Hell (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:14:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Hell (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Regardless of whether you believe in it or not, do you think anyone should deserve to go there?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Hell  (Read 4084 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« on: November 28, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »

As a current Universalist, yes, but only if their spiritual journey requires them to. One thing that many Universalists fail to truly comprehend is that many people think they are unworthy of Heaven, Nirvana, whatever their preferred afterlife may be.  As such, they personally require some form of propitiation to take place before they can accept grace.  In the Christian tradition, Christ provides that propitiation for us thru his crucifixion.  Personally, as a Christian Universalist, I think the crucifixion was necessary because there are those who would not be willing to accept grace save by such a demonstration of God being willing to do whatever it takes to convince us stiff-necked sinners that our sins are not so great as to deprive us of God's love.  Yet, I don't deny that there may be those who cannot be convinced save by experiencing Hell as a form of personal propitiation.

I do realize my conception of Hell, more closely resembles the classic version of Purgatory, but my view of the afterlife is such that it occurs outside linear time, so even an infinity of time spent in Hell is not boundless.
First, I answered NO, but by no I mean am talking about eternal suffering. Hell exists but I don't think that anyone should spend eternity suffering, nor would most people want to. As to the quotation, I would point out that 19th Universalists were divided into two camps, one that believed in ultra-universalism, meaning that all go directly to heaven and don't have to spend any time in hell and the restorationists who believed in a period of appropriate punishment in a temporary kind of purgatory for the harm that they had commited.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »

Do Jews believe in hell? I genuinely don't know.

As for me, I feel that the idea of anybody - even Hitler or Ted Bundy or phone operators that put you on hold for three hours - deserve eternal torment. It just feels unambiguous ly wrong, and an area of theology that I cannot wrap my head around.
Three hours? You have a lot more patience than I do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies