Nullification Amendment to the Constitution -would you vote for it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:48:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Nullification Amendment to the Constitution -would you vote for it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you vote for a proposed constitutional amendment that would enable states to repeal any act of Congress they deem unconstitutional?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Democrat: Undecided

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

Republican: Undecided

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

independent/third party: Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Nullification Amendment to the Constitution -would you vote for it?  (Read 8258 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »

If anything, we should be pushing for amendments to reduce states to geographical distinctions rather than what status they have as political entities.  They're an archaic relic.
So. much. fail.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 07:11:25 PM »

If anything, we should be pushing for amendments to reduce states to geographical distinctions rather than what status they have as political entities.  They're an archaic relic.
So. much. fail.

100% agree.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »

Well technically, the federal government is supposed to be subordinate to the states -- not the other way around.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I fail to understand how anyone could possibly reach the conclusion that federal government is subordinate to the states after reading the Constitution. This passage could not possibly be any clearer- federal law trumps state law.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »

Well technically, the federal government is supposed to be subordinate to the states -- not the other way around.

Quote from: Restricted

I fail to understand how anyone could possibly reach the conclusion that federal government is subordinate to the states after reading the Constitution. This passage could not possibly be any clearer- federal law trumps state law.
Only where it is specifically said so in the Constitution, in all other matters its a State's right. If that rule were followed, 99% of all laws would be considered unconstitutional
WillK

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »

If subordinate states can nullify federal law, what's the point of even having a nation?

Well technically, the federal government is supposed to be subordinate to the states

Under the US Constitution the States have always been the subordinate.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »

If subordinate states can nullify federal law, what's the point of even having a nation?

Well technically, the federal government is supposed to be subordinate to the states

However, the federal government's powers are delegated to it by the states.
WillK

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »

However, the federal government's powers are delegated to it by the states.

Not so. The Constitution says that the powers are delegated to the US by the Constitution, which was created by 'the People'.             
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 11:38:54 AM »

Only if people don't play by the rules.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »

This is America, nobody plays by the rules.
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.32, S: -9.91

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »

I'd vote for it, and upon the same principles vote for an Amendment to my State constitution permitting individual towns and other such polities to override State law.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »

I'd vote for it, and upon the same principles vote for an Amendment to my State constitution permitting individual towns and other such polities to override State law.

I might support such a measure, provided that a vote of two-thirds or so of incorporated cities is required.

Maybe counties would make more sense?
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »

I might support such a measure, provided that a vote of two-thirds or so of incorporated cities is required.

Possibly. At any rate, I fully expect some pretty terrible things to happen in the South in the event of such an Amendment, but I fully support it on principle. So there has to be some mechanism to prevent State governments from becoming tyrannical before I think it would be a good idea to introduce. I have no desire to see the Black Belt become the location of a second holocaust.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »

Possibly. At any rate, I fully expect some pretty terrible things to happen in the South in the event of such an Amendment, but I fully support it on principle. So there has to be some mechanism to prevent State governments from becoming tyrannical before I think it would be a good idea to introduce. I have no desire to see the Black Belt become the location of a second holocaust.

Individual states can't nullify federal law.  The states can nullify a federal law if two-thirds of them vote to do so.
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »

Individual states can't nullify federal law.  The states can nullify a federal law if two-thirds of them vote to do so.

All the same, I think that calling for decentralization but stopping short at the States is a little disingenuous. Don't get me wrong, I support the idea - but the individual States have a longer and more bloodied history of tyranny than the Federal government itself.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »

All the same, I think that calling for decentralization but stopping short at the States is a little disingenuous. Don't get me wrong, I support the idea - but the individual States have a longer and more bloodied history of tyranny than the Federal government itself.

Indeed.  The people have to be vigilant.  There is no reason the state or local government should be more prone to corruption than the federal government.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »

Or just elect Representatives who will appeal it. Why empower the incompetent hooligans who inhabit state legislatures?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »

Sadly, slaveowning would still be restricted to the government.  Incidentally, nullification was never used to defend slavery, although several northern states nullified the Fugitive Slave Act.  One of the complaints South Carolina cited in its declaration of secession was that Northern states were nullifying too much.

Great idea!

What is the point?

Of course the individual states can, and should.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »

If anything, we should be pushing for amendments to reduce states to geographical distinctions rather than what status they have as political entities.  They're an archaic relic.

This is maybe my favorite post ever made on this forum. Certainly in the top 10.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 02:51:20 PM by The Dregs In Us Spent The Earth Down »

Sure, I favor the abolition of governments that don't do what I want them to do.  And an efficient government is much better than one that is accessible and democratic.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »

As far as I am concerned, each state is a semi independent country. Wyoming should have as much influence as NY. Its not really fair when 30+ New York Congressmen (and majority Democrat) can Wyomings 1 at large represenative.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »

As far as I am concerned, each state is a semi independent country. Wyoming should have as much influence as NY. Its not really fair when 30+ New York Congressmen (and majority Democrat) can Wyomings 1 at large represenative.

So you hate democracy?
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:49 PM »

So you hate democracy?

I do.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 01:37:50 AM »

I'd never vote for it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length