Opinion of "Theology on Tap" events
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:18:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of "Theology on Tap" events
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: (when you go to a bar to discuss theology with other theology-minded people)
Freedom Events

Horrible Events

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Opinion of "Theology on Tap" events  (Read 777 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2019, 01:55:59 AM »

Absolutely awful. Bars generally are hot, crowded, noisy environments where you fairly have to shout to make yourself heard even for casual conversations, still more for conversations about serious topics like theology. I've shouted about analogy of being over the dulcet strains of What's the Story Morning Glory twice in my life and that's more than enough times for me. Not only that, holding public gatherings to discuss theology in bars (and in very few other places; I rarely see "Theology at the Espresso Bar" or "Theology with Peanuts and Cracker Jacks" advertised) is alienating both to some of the demographics that need theology the most (the very old, the very young, people who live in areas with poor public services and few public transit options who have to drive themselves home after having a few beers) and to some of the demographics that are disproportionately interested in theology (bookish introvert types, people in recovery, people who simply have conservative/risk-averse personal habits). The general obnoxiousness of the concept is compounded when Catholics are involved because Catholicism has an ingrained culture of high-functioning alcoholism that all too many Catholics either blithely shrug off or actually take perverse pride in because they think it makes us "more fun" than Protestants or something. Well, Theology on Tap isn't "fun", at least not for me, and I wish people would stop inviting me to these things, especially people I don't see often and feel guilty about turning down.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 02:04:22 AM »

I had never heard of it before but it actually does sound kind of fun from how you're describing it. Going to the bar is something I only do sparingly, because yeah, all the downsides you mention annoy me to, but every now and then, with the right crowd, it's a lot of fun. And I've been able to have some fairly profound discussions while tipsy, so theology might be worth a try too.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 04:57:15 AM »

Such events are gimmicky, but they aren't really aimed at you Nathan, but to people who enjoy bars.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »

Sounds like you need to go to better pubs.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »

I've been to several. The best usually have their own areas of the bar reserved or private rooms set aside so noise is less of an issue. Living in a college town helped too.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:10:14 PM »

I've always enjoyed them.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »

Of course.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 07:33:28 PM »

I’m shocked that a “hipster Christian” likes the combination of alcohol and Jesus.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »

Theres a church in Brooklyn that used to hold their evening service in a bar. As in they were still serving drinks during the service and had a bartender serving communion. They only don't anymore because the bar closed. I regret not being able to visit there before that.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

The ones I've been to have just been in the church courtyard with a little bar set up.  It was fun.  Most of the people that go to it are already coupled up though.  They need to gtfo and leave events like these for the singles.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »

Theres a church in Brooklyn that used to hold their evening service in a bar. As in they were still serving drinks during the service and had a bartender serving communion. They only don't anymore because the bar closed. I regret not being able to visit there before that.
Thank you for the laugh.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »

I prefer theology alone or in small groups of friends and without alcohol except maybe a little bit (wine or cider or schnapps imo) and probably with bread and cheese and pungent foods.  Everyone says so much sh**t about Jesus...we should call him pungent the way romney is severely.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »

I've usually enjoyed it and similar types of events somewhat. There's a wide variety of styles of event that are all of a similar basic format: Some milling around, followed by speaker on some theological topic, followed by Q&A, followed by socializing. Whether it's in a bar or a church basement doesn't faze me much. Theology on Tap events tend to be chasing a kind of young professional demographic, so it's not really a surprise they'd be unappealing to other demographics. I used to have something of a hangup on things surrounding alcohol, but having lived in Wisconsin for 5.5 years sort of showed me that alcohol is really a socialization aid that makes people feel more comfortable talking to each other than it is anything else. And I've never seen anyone get drunk at Theology on Tap. No doubt there are a lot of Catholics who abuse alcohol, but they don't usually seem to be the types who show up to something like this anyways. As for shouting over Oasis, I'll gladly trade you the horrid country/folk music people seem to inexplicably like in this part of the country. Tongue
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »

Seems like you need a beer.

Obvious FF events.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies