Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 02:39:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society?
Yes

No

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society?  (Read 7501 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 09, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »

ABsolutely NOT!!!

Say what you want about the BushKenya "shenanigans" but he is aiming to help people in Kenya...he is providing them with financial support and wants to move over there to help. You talk about belief in God leading people to do things you disagree with...what about those whose belief leads them to perform charitable acts by the masses? You say you don't want to talk about charity but it's VERY relevant in this conversation

If your question involved organized religion as opposed to belief in God- I would possibly agree with your conclusion...as it is belief in God has had a largely positive impact in the world. I'm proud to be a God fearing Christian man!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »

If your question involved organized religion as opposed to belief in God- I would possibly agree with your conclusion...as it is belief in God has had a largely positive impact in the world.

You can't really separate the two. People organize, and if people believe in the same God they will organize. People who commit evil acts in the name of their God don't do so because they are organized, they do it because their beliefs make them feel justified in doing it. Being organized just makes them more efficient.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You act as if living in fear is a good thing.
First- I think organized religion is the cause of conflicts between peoples, not belief in God...Allah and God are the same- Mohammed and Jesus Christ are not

Second- Fear of how we will be judged leads many of us to be more kind and generous. It isn't for the right reason always, but if fear of God prevents some one from committing an act of violence- do you deny it is a good thing?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:04:45 AM »

You didn't answer my question...if some one was to commit and act of violence and didn't because of fear of judgment- is that a good thing? And regardless of the reason- isn't fear of judgment causing one to be more generous a good thing? I agree that if done only for this reason, the person is not truly better...all of us are guilty of this thinking at one point or another, but if it influences the person's behavior and therefore the way they treat others- it's impossible to deny it's a good thing
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »

You didn't answer my question...if some one was to commit and act of violence and didn't because of fear of judgment- is that a good thing? And regardless of the reason- isn't fear of judgment causing one to be more generous a good thing? I agree that if done only for this reason, the person is not truly better...all of us are guilty of this thinking at one point or another, but if it influences the person's behavior and therefore the way they treat others- it's impossible to deny it's a good thing

It's good that someone wouldn't do a bad thing, but it's not something to be proud of. It's not something that is to be lauded. Also keep in mind that fear of judgment can keep people from doing the right thing when the situation calls for it, or it could even make them do bad things - you are dealing with a double edged-sword. Fear is not a good basis for moral behavior or a civil society.
I'd agree if the fear was from govt cameras or big brother or camps...but this is a personal belief that we will be judged by our actions here. It's not as if by being a God fearing man I walk around cowered- worrying about being smitten on the spot. I know that I will be judged by how good a person I am here...I believe I would be as generous and kind if I weren't a Christian but take this for example...

People on this board have commented on my attitude in debates- such as this one. My first reaction when I see some one attacking my faith or my country or anything of mine is anger- but then I realize that isn't appropriate or Christian so I maintain my respect and engage in a cordial and very rewarding discussion. Look at Bush Kenya's attitude when he is attacked and called dumb for trying to do the right thing- he isn't angry and doesn't demean others- he is polite and kind. You seem to be the same way so this isn't limited to those who believe in God, but belief in God influences behavior in a VERY good way well beyond an internet board...

I agree some one shouldn't be proud for making a decision not to commit violence purely out of fear of retribution- but it is impossible to argue that it isn't a good thing from the perspective of society and especially the person who would have been wronged
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »

To that I have no response- good point
I still believe that belief in God does far more harm then good, but you got me on that one
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies