First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:52:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates  (Read 5100 times)
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« on: August 22, 2004, 09:23:09 PM »

Fritz is right, it is best to keep voting simple, rather than impose endless regulations on the process.  It is best to eliminate write-in candidates all together rather than struggle through an endless labyrinth of constituional sections and ammendments.  

Thus I propose the following.  Eliminate the write-in vote.  However, give the major parties the option of filing a candidate after the deadline.  In other words, if a candidate has the misfortune of being unable to file on time, but has the backing of a major party, give the candidate the oppurtunity to run on a party's ticket.  As a result, we eliminate the drawbacks of the write-in system but still give major candidates the oppurtunity to run.
Defarge

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 09:54:20 PM »

I've said it two times already, banning Write-In votes is a stupid idea, it's limiting and taking away the rights of the people.  Consider now if they banned Write-In votes, meaning the Government now completely controls who is put on the ballot....that is scary.

In such a small, close knit community, it is extremely unlikely that the rights of the people will be taken away because of an oppressive forum leadership.  Plus, God forbid, if they do become opressive, we can go start a new forum.  

I don't see any realistic scenario in which a popular candidate who would win through write-in votes, would be prevented from running by the forum leadership in a system where the parties can put forward candidates after the deadlines.  It is simply unthinkable that the forum's administration would act in such a matter that would abuse the elimination of the write-in vote.

Now, IRL, I agree with you, we should never eliminate the write-in vote from American Democracy.  However, here, in a small, close knit forum community, it simply makes a mockery of the filing deadlines, nothing more.
Defarge

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 10:01:57 PM »

I've said it two times already, banning Write-In votes is a stupid idea, it's limiting and taking away the rights of the people.  Consider now if they banned Write-In votes, meaning the Government now completely controls who is put on the ballot....that is scary.

In such a small, close knit community, it is extremely unlikely that the rights of the people will be taken away because of an oppressive forum leadership.  Plus, God forbid, if they do become opressive, we can go start a new forum.  

I don't see any realistic scenario in which a popular candidate who would win through write-in votes, would be prevented from running by the forum leadership in a system where the parties can put forward candidates after the deadlines.  It is simply unthinkable that the forum's administration would act in such a matter that would abuse the elimination of the write-in vote.

Now, IRL, I agree with you, we should never eliminate the write-in vote from American Democracy.  However, here, in a small, close knit forum community, it simply makes a mockery of the filing deadlines, nothing more.

PBrunsel just won the Governorship through a write in campaign.

PBrunsel was endorsed by the Republican and Southern Republican parties
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies