Irish Demographic Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:40:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish Demographic Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Irish Demographic Maps  (Read 34606 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »

what's the well educated area to the west of Co. Dublin? kildare east? no doesn't sound right

Kildare North which is mostly young and exurban (as some housing maps I have but haven't put yet shall demonstrate). It also contains a university, one which this very poster went to for his undergraduate.

Kildare Sprawl North also contains major facilities belonging to Intel and Hewlett-Packard. Cork South Central is Big Pharma country (Pfizer, Eli Lilly).

To be fair, towns like Maynooth and Kilcock can't really be considered Sprawl. Naas on the other hand... A terrible, terrible place.

Trying to get across eastern Kildare from the M4 to the M7 so as to avoid going into Dublin is interesting.

Although not in Kildare North, but Kildare South, Newbridge is equally awful.

Tell me about it.

The quaint Kildare tradition of refusing to erect signposts does not help.

At least however you can be glad that you never(?) had to depend on public transport in such climes...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »

Anyway, Speaking of Kildare sprawl here it is...

And some older maps..

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »

Urgh, quite.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »

Last of the household maps...

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »

The most notable feature of the series is that it allows you to see which large-scale public housing estates were built in Dublin during each decade:

60s: Ballymun (Dublin North West), Kilbarrack (Dublin North East), Coolock (Dublin North Central/Dublin North East)
70s: Tallaght (Dublin South West)
80s/90s: north Clondalkin (Dublin Mid West)
90s: loads of private housing in Lucan (Dublin Mid West), Blanchardstown (Dublin West) as well as fun and games in Kildare.
00s: More in Dublin West/Mid West and Meath East (Dunboyne/Dunshaughlin/Ratoath/Ashbourne)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2013, 09:02:45 AM by Ghyl Tarvoke »

Population maps time - figuring in a couple of a censuses (Censuae? Censi?). In their report for 2011 the CSO was very kind and included charts of the population level from all censuses (censi? etc) since the first post-partition census in 1926. I decided to use some of this data - for a start population growth since then:

Obvious shift is obvious. Worth Noting the population of Leitrim in 1926 was barely below that of Wicklow and Kildare. Leitrim is now the smallest county (It was Carlow in 1926). Mayo was the third largest county at the time as these proportion maps demonstrate:

I tried.. I think, fairly successfully, to keep the shadings the same on both maps. It was difficult for Dublin though from 17% of the population in 1926 to over 27% in 2011.

Here for my last 1926-2011 comparison map again I went proportional and weighted the level of population growth to represent growth above the national rate. Green are counties whose growth was greater than the national rate of 54.15% between 1926 and 2011 and Red are counties whose growth was below that number. Kildare, the darkest green, is marked as 4.8 (it can't really be seen on the key, sorry), which means it grew 4.8 times greater between 1926 and 2011 than the national rate.

So many to say about these maps, but tbh res ipsa loquitur.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »

And now for more recent population statistics...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »

Population maps time - figuring in a couple of a censuses (Censuae? Censi?).
Censi.

You strike me as the type to have some basic grounding in Latin, but alas, as I have discovered on a previous occasion...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Dublin County looks like it's been swallowed by the ocean on this one. Cheesy
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »

I once took classes in Latin for a while in Secondary school, alas what I now know is just some tiny drops of knowledge...

There are quite a few people who would like Dublin to be swallowed by the ocean to be honest...
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »

There are quite a few people who would like Dublin to be swallowed by the ocean to be honest...

Just selected postal districts... Wink
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

For the sake of "compare and contrast"...

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2013, 08:47:49 AM by Ghyl Tarvoke »

Here are the ethnicity maps, now it has to be said that this question in the census leaves quite a bit to be desired but here I think it is the patterns which matter, not the numbers. As you can see anyway, Ireland is remarkably ethnically homogenous ( Sad ) place although decreasingly so all the time (the 2011 census figures show greater heterogenity and despite the crisis we are still accepting well over 50,000 new people a year from outside the EU, Russia, India and China being the main nations of origin)

Now out of all of these this perhaps requires the greatest health warning for many, many reasons... not least the obvious ones but I'm putting it up anyway.

"Irish travellers" for the record are not Roma but are phenotypically indistinguishable from the mainstream Irish population. Their exact historical origins remain controversial and unknown.

They are also, by quite some distance, the poorest group in the country with suicide rates in men seven times that of the normal male population (to mention just one significant social problem). There is some correlation here to the map posted earlier for those with No Formal Education especially in the Dublin region (whose map here is rather amusing tbh).

'Black Irish' is an old term for a small number in the Irish population who have been here long before historical records can source them who had significantly darker complexions than the average Irish person. There are numerous legends as to their origin - the most well known being that they were the offspring of stranded sailors from the Spanish Armada (possibly black slaves in some tellings) who intermingled with Irish women on the West coast following the failure of 'La Armada invincible' in 1588. Although in the Irish countryside you can occasionally run into people with surnames like 'Fernandez' this is ahistorical. Other versions have them again as the offspring of Male African slaves and Irish females in either the 18th Century (more realistic as it is known that Africans were a semi-regular presence in Dublin due to the city's - then, as now, the second largest in the British isles and a major port - role in the Trans-Atlantic slave trade) and even as an earlier batch of imported slaves from Viking times. In reality though the origin of this minute and obviously diluting population is unknown.

Either way, their numbers are so small that the map above is mostly of recent arrivals - Nigeria being the most common country of origin.

This group, on the other hand, is pretty much entirely recent and now the fastest growing:

For this map below, compare this with the one I did for "Born in the UK" earlier and it becomes quite clear who those people mostly are - remember this question is a self-defintion one:

The Remnants...

When I was making these maps, I was thinking to myself "I wonder how Mestizos define themselves". So now can anyone spot the town which became somewhat famous/notorious of having a large number of Brazilians move there (now gone mostly but at one point around the time of this census made up half the population although quite a few defined themselves as 'white') to work in a local, now closed, meat packing plant?

And now those not wishing to divulge....

Again, pretty clear patterns here...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »

Ooohh... which ones, other than D4 obviously? Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »

Is that a historically typical distribution for the Travellers?

The Gort thing does show up - in an unusually extreme way - one of the big problems with census data, of course.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »

Good question. I'm going to look into that. Most are quite settled now.

By 2011, more than half had left...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »

For those wishing to know more about Irish travellers or the ethnicity and religion questions, here is the CSO's very own introductory report.

Page 27 is when they start on Travellers and here I just quote two pieces of data, hitherto unknown to me:

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »

Offhand:

Tuam and Ballinasloe - Galway East
Longford town and Mullingar - Longford/Westmeath
Rathkeale - Limerick County
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2013, 09:18:30 PM »

You can throw in 6, and 2 seems to have acquired a bad infestation of hipster. And, of course, the bunch who are too posh to have a postal code at all (Kingstown et al) could be included for safety's sake Wink
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2013, 09:23:27 PM »

For this map below, compare this with the one I did for "Born in the UK" earlier and it becomes quite clear who those people mostly are - remember this question is a self-defintion one:

Compare and contrast...

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2013, 10:24:49 AM by Ghyl Tarvoke »

You can throw in 6, and 2 seems to have acquired a bad infestation of hipster. And, of course, the bunch who are too posh to have a postal code at all (Kingstown et al) could be included for safety's sake Wink

If it weren't the fact that I come from there and my family still lives there, I would be very much in favour of flooding D "most unoccupied office buildings in Ireland" 18.

Not Kingston though, it's one of my favourite places in Dublin or would be if the council was saner and that they would demolish that massive eyesore Shopping centre.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2013, 10:39:46 AM by Ghyl Tarvoke »

Here's one I put up earlier and forgot to put up... As you may note if you know Dublin post codes, the dark blue bit known here as "Dublin South East" contains most of the area that ObserverIE  wishes to see drown Tongue.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »

Here's one I put up earlier and forgot to put up... As you may note if you know the Dublin, the dark blue bit known here as "Dublin South East" contains most of the area that ObserverIE  wishes to see drown Tongue.

Hey look, I work in Dublin 2 - it's not as if I wouldn't be making a sacrifice Wink

(Makes mental reminder to put in some endurance swimming practice just in case...)
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »

If it weren't the fact that I come from there and my family still lives there, I would be very much in favour of flooding D "most unoccupied office buildings in Ireland" 18.

It would require a lot of flooding, a lot of excavation, or a combination of both, for Sandyford to disappear beneath the waves.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »

It would require a lot of flooding, a lot of excavation, or a combination of both, for Sandyford to disappear beneath the waves.

Ugh, I know... Should have happened in the 90s before all the unpleasantness... *cue autorant*.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies