Atlasian Messenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 04:32:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Messenger
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: Atlasian Messenger  (Read 34564 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »

Does the editor believe we sholuldn't know where our officeholders live?

Letter to the Editor

Dear Sir,

In response to the post of the newly self-proclaimed King of Atlasia (who btw doesn't seem to have the good grace to let us know his state of residence despite his claimed office holding), I would say the following.

The amendment doesn't condemn the populace to a state of general ignorance as he so claims - there remain plenty of reliable ways of looking such information up. The SoFA maintains a Registered Voter Roll which is publicly viewable; the Office Holders page on the wiki is generally updated and includes states of residence; or one could simply ask the individual concerned which state they're in.

The provision requires all federal and regional office holders to comply. For the vast majority of office holders, the need to declare a state of residence is an irrelevance. What does it matter what state the Supreme Court Justices are from; or the SoFA; or the President; or the various Lt. Governors? All of these officers (and more) are subject to the provision, yet a brief glance will reveal that a significant number of office holders continue to breach it. Why? Because it's not important, it is irrelevant, superfluous information of no consequence. How are the people served by providing this information?

Finally, the provision has been disregarded on many occasions - only recently did it seriously arise and there few seemed genuinely concerned at not knowing the state of residence of the protaganist. It continues to be flouted and will continue to be flouted because the Court has ruled that it is not willing to reprimand anyone in breach of the provision - they obviously do not view it as a serious matter either.

Yours, etc.
Jas
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »

Response to VP Jas's letter:

May I begin by saying that I am honored to have you writing in to the paper. You have been a fantastic success, and am proud to see you backing up the paper (or actually the paper backing up you) on this issue. You are absolutely correct. Its not like we are blocking the populace off from information, we're just stopping annoying witch hunts which only pop up when necessary. I hardly see why anyone needs to know this info other than in rare occasions, in which case it is readily available. Your perspective is crystal clear, and I appreciate it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »

I hope you dont hate me for voting nay, SoS. I did notice you took my banner out of your sig.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »

I hope you dont hate me for voting nay, SoS. I did notice you took my banner out of your sig.
That wasnt for negative reasons, though. I needed room for the Reading Resistance pic, and I hate having two rows of pics. I figured that, being an out-of-towner, my sig wouldnt do much anyway. I want to assure you that I have no hard feelings about it at all, and that I am supporting EarlAW in the District 1 run-off, and doing it proudly, my friend. Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »

Cheese of the week!
This week: Roquefort

Yes, this week the Atlasian Messenger welcomes a new article: The Cheese of the Week! As a huge fan of all kinds of cheese, the editor in chief is proud to bring you this fine new addition to the paper.

Roquefort, one of France's most famous cheeses, is one of the few cheeses in the world that is made in just one town, Roquefot-sur-Soulzon. Along with many European cheeses, Roquefort comes from ewe's milk, instead of cow's milk. It takes three months to make a truly great batch of Roquefort, as it as blue cheese created by penicillium roqueforti mold. The mold is found only in nearby caves, which explains the legend of its beginning. According to legend, a shepard is eating cheese in a nearby field. When he sees a beautiful girl, he rushes out to meet her. When he comes back, his regular cheese has turned to Roquefort! The cheese is unique in that it has many different flavors, distinct enough in themselves that its almost like it goes through stages of flavor. It is a semi hard cheese with an edible exterior. So today, salute the French for thier wonderfully delicious (and very old [It was first praised by Pliny the Elder in 79 CE]) blue cheese, Roquefort!

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2007, 02:22:04 PM »

Hey-O! I am proud to announce that The Atlasian Messenger has officially hit 7000 views! Huzzah! I would like to thank all of my loyal readers, as it is because of you! And so, in honor of this, I hereby declare this week Letter to the Editor week! All week I encourage you to post in the AM thread your letter to me regarding any Atlasian issue, be it senate actions, election results, or current Atlasian sports. You name, you write, I respond to it. Go to town, my spirited readers!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »

Letter to the Editor

Dear Sir,

In the spirit of 'Letter to the Editor' week (kudos on your success to date, btw Smiley), I have decided to use this opportunity to congratulate one of our fellow Atlasians - Kevin. His recent attempt at voting in the District 1 Special Election stretches his run of invalid votes to what must certainly be a national record. Each election he appears eager and devoted to an electoral cause, but manages to always find new (and surprising) ways to undermine his own efforts. He truly is one of our most entertaining of compatriots. Here's looking forward to many more spoiled ballots!

Yours etc,
Jas
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »

You are absolutely right. In fact, and I have just skimmed it, but I believe the last time Kevin wasnt invalidated was the August elections......which Kevin didnt vote in. Smiley Keep trying Kevin, keep trying, I love your enthusiasm and wish you the best in escaping the technialities.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »

It's actually pretty sad, hopefully he'll get it right next time. Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #284 on: July 26, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »

AM Interview: kljackson

I want to first thank Alcon for translating for me. Smiley

Me: Thank you for sitting down to talk to me today, sir.

kljackson: ...

Me: Recently you have been offered a spot on a presidential ticket with GPorter. Are you going to join him in his executive ambitions?

Me: I see. Do you have political ambitions of your own?

Me: Very interesting. You suffer from mass unpopularity, including being the most ignored member on the forum. How do you propose to overcome this obstacle?

Me: Another problem will surely be your experience. You currently have a rather low post count of 0. Do you believe you can make up for your lack of time in the Atlasian political arena?

Me: If you do run for an office, what will your platform include?

Me: And last, lets get a little personal: Whats your favorite food?

Me: hahaha.....very nice. I enjoy that too. Well, I appreciate you sitting down with me, kljackson.

kljackson:...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #286 on: July 26, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »

Sweet! Now I can make a new fancy logo for my award winning news organization!

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #287 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »

I was being sarcastic Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #288 on: July 26, 2007, 11:57:27 PM »

I was being sarcastic Tongue
O rly? Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #289 on: July 27, 2007, 12:38:13 AM »

Yes. Yes, really.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #290 on: July 27, 2007, 12:38:26 AM »

Senate headed towards ridiculous discussion in coming days

I dont always go looking through the senate legistion introduction thread, as I figure it will hit the floor eventually anyway. I was bored today, however, and so I decided to take a look. What I saw was pretty......retarded. Apparently these are "Who can out radicalize the other" days. Here are the last three bills to be announced:

Atlasian Flag Burning Amendment (DownWithTheLeft)

1.) Burning of the flag of Atlasia shall become a prosecutable offense
2.) Individual states may introduce there own penalties will cannot be less than a $500 fine and no greater than 10 years in prison

Mmmmmmmmm....I love the smell of my rights being wittled away in the evening. The fact that we are even gonna think about giving 10 years in prison to someone for burning a flag makes me shudder. Every other sophisticated country has shown that without a shadow of a doubt that flag burning is not somehting to be punished, as it is, while stupid, not harmful, and arguably not even un patriotic. Freedom of speech, since it is extended to dance, music, and the like, must sure be extended to this, especially when this is MY PROPERTY! I request the senate not even see this bill, as it would have to be a constitutional amendment, not a law. If it passes as a law, I will sue the senate's brains out, and win.

Bill to Raise the Retirement Age(Ebowed)

1. F.L. 13-15, Clause 1, which states, "A senior shall be defined as a person aged 60 or older" is amended to read "A senior shall be defined as a person aged 65 or older."
2. Persons under 65 receiving benefits shall not have their status altered.
3. This bill will take effect one month after it becomes law.

Without any serious proof of economic problems in Atlasia, I see little need for this. If there was proof that it was necessary to save the economy or Social Security, then fine, I would support it, but without it, all this is is an attempt to tkae 5 years of active enjoyable life away from Atlasians. Highly unecessary, and really quite sad.

Creation of Federal Holidays Bill (Ebowed)

1. January 22 is hereby Women's Rights Day, a federal holiday.
2. February 24 is hereby Mexican Flag Day, a federal holiday.
3. May 17 is hereby LGBT Rights Day, a federal holiday.
4. July 2 is hereby Civil Rights Day, a federal holiday.

First of all, I would like to begin with this: Mexican Flag day?!?!?! Isnt this Atlasian? Why in the world do we have a Mexican Flag day as a federal holiday. Unofficial holiday, sure whatever, why not? But as a federal holiday, I think we should stay with things relating to......us. Tongue As for the other parts, I find the first and third to be uneeded propoganda. If anything people will be annoyed by it, not truly celebrate it (at least not the third one). Federal holidays should be agreed upon by a healthy majority of Atlasians, I would think. As for the fourth, its pretty much just fluff, btu I do love a good day off, so I guess its off the hook.

Senators, you may as well take the days these bills come up off, as you jsut may use more intelligence doing the newspaper's morning sudoku than you will debating these bills.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #291 on: July 27, 2007, 12:40:07 AM »

I knew it. Zack hates gays and women.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #292 on: July 27, 2007, 12:50:14 AM »

I knew it. Zackh hates gays and women.

Oh noes. Ive been discovered. -_- Ill just go change my party registration to KKK! nao...

Oh! And dont forget Mexicans!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #293 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:34 AM »

I knew it. Zack hates gays and women.

Or does he just hate gay women?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #294 on: July 27, 2007, 01:07:11 AM »

I knew it. Zackh hates gays and women.

Oh noes. Ive been discovered. -_- Ill just go change my party registration to KKK! nao...

Oh! And dont forget Mexicans!

I don't mind your hate for Mexicans. Everyone hates Mexicans.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #295 on: July 27, 2007, 09:22:21 AM »

Does the Atlasian Messenger have comment on any of my other bills?  I have a feeling there are a few the Messenger would be proud to recommend a vote in favor of.  However, I respect the paper's disagreement with my Flag Burning Amendment, but I will proceed as follows and see how the debate goes.  If it does not look to have the votes to pass, I will withdraw it.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #296 on: July 27, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »

Oh Im sure there are, Mr. Senator. I, however, am far too lazy to write an opinion on everything. And so, I pick big events, like this trio of questionableness to write on. Note that your bills dont even hold the majority of my criticism.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #297 on: July 27, 2007, 09:59:30 PM »

The retirement age was 65 until the relevant bill making it 60 was passed.  I don't know anyone who doesn't consider the clause which made it 60 to be anything but a mere oversight.

And yes, technically we are in a deficit although that is not my reason for wanting to raise the retirement age.  There is a lot of stigma associated with retirement, and practically forcing seniors into retirement earlier than necessary is quite unfair.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2007, 08:16:11 AM »

The retirement age was 65 until the relevant bill making it 60 was passed.  I don't know anyone who doesn't consider the clause which made it 60 to be anything but a mere oversight.

And yes, technically we are in a deficit although that is not my reason for wanting to raise the retirement age.  There is a lot of stigma associated with retirement, and practically forcing seniors into retirement earlier than necessary is quite unfair.
You know, you can work after the reitrement age. My grandfather is turning 70 and still works 3 (sometimes 2) days a week because he can. It isnt a "you cant work" its a "you dont have to if godforbid you'd like to have some Golden Years while you still can."
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2007, 05:27:07 PM by Speed of Sound »

Cant Find a Candidate? Be One!

Today the Atlasian Messenger has a simple message for its viewers. As we close in on another series of elections, I urge my readers to, rather than search for change in candidates, be the candidate for change! Atlasia has seen an explosion of activity, new voters, and new ideas, but if this wave of new never finds itself in Atlasian office, it will all have been in vain. So go out and put your offer on the table, theres nothing to lose! At the same time, I would also like the voters of Atlasia to not put so much emphasis on experience this time around, as it often overshadows the real issues and even candidate quality. Lets see democracy truly in action this August.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies