SENATE BILL: Equal Representation Amendment (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Equal Representation Amendment (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Equal Representation Amendment (Tabled)  (Read 7115 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« on: May 19, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »

Districts, in my opinion, would not benefit the game and potentially lead to partisan gerrymanders.  I will oppose this bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2012, 10:25:59 PM by Senator Scott »

Districts, in my opinion, would not benefit the game and potentially lead to partisan gerrymanders.  I will oppose this bill.

Of course they might.  That was half the fun of them. (Am I pretty much the only currently active forumnite who actually participated in redistricting?  I think I might be the only Senator.  Oh dear Tongue)  How is the current regional setup any less of a "gerrymander"?  Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it, say, doesn't pack a lot of Liberals into one region.  Furthermore, if we so desired, we could craft legislation that would attempt to cut down on gerrymandering.

As I stated in the title of this amendment, this is about one thing: fairness.  In fact, Senator Scott, coming from the great Northeastern Region, I would think you would care the most about this idea.  You represent 43 Atlasians in the Senate.  I represent just 22.  Why is it fair that the voice of Midwesterners is heard proportionately more than the voice of Northeasterners?  We are a wonderful people, graced by Dave by the most delightful of regional cultures.  But does that give us the right to dictate more of Atlasian policy than the region that has all the people?  No, it does not.  This amendment would fix that.

Gerrymandering isn't fun- it's a despicable thing to do and makes a mockery out of the democratic system.  The current regional setup is fine the way it is because citizens may simply leave the region if it doesn't suit them.  Changing the makeup of the districts every few months would only jeopardize this process and make it easier for parties to take advantage of it.  We have enough people in this game who feud with each other on a routine basis; if we pass this amendment, then members of regional governments will have the opportunity to draw out people they just don't like.  I also have my doubts that anti-gerrymandering legislation would have much of an effect or even be enforceable in certain areas of the country.

Now, I don't know how many times I have to say this:
The Northeast Region does not need to be changed.

The Northeast is politically diverse, has an ideal population, and is inhabited by active citizens.  There is no need to divide us, and I fully intend to keep my campaign promise of not supporting anything that alters our region's borders.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »

The current regional setup is fine the way it is because citizens may simply leave the region if it doesn't suit them.  ...
Now, I don't know how many times I have to say this:
The Northeast Region does not need to be changed.

The Northeast is politically diverse, has an ideal population, and is inhabited by active citizens.  There is no need to divide us, and I fully intend to keep my campaign promise of not supporting anything that alters our region's borders.

This amendment has nothing to do with the boundaries of the Regions

...and I'm not sure why you kept saying this repeatedly.  Districts would not supersede Regions in any way, shape, or form.  This has to do with Senatorial representation, nothing more.

Essentially, this amendment does change the boundaries of the regions because it splits how the citizens are represented.  Senators are accustomed to representing their entire regions, not select portions of it.  By mandating that a region divides itself for representation purposes, we would be infringing on regions' rights.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies