German Elections & Politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Elections & Politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German Elections & Politics  (Read 672515 times)
oddfellowslocal151
« on: January 21, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »

So, let me get this straight:

* Merkel/CDU-CSU was expected to win easily, but then had a very mediocre (= bad) election result and got humiliated.

* She then limped along to talk with the FDP and Greens, which failed utterly.

* The SPD had a chance to go into opposition and rebuild and let Merkel "auflaufen" (= in English something like "let herself disassemble along the way").

* Instead, the SPD chose to betray voters and start talks with her and contrary to Merkel it's now themselves who are aufgelaufen (=> hitting the wall at full speed in this split vote).

How stupid is the SPD ?

Schulz comes from a political culture (the EU) where he benefited greatly from his GroKo with the EPP, and he never had to look over his shoulder electorally. Also, I think his speech indicated that it was only to pursue the talks.

I personally, despite not wanting the GroKo, understand the political logic behind it, especially after what one of the German posters said on here about the average age of the SPD rank and file.

The thing with constant Grand Coalitions is that they could turn into political incest (see Austria) , or in the case of Germany - political BDSM - and that people/parties will start to hate each other after a long time together.

So, it is refreshing to have another government option here and then, even if it involves the FPÖ or the AfD. Here is where I don't understand the Germans and their desire for "keeping the Far Right out of office no matter what". It seems the Germans are the Vulcans of Europe ("do not allow any emotions and kill any political incorrectness immediately because it would be a sign of instability"). On the other hand, Austrians have no such "Vulcan" reservations.

Yes, what could possibly make the Germans hesitant about the Far Right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies