DRA stuff (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:14:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  DRA stuff (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DRA stuff  (Read 33904 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« on: November 22, 2017, 07:46:41 AM »

Map of current 2012/2016 PVI data available (Green of course being available and Red being currently unavailable).
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:04:09 PM »

I shall change my map forthwith.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »

Updated map
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2017, 07:32:59 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

Updated map of current 2012/2016 PVI data available in DRA

The only states with more than one Congressional District which still don't have data are; Texas, Louisiana, Michigan and Connecticut
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 08:44:30 PM »

Updated map of current 2012/2016 PVI data available in DRA
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

Still none of the single district states Sad

Makes me worried that there are no plans for those.
Well to be honest you'd expect them to be last states to be added given that those states, bar Montana, have no chance of gaining a second Congressional District anytime soon, so the PVI would have no use for realistic plans, however I fully expect them to be added given that having 7 states without data for all eternity would be unacceptable to a great many of its user base.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »

Why the **** does DRA still not have PVI data for the 1-District states.

Be grateful for what you have. Calculating the PVI data for VTDs and Block Groups that may or may not reflect the 2016 precincts (and 2012 precincts, that might differ from the 2016 precincts) takes the time and effort of someone.

Since the 1-district states are probably the least-mapped, it makes sense to leave them for last, no?

but like, all the other states have been completed like months ago, and they still have yet to do the rest.
Cook calculated the PVIs for the 538 redistricting maps. They obviously didn't calculate it for the states where they wouldn't be drawing districts. So it's probable that there will never be PVIs for the at large districts.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:32:05 PM »

Be grateful for what you have. Calculating the PVI data for VTDs and Block Groups that may or may not reflect the 2016 precincts (and 2012 precincts, that might differ from the 2016 precincts) takes the time and effort of someone.

Since the 1-district states are probably the least-mapped, it makes sense to leave them for last, no?

but like, all the other states have been completed like months ago, and they still have yet to do the rest.
Cook calculated the PVIs for the 538 redistricting maps. They obviously didn't calculate it for the states where they wouldn't be drawing districts. So it's probable that there will never be PVIs for the at large districts.

Atlas' own RealisticIdealist is helping DRA translate his 2012/16 results by precinct archive into PVI results by 2010 VTD/Block Group. I doubt this has anything to do with Cook - anyone who knows how can compute a Cook PVI. I've done it before.
All the maps were drawn by David Wasserman
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:43:50 PM »

Atlas' own RealisticIdealist is helping DRA translate his 2012/16 results by precinct archive into PVI results by 2010 VTD/Block Group. I doubt this has anything to do with Cook - anyone who knows how can compute a Cook PVI. I've done it before.

What maps? The maps on Dave's Redistricting maps are Census shapefiles of VTDs (most states) or Block Groups (those states that didn't participate in Census' VTD program). Anyone can replicate by downloading the shapefiles from Census.
I mean the 538 maps, and after a little bit more of a look DRA got all their precinct data from DDHQ, "So we acquired precinct-level voting results for the 2012 and 2016 presidential elections from Decision Desk HQ, along with the boundaries of the precincts in those elections."
And on the DRA page:
"New Election Data: DRA now has, for all states with more than one congressional district, a composite Partisan Voting Index (PVI) (developed by Cook Political Report) of the 2012 and 2016 presidential elections. The raw data for this calculation is from Decision Desk HQ/Ryne Rohla"
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:44:14 PM »

What maps? The maps on Dave's Redistricting maps are Census shapefiles of VTDs (most states) or Block Groups (those states that didn't participate in Census' VTD program). Anyone can replicate by downloading the shapefiles from Census.
I mean the 538 maps, and after a little bit more of a look DRA got all their precinct data from DDHQ, "So we acquired precinct-level voting results for the 2012 and 2016 presidential elections from Decision Desk HQ, along with the boundaries of the precincts in those elections."
And on the DRA page:
"New Election Data: DRA now has, for all states with more than one congressional district, a composite Partisan Voting Index (PVI) (developed by Cook Political Report) of the 2012 and 2016 presidential elections. The raw data for this calculation is from Decision Desk HQ/Ryne Rohla"
538 talk about it here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-drew-2568-congressional-districts-by-hand-heres-how/
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »

The raw data was created by Ryne Rohla who is RealisticIdealist...fail.

If you go to his 2016 election precinct map thread, he mentions that he was adding it in. 538 simply used the data present in dra to draw their maps.
I accept full responsibility for my error.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2018, 03:18:22 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

A light Democratic gerrymander for Colorado 2010

District 1 D+8
District 2 D+6
District 3 D+7
District 4 R+16
District 5 R+14