because meh white people think they're SJW'S.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »

I'm neutral on Beto. I think he would be a decent VP or Cabinet Secretary but not President.

Also, Beto is more of a motivational speaker than President lol. Beto seems like he's being naive that if he became President that Republicans will care about "unity".

To start with... I think people often confuse the intended meaning of unity (candidates like Beto- and Obama- use it to mean positivity & civility... Not let's all agree on policy issues).  Also as a means of cutting out the sophomorish drama of politics (argue about policy- not side issue or petty personal attacks).

I also think people are wildly underestimating Beto's savvy & drive to win.  Part of his nice guy talk- is that he knows this is his strength and what sets him apart.  But although I do think such is his genuine nature... I think he can pull out a few elbows when needed and when staying consistent with the optimistic nice guy message is not advantageous. But above all I think he is far more politically astute than people realize.  After all, he started his congressional career by challenging and bearing a Democratic in the Primary.. who was an 8 term Hispanic Congressman (in an 80% Hispanic District).  And although people focus on the fact that he lost the Senate race... he did better than probably any Dem in the national could have done running in Texas (Winning more votes than any Dem in the history of the state in any election... including Hillary & Obama).  Those 2 accomplishments alone should indicate that he's not a push over or naive.

People said the same things regarding Obama, regarding Kennedy ... and both turned out to be good presidents.  Being able to inspire may be more important for a President than a policy expert... after all the Congress formulates most policy initiatives..and policy advisers.  The President just needs good judgement & the ability to inspire.

The qualities Beto possesses can make for a very good President (but are awful qualities for a VP or a Cabinet Position)... Someone with the qualities & strengths of Elizabeth Warren are the one that are great for a Cabinet Position.

Well said.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »

The big kickoff is March 30th.  He's busy touring Iowa and has interviews planned.  I watched a video of him speaking at a coffee shop in Iowa.  It seemed to me that there was a tremendous amount of energy and receptiveness to his message, but we'll see.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2019, 05:24:48 PM »

It's not singly handily his fault, no, but he didn't change the country in the way he himself envisioned (a good chunk of why was outside of his control to be fair) and that resulted in a culturally polarized nation in which someone like Trump could put together a winning coalition by scapegoating others.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2019, 05:25:35 PM »

It appears to me, just based off of the endorsements and the campaign theme Beto is building, that he will be running as a more Moderate Dem, in the same vein as Biden, Hickenlooper, etc.
I mean to be fair, the endorsements don't necessarily make the campaign. Sanders got endorsements from conservative Democrats like Collin Peterson and Dan Lipinski, but his campaign was anything but moderate.

They only endorsed Bernie after he won their district.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2019, 05:43:15 PM »

Hmmmm....im listening Beto

Trust his conservative record, not his liberal promises. Let's not fall into this trap again.

This. Beto is Obama 2.0.

Sounds great to me.  I'd take Obama back in a heartbeat.  

If the oirignal quoted post is saying that Beto is another Obama ... and therefore Beto would lead to electing another Trump... I don't follow the logic??

B/c sadly ... to the extent that one can say Obama's success led to the rise of Trump... it has nothing to do with policy... and everything to do with race. (Not Obama's fault obviously... but the result of)...  It allowed Trump to exploit and stir up enough ppl with racial resentment towards a black president (that when added to the normal republicans.. & pple who voted for Trump due to Trade issues etc) was enough to scrape by and win the electoral college.... But without stirring up the racial fringe Trump supporters (even if its just a 5% who usually don't vote - but turned out due to Trump's exploitation of racial divides)... we would not have a Trump presidency.

And regarding policy... electing an angry far left President in 2020 would more likely would lead to a pendulum swing in the opposite direction far quicker than a less contentious politician like Beto (And I not saying a pendulum swing would necessarily happen... and I have no problem choosing whoever the nominee or however far left they are over Trump).

Yea, I don't exactly buy that, because a "far left President" would not blow political capital in the same way that someone like Beto would and would be less naive with the opposition party and more shrewd when it comes to shifting the overton spectrum to the left. Beto asks for 70% and gets 15%, while someone like Bernie asks for 100% and gets 25% IMO. The idea that a more moderate president can go around and get effective, transformative legislation done by being pragmatic with fiscally conservative Republicans has little merit in this day and age. It may have in say 1992, but not in 2019.
SCNCmod

« Reply #369 on: March 14, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »

If he doesn't support single payer he can get lost. People are dying in this country because they don't have healthcare,  we don't have time for "bipartisanship"

But I do think it is important to have achievable Healthcare goals that can become law... otherwise the situation is even more dire after 4 years of no achievements.

Re-Strengthening Obamacare... And Very importantly adding a Public Option... are good immediate 1st steps.  Public Option is important for many reasons... and Obamacare was designed in a way that it would lead to Universal Coverage (had it not been undermined by Republicans (and was designed knowing it would need improving and tweeking going forward).

So I think the best option is Immediately get a Public Option & re-strengthen the ACA... then you have a stable runway to actually having a chance of then going for and achieving a more progressive type of Healthcare policy/ Coverage.

But if you try to go straight to step 3 immediately.... 1) you likely end up with nothing considering it has to get through the Senate... and 2) you won't have the needed foundation to make it work even if you did get it though the senate.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #370 on: March 14, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »

Saw his launch. I,m underwhelmed. To be fair I was also underwhelmed by Harris,s launch until she gave that speech in Oakland. Hopefully he will step up his game.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #371 on: March 14, 2019, 05:57:42 PM »

As an outside observer I think Beto's decision to emphasize a more centrist position is a mistake. I don't think he represents where the party is now. But of course it is early and things could change, but stating he's not for single payer does not strike me as the sort of thing to inspire a grassroots audience.

That said, I am very interested in seeing how much money he raises today. IIRC Sanders was already giving updates by now on the millions he raised. This silence does not mean Beto is not raising a ton himself, but if he is he should advertise it better; hearing how much money he's raising is a great moral booster for supporters and generally encourages them to raise more, and these first few days are probably the most important for them to donate and help shape that media narrative.   
SCNCmod

« Reply #372 on: March 14, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2019, 06:01:43 PM by SCNCmod »

Saw his launch. I,m underwhelmed. To be fair I was also underwhelmed by Harris,s launch until she gave that speech in Oakland. Hopefully he will step up his game.

I agree that his first Campaign Rally (which I think is planned for sometime in the next week or two in El Paso) needs to be impressive... and with an attendance number that far surpases any thus far (I think Kamala had around 20k & Bernie had around 12K... so Beto needs a 30K+ opening rally).

^^^And I agree with the above comment regarding Beto's 1st day Fundraising... (It would be a big boost if the numbers are rally strong)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #373 on: March 14, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »

His first day was whatever, I like him a lot but he gave us lots of platitudes, which always rub me the wrong way no matter who says them. The media coverage surrounding him (on the cable networks) was also negative, focusing on the questions he refused to answer (notably taking a question about the Green New Deal and just talking about climate change) and how Nancy Pelosi wasn't able to name Beto's accomplishments in the House.

I'm sure his official launch on the 30th will be great though. He'll probably get specific by then
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #374 on: March 14, 2019, 06:17:28 PM »

Maybe O'Rourke doesn't want to get too progressive, because he realizes it's still a long shot to win the nomination, and might have the senate race as a plan B in his head.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies