Environmental Policy Act of 2009 (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:12:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Environmental Policy Act of 2009 (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Environmental Policy Act of 2009 (Final Vote)  (Read 9061 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
« edited: March 30, 2009, 08:28:22 AM by Senator HappyWarrior »

Repeal of Environmental Policy Act of 2007
FL 22-4 is repealed.

Sponser: SPC
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:48 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm willing to discuss eliminating Section 3.....and making Section 1 less strict (or alternatively, I'd be willing to completely eliminate Section 1 if accompanied by a pretty large increase in the gas tax).

Otherwise, I'm not prepared under any circumstances to repeal this act entirely.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »

I strongly disagree with this bill. I can not see any section that warrants repeal.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 09:41:48 AM »

I also see no need for this repeal
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:42:35 AM »

I could support making Section 3 less excessive like maybe 25-50% reimbursment but overall I'm against repealing this act. We already have the technology for Section 1 but the car and oil companies just don't want the technology to come forward so maybe I could see pushing back the deadlines but that's it in that regard as well.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »

The limits set in Section 1 are artificial and I don't trust that we can accurately determine what cars "must" reach, in theory.

Now, I suppose I'd be willing to keep it....if the limits were made less strict, and pushed back, etc.

How about we drop Section 1, instead, and push a big gasoline tax increase?
If somebody wants to buy a car that only gets 28 mpg...well ok, that's fine....but let's increase the federal gas tax...by....let's say, $1.50/gallon.

All depends on how much people drive and the like....and artificially setting fuel consumption limits might not benefit everyone as it should, as it setting these restrictions invariably will make automobiles more expensive, and this would only be economically sensible if enough miles are driven. That, in my opinion, would be a more market friendly alternative.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:07:16 AM »

I am against this bill.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 05:31:30 PM »

How about a compromise, to make it so Section 1 is less strict, Section 2 requires a consumer safety warning if it doesn't meet the requirements, rather than imprisonment, and Section 3 is repealed?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 05:35:21 AM »

How about a compromise, to make it so Section 1 is less strict, Section 2 requires a consumer safety warning if it doesn't meet the requirements, rather than imprisonment, and Section 3 is repealed?

I'm willing to compromise on Sections 1 & 3, but I don't see why Section 2 is bad. Knowingly and willingly providing bad drinking water is a crime, in my opinion, that needs to be punished.

I submit the following amendment:

Section 1:
a: Repeal of Sections 2, 4 and 5 is eliminated.

b: Section 3 is repealed entirely.

c: The minimum standards outlined in Section 1 will be reduced in all categories for 2009 by 3 mpg, for 2011 by 4 mpg, and the standards for 2014 will be eliminated entirely and discussed again when the need arises.

Section 2: The federal Atlasian gasoline tax will be raised by $0.25/gallon to encourage the operation of fuel efficient cars.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »

I'm willing to compromise on Sections 1 & 3, but I don't see why Section 2 is bad. Knowingly and willingly providing bad drinking water is a crime, in my opinion, that needs to be punished.

Section 1:

c: The minimum standards outlined in Section 1 will be reduced in all categories for 2009 by 3 mpg, for 2011 by 4 mpg, and the standards for 2014 will be eliminated entirely and discussed again when the need arises.

Section 2: The federal Atlasian gasoline tax will be raised by $0.25/gallon to encourage the operation of fuel efficient cars.

I may be open to this change.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 08:37:13 PM »

Section 1:

I support this, seeing as how the bill in it's current form would likely not pass.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »

Section 1:

As I said, I think that the Atlasian consumer should be the only to decide the quality of his water, so long as he knows it is unhealthy. I don't see why the government needs to be a middle-man.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 03:22:30 AM »

Take it or leave it Wink
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 08:06:45 AM »

I don't mean to make it sound like Australia has all the answers, but in relation to Section 3, our government brought in a phase-out programme a few years back.

You can purchase energy efficent bulbs that last longer and use less power - thus reducing your energy bills. There is no reason for the government to subsidise something that will save the consumer money in the long run. A better alternative is to legislate that after a certain number of years, these bulbs will no longer be able to be sold. This means that the market can ensure that production of these bulbs will meet demand by the time of the phase-out, preventing a shortage of bulbs, while simultaneously providing an incentive for bulb manufacturers to produce energy saving bulbs.

Here's the Australian government site about this:
http://www.environment.gov.au/settlements/energyefficiency/lighting.html
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 06:42:25 PM »

Will you accept my amendment as friendly, SPC?

If not, I'd like a vote on it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »

The amendment would look nicer if got rid of 1a and just had the amendment replace the entire text of the original bill. Just sayin' Tongue

And I like Smid's idea re: the light bulb phase-out program.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »

While your amendment would be an improvement of the status quo, I think it would be better to have a vote on it, so we can see where the Senate stands. So, I don't accept it as friendly.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 03:31:23 AM »

Section 1:

I'd like to bring this amendment to a vote now.

I do support Smid's idea (and Lief is correct too Smiley).

I'll let Smid create his own amendment about that, though, after this is done.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 07:35:56 AM »

On the Amendment at vote:

AYE
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »

AYE
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 08:03:29 AM »

Nay
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2009, 06:13:36 PM by Senator SPC »

Aye

EDIT: Changed my vote to aye, because it looks like the original bill won't pass.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 12:11:57 PM »

Nay
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »

Nay.

I like the bill as is, except for a change in the section 3. I don't see a need to impose a regressive gas tax.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »

Nay.

I like the bill as is, except for a change in the section 3. I don't see a need to impose a regressive gas tax.

Wait, you like my version of the bill as is, or Franzl's amendment as is?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies