The Atlasian Sentinel Presidental Debate, October '09
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:30:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel Presidental Debate, October '09
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel Presidental Debate, October '09  (Read 4546 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »

I would be different from President Lief, different from all the other candidates as well, in one simple respect. I would rule not as a mere bourgeois puppet President, but as the leader of a dictatorship of the proletariat. On behalf of the people, and I must stress that all would happen on behalf of the people, I would consolidate all power into my hands and then, on behalf of the people, delegate it to the appropriate persons, while retaining the total power to remove these persons from power and replace them with others if, and only if, it is appropriate for the welfare and security of the people.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »

I would be different from President Lief, different from all the other candidates as well, in one simple respect. I would rule not as a mere bourgeois puppet President, but as the leader of a dictatorship of the proletariat. On behalf of the people, and I must stress that all would happen on behalf of the people, I would consolidate all power into my hands and then, on behalf of the people, delegate it to the appropriate persons, while retaining the total power to remove these persons from power and replace them with others if, and only if, it is appropriate for the welfare and security of the people.

So what else is new? Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »

Could you all summarize your general foreign policy beliefs, and a few issues in foreign policy you would address as President? What would you look for in a SoEA?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »

I am something of an anti-interventionist on foreign policy. I oppose us getting involved in things that do not directly concern us. On the other hand, I would not call myself an isolationist. Dealing with other nations is a duty whose importance cannot be denied.

With that said, I would not take action to end our support for Colombia and Israel. While I do think we have put ourselves at some risk by supporting them, we need to prove ourselves to be honest and trustworthy allies. Part of that is backing up the people who we have agreed to back up. Of course, we do need to show discretion in what we back them up in. I am not advocating that we invade Iran should Israel wish to do so.

Otherwise, I think that we need to continue working with the world's other nuclear powers to continue scaling back our arsenals and dissuade other nations from gaining nuclear arsenals, so that we may put the fear of nuclear weapons behind us. I would also be interested in establishing free trade agreements with any allies of ours who we don't have an FTA with yet, though I would also make sure there existed sufficient support for it to pass, so that I do not waste the Senate's time in doing so.

As for a SoEA, I want someone who considers among their highest priorities the continued safety of the Atlasian people. Towards this end, my ideal SoEA is someone who would avoid war unless necessary, aggressively search out peaceful solutions, & not choose courses of actions for personal reasons. As long as we are not talking about someone who is outright belligerent, I am rather flexible as far as potential SoEAs go.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »

I am something of an anti-interventionist on foreign policy. I oppose us getting involved in things that do not directly concern us. On the other hand, I would not call myself an isolationist. Dealing with other nations is a duty whose importance cannot be denied.

With that said, I would not take action to end our support for Colombia and Israel. While I do think we have put ourselves at some risk by supporting them, we need to prove ourselves to be honest and trustworthy allies. Part of that is backing up the people who we have agreed to back up. Of course, we do need to show discretion in what we back them up in. I am not advocating that we invade Iran should Israel wish to do so.

Otherwise, I think that we need to continue working with the world's other nuclear powers to continue scaling back our arsenals and dissuade other nations from gaining nuclear arsenals, so that we may put the fear of nuclear weapons behind us. I would also be interested in establishing free trade agreements with any allies of ours who we don't have an FTA with yet, though I would also make sure there existed sufficient support for it to pass, so that I do not waste the Senate's time in doing so.

As for a SoEA, I want someone who considers among their highest priorities the continued safety of the Atlasian people. Towards this end, my ideal SoEA is someone who would avoid war unless necessary, aggressively search out peaceful solutions, & not choose courses of actions for personal reasons. As long as we are not talking about someone who is outright belligerent, I am rather flexible as far as potential SoEAs go.

What about human rights abuses in foreign countries that don't directly harm Atlasia?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2009, 10:18:44 PM by Lt. Governor PiT »

What about human rights abuses in foreign countries that don't directly harm Atlasia?

I think we should work with other countries to put pressure on them to end their abuses. I don't think we should attack them or put ourselves in a position where being obligated to attack them is likely.

I did not make it too clear at first, but when I said we should not get involved in things that do not directly concern us, I primarily meant that we should avoid being the world police and that we should also try to avoid getting into wars on the behalf of our allies. I am fine with being involved in world affairs as long as we do not attempt to use our military might as leverage.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »

BUMP for the other Presidential candidates Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »

Answer the question guys, polls open in less than two days.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 07:08:05 AM »

All Atlasian Imperialism and Coca-Cola Capitalism will end. Apologies will be given to peoples damaged by both. Attempts will then be made to guarantee the security of Cultural Marxism in Atlasia by helping to foster Cultural Marxist revolutions in neighbouring countries, and then establishing a Pact of some kind between all Cultural Marxist nations in order to better defend ourselves.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 08:07:21 AM »

I believe that, in a best case scenario, everyone on the planet would live in free and fair societies, where a just rule of law was upheld. To that end, I support a foreign policy that encourages the growth of liberal democracies and international institutions linking nations together, allowing them to cooperate to solve pressing problems. At the same time though, I am realistic, and realize that Atlasia is not big enough or rich enough to overthrow every dictator or help every starving human-being. I realize as well that military force, though always an option, more often inflames conflict and resentment than it helps to bring peace. Thus, we need to use our armed forces sparingly and carefully.

As President, I have supported our allies, particularly those allies of ours who have made great strides in ensuring freedom, equality and justice for their citizens, and those allies of ours who have been threatened by the sort of warmongering militarism that should no longer exist in the 21st century. I fully stand by our efforts in Colombia and Venezuela, and in the coming days I hope to work with the Senate on crafting legislation to aid our allies in Yemen, one of the few democracies and fair systems of government in the region.

If re-elected, I will ask SoEA HappyWarrior to continue on. His work ethic and activity in his position are admirable, and I truly think he has been one, if not the, best Secretaries of External Affairs to have served. If he chooses to stand down, however, I will look for someone with a similar dedication to the job, as well as an interest in and knowledge of world affairs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »

With all due respect, anyone who calls Yemen a democracy is obviously not fit to be in charge of this country's foreign policy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 11:23:40 AM »

With all due respect, anyone who calls Yemen a democracy is obviously not fit to be in charge of this country's foreign policy.

I think it's certainly better than the regional alternatives.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »

Yemen, one of the few democracies and fair systems of government in the region.

I'm very distressed by that statement. Yemen is not a democracy at any rate, except going by the Russian definition of the term or something.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 04:05:29 PM »

Yemen, one of the few democracies and fair systems of government in the region.

I'm very distressed by that statement. Yemen is not a democracy at any rate, except going by the Russian definition of the term or something.

Like I said, the Yemeni government is certainly better than regional alternatives and the Shabab al-Muomineen insurgency in the country. It's important that we work with and encourage governments of all stripes to liberalize their laws, fight corruption, and ensure as free elections as possible, and I would tie any increases in aid to the beleaguered Yemeni government to promises and actions taken to achieve these ends. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »

My foreign policy would be based on case-by-case decisions. There is no one size fits all strategy, but in general, I think it's fair to say I'm an anti-interventionist. I don't believe in using Atlasia's military might without an extremely good reason, as exhibited through my opposition to using military force in Colombia.

The best way to secure peace is to establish trust between nations. One of the best ways to produce good ties is through free trade agreements which provide mutual benefits.

Terrorism remains a threat, and as President, it would be my top priority to keep all Atlasians safe. Fighting terrorism is difficult, and I can't say for certain what that might include. As said, I am reluctant to use military force, but I see Iran, for example, as a very major threat, and I believe that it must be prevented that they acquire nuclear weapons. At this time, I believe there are ample other methods left to try before thinking about force.

Atlasia under President Franzl will show goodwill to all nations, regardless of past relations with Atlasia. A peaceful world without military conflict is one of my goals for the future.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »

Well, as voting starts tonight, I'll have to cut this short. I would like to thank the candidates for participating.

We are now in the town hall portion, any citizen may ask these candidates questions. Please keep them intelligent and relevant.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »

I have a question for the candidates. Pretty basic.

What is your opinion of the main political parties? Doesn't have to be long, and try to be honest. (Like, not suck up to them.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »

This is... I think quite simple. The so-called "Progressive" Conservatives are dangerous imperalistic fascists and the purest manifestation of petty bourgeois curtain-twitching reactionary tendencies. The defencist "Jesus Christ Party", far from being a leftist organisation, is about as red as shrimp-paste and is in fact an objectively reactionary party and a mongerer of false consciousness... and as the foreign policy of the current administration shows, a party dominated by the interests of imperalist folly. The so called "Democratic" Alliance is merely the prostitute of our current party system. If it has an ideology it is that of childish bourgeois liberal folly and of little else. The LNF is, however, an extremely useful way of propagating the message of Cultural Marxism to the Workers and Peasants of Atlasia.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 07:06:47 PM »

ProCon, I must say that I like many of my colleagues there, and I would like to give thanks to Devilman, tmth, Duke, and anyone else who has helped push to make the party more democratic over the course of this convention. Positive overall.

JCP, I must admit that I do not really have a close working relationship with most of its members. However, I have worked with some of its members to help achieve some common goals in the past. I've found dealing with them in those instances to be rather pleasant, though the nature of partisanship in Atlasia ensures that I'm at odds with them most of the time. I view them fairly negatively, though that has much to do with my issues with many of their less active members.

DA, I worked with them much more extensively in the past than now. I'm ambivalent towards them, though I do remain on very good terms with many of their members. I was upset about the MasterJedi/Franzl ticket falling through, but I also admired how they stood up for their members. I'd say my view of them is fairly positive.

LNF, I find looniness to be a very refreshing ideology here in Atlasia. Their posts are also very enjoyable to read. I would prefer being able to work with them more, but they do accomplish their goal of making Atlasia a loonier place. Rather positive.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 05:50:36 PM »

So yeah, I cut this short because I though the election was on the third Friday, not second to last, so here's another question Smiley

Strategic voter registration and by extension regional Senate seats has become a hot issue in the past few weeks. What do you think should be done, if anything, to combat strategic voter registration?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »

For one thing, I agree with the Strategic Registration Amendment and hope that it passes.

However, as I have said in the past, that just solves one-half of the problem. The other half exists because of newbies being able to register wherever. This would be much harder to legislate against, but I think that that may now be unnecessary. The only major proponent of strategic registration within the ProCon has now left the party, leaving two major recruiters who support having newbies register in their own state.

That is not to say that the ProCon is the only party that has engaged in strategic registration. However, my hope is that the combination of this amendment and the loss of its popularity within the ProCon will go a long way towards ending this tactic.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:08 PM »

Those responsible should be put before a People's Tribunal and shot.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »

I think a problem like, so detrimental to the working of the game, requires an outside the box solution, rather than tinkering out with registration laws (though strong registration laws are important as well). That's why I've taken a stand and called for the abolition of regional senate seats. Regional senate seats have been broken for a long time, and it's time we discarded them. Even this election, in which supporters of regionalism claim that we are seeing active regional elections, really only three are being contested. Sixty percent, though better than the twenty or forty seen in the past, is not good enough.

I would also be willing to look at restrictions on moving, either making it so that voters cannot reregister in new states or increasing the wait time between moves to half or a full year. What I do not support are any plans to "redistrict" the regions or complicated schemes to shrink the number of regions. A problem like this can be solved with a simple solution; there is no need for needlessly complicated ones.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »

I think a problem like, so detrimental to the working of the game, requires an outside the box solution, rather than tinkering out with registration laws (though strong registration laws are important as well). That's why I've taken a stand and called for the abolition of regional senate seats. Regional senate seats have been broken for a long time, and it's time we discarded them. Even this election, in which supporters of regionalism claim that we are seeing active regional elections, really only three are being contested. Sixty percent, though better than the twenty or forty seen in the past, is not good enough.

I would also be willing to look at restrictions on moving, either making it so that voters cannot reregister in new states or increasing the wait time between moves to half or a full year. What I do not support are any plans to "redistrict" the regions or complicated schemes to shrink the number of regions. A problem like this can be solved with a simple solution; there is no need for needlessly complicated ones.

What would you replace regional Senate seats with?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »

Nationally elected seats of some sort, and I've always been open to the idea of a Council of Governors. During my first month or so in the Senate, I pushed for a 10-nationally-elected seat Senate and a five seat Council of Governors as a fair compromise to the situation, but it didn't passed. I still think it's a good, simple reform that will make the game more fun and interesting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies