Is Pulp Fiction a pro-Christian propaganda piece?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:17:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Pulp Fiction a pro-Christian propaganda piece?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is Pulp Fiction a pro-Christian propaganda piece?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Is Pulp Fiction a pro-Christian propaganda piece?  (Read 8952 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »

I don't think a film where a character changes his life in a positive way qualifies as propaganda.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »

But for it to be a propaganda piece instead of simply borrowing for a biblical theme or two in its mayem, it would have to make you want to be a Christian.

The movie doesn't do that.

The Matrix movies have extreme biblical undertones, but they're not propaganda for Christianity.

Hell, Steven Colbert's Christmas Special has lots of Biblical and Judaic undertones as well.

Pulp Fiction does a way better job of this than any crap like Veggietales or The 700 Club or other stuff that people DO cite as "Christian propaganda". That stuff makes me embarrassed to be a Christian.

I don't think a film where a character changes his life in a positive way qualifies as propaganda.

The reason he decides to change his life is because he believes God has given him a second chance.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 06:42:07 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2008, 06:54:36 PM by The Man Machine »

Propaganda implies somebody intentionally trying to influence others, who do you think was creating this propaganda?  Tarentino?  Roger Avary?  Propaganda by accident isn't, by definition, propaganda.

Tell that to Gully, Gustaf and anyone else accusing 300 of being fascist propaganda.

I missed this, I do not and have not argued that fascistic tendencies in 300 were part of a propoganda effort by the creators of the film; rather the film responds to a certain worldview which has fascistic or fascistic-like elements to which the actual crew may not be even aware (certainly there is nothing that suggests to me that Frank Miller has a major political mind or anything) but came across in the film anyway, regardless of what may have been intended, for you may not agree but I tend to believe that there is a huge difference between what people say they believe and what they actually believe and this can only be uncovered by analyzing what they say. In short what I argue is that Miller & Co had a quasi-fascistic worldview which is anchored in the film, not that the film is fascist in itself - that would be a simplification.

Call me Mystic or a Dumb if you want.
Jacobtm

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »

The reason he decides to change his life is because he believes God has given him a second chance.

[/quote]

Yes, but that doesn't make it propaganda, it's just the motivation of a character in a movie.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 07:29:14 PM »

Interesting how over 30% agree with "the dumbest thing I've ever posted"...

We've already established that you aren't the only idiot on the forum - there's nothing interesting about other idiots agreeing with you.

Pulp Fiction does a way better job of this than any crap like Veggietales or The 700 Club or other stuff that people DO cite as "Christian propaganda". That stuff makes me embarrassed to be a Christian.

1. Veggietales is for children, don't be stupid enough to compare it to something aimed adults.
2. If it did do better in that regard, it just makes those other things poorly executed propaganda and does not make it propaganda.
3. You're hardly a model Christian. If you need a reason, I'll pull a jmfcst on ya...

Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
--1 Peter 2:11
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 01:50:39 AM »

Also, a lot of people vote for the joke option intentionally if someone is being absurd
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 10:07:34 PM »

I watched this again recently. It was a spiritual experience.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »

I miss John Dibble. He was my tag team in threads with jmfcst when I was a Christian apologist.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »

It's a good movie, and I've seen it brought up effectively in Christian contexts, but it's obviously not "propaganda", any more than the Noriko Trilogy is Buddhist "propaganda".
James Monroe

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 07:31:10 PM »

Why not, as the Bible and Quentin Tarantino have similar values. Both the "holy book" and his films denigrated women, gay people, and people of color. They also employed gruesome violence to get "moral justice." Both are sources of reactionary resentment against progressivism and Enlightenment  thinking in America.  They are mirrors of each other aesthetics.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »

Why not, as the Bible and Quentin Tarantino have similar values. Both the "holy book" and his films denigrated women, gay people, and people of color. They also employed gruesome violence to get "moral justice." Both are sources of reactionary resentment against progressivism and Enlightenment  thinking in America.  They are mirrors of each other aesthetics.

You're not obligated to like Tarantino or his movies--he's a pretty obvious creep, and some of that does come through in the films, especially the execrable Hateful Eight--but are you familiar with his work, or are you assessing it sight unseen on Atheist Helen Lovejoy-type grounds?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 05:38:56 PM »

You're not obligated to like Tarantino or his movies--he's a pretty obvious creep, and some of that does come through in the films, especially the execrable Hateful Eight--but are you familiar with his work, or are you assessing it sight unseen on Atheist Helen Lovejoy-type grounds?
I think you missed the point of The Hateful Eight.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »

To be clear, I think The Hateful Eight is a misogynistic movie, not a racist one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 12:26:01 AM »

To be clear, I think The Hateful Eight is a misogynistic movie, not a racist one.
It's not a movie of clear cut heroes whom every action is to he applauded. Hence the title.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 12:27:23 AM »

It's not a movie of clear cut heroes whom every action is to he applauded. Hence the title.

I know that. Please don't talk down to me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 01:11:58 AM »

I know that. Please don't talk down to me.
I wasn't trying to.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 12:11:19 PM »

fun fact: if you listen very closely during the last shot of Reservoir Dogs you can hear Steve Buscemi's character Mr Pink being accosted by police and consequently reciting Shahada, thereby accepting the one god as Allah and Muhammad as his final prophet before his grisly end, allowing the once proud criminal who refused to tip waitresses a moment of humility and an entrance into jannah.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies