southern democrat question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:19:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  southern democrat question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: southern democrat question  (Read 4589 times)
kfseattle
Rookie

« on: May 28, 2004, 01:53:06 PM »

One of things i find interesting about american politics is the fact that the south kept voting for Democratic presidential candidates well into the 20th Century...like going for Adlai Stevenson all those years instead of Eisenhower...
This was largely due to the "Lincoln effect", from what I understand...that is, southerners didn't want to support the party of the President who defeated the Confederacy and freed the slaves and all that...
Now, of course, people in the south have mostly figured it out and vote republican--which is the party that they feel best supports their ideology.
But the democrats still have southern strongholds...little outcroppings here and there of intense democratic support.  
To what extent, I wonder, do these democrats represent people who are still clinging to the "I'll never vote republican" dogma?  In other words, are these people really republicans, ideologically?  
(Note: I'm falling back on the generally accepted modern definition of Republican and Democrat, of course, which I'm not saying isn't problematic)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies