Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:22:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14881 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 28, 2019, 06:50:38 PM »

So I've been rewatching the series for a few weeks and I'm of the mind that it seems like there are a million story threads being trod underfoot owing to the needs of our "final battle" scenario. The religious aspect in particular I feel like has been completely left by the wayside since Stannis was defeated. It seemed like earlier seasons were building toward something cosmic. After all, our protagonist has been raised from the dead, but that matters nought when he gets to shack up with Danerys. I could be wrong, my memory of the series is shaky and I'm only in S2 of my current attempt at a rewatch.

My own Hail Mary theory is that Melisandre has further developed her power to raise the dead, so that she'll show up and convert (some of) the Night King's army back to their side.

She should return with an army of red priests, who'll all spend the whole battle resurrecting everyone who falls.

In keeping with what I stated above, we don't know what happened to her?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »

The books were cheap on Amazon so I’ll be back in two years to settle all these debates.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:51:14 PM »

You literally said that people who liked it had a lower IQ.

The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:48:37 PM »

You literally said that people who liked it had a lower IQ.

The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging it.

So because i liked the episode that makes me stupid?

You gotta stop taking this stuff so personally.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »

The speeches from Bronn and Varys were some of the better political writing on the show. The complaints are just from people who thought Daenerys was their #QWEEN.

The one Bronn scene had me in stitches. Absolutely hilarious and, presumably, correct.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 03:29:42 AM »

The one Bronn scene had me in stitches. Absolutely hilarious and, presumably, correct.
After that scene one could hope the closing words of the final episode will be:
"All hail His Grace, Bronn of House Blackwater, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm".

One can only hope. Tongue My preferred dark horse involves Sansa in combination with either Tyrion or hte Hound.

So do people think that's the last we see of Sam, Gilly, and Tormund, or will some subset of them be back for the finale?

Also, I'm still wondering if the demise of the White Walkers means the show is totally done with the  supernatural angle, or if there might still be some supernatural twist at the end.  The one hint in this episode is when Davos muses about what the Lord of Light really wants.  Will there still be some kind of LoL witchcraft coming into play at the end?

I don't know about "magic" directly, but I would hope for something that helps to tie up the theological/mystical/supernatural aspect of the show to put the followers of the Lord of Light and the threat of the White Walkers into a larger framework. While Davos could foreshadow some grander explanation, I have a feeling it'll remain a metaphorical expression of the audience's frustration.

I mean, Daenerys has always been a psychopath. Honestly this ending makes sense and I like it.
I mean, she freed thousands of slaves. Not sure how she's a psychopath when the only "evil" thing she's done so far was justifiably burning the Tarlys.
Well there was crucifying the Masters, and randomly choosing one who might or might not be innocent of working with the Sons of the Harpy to be torn apart by her dragons.

I can't think of a particular act off the top of my head, but the insistence on her right to rule as a monarch combined with her one-time possession of what are essentially three nukes (which she held and holds a monopoly on) are in my mind reason enough for concern.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 06:01:19 PM »

So, it is a foregone conclusion that Missandei's murder will make Daenerys go full tyrant, leading to Tyrion conspiring with Sansa to oust her?

This would be ideal.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »

So does the Night’s Watch become a national forest service?

And what need have we of a Master of Whispers when the NSA himself is king?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies