CSU: Immigrants should speak German at home, CDU says LOLwhat ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:43:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  CSU: Immigrants should speak German at home, CDU says LOLwhat ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CSU: Immigrants should speak German at home, CDU says LOLwhat ?  (Read 13010 times)
Lurker
Norway
« on: December 11, 2014, 10:44:21 AM »

Sure, but the speed of this transformation depends on the size and status of the language of the host country. If it is a world language like English, what you describe will be the case. Language change happens slower and more reluctantly if the  switch is to a minor language which isn't useful (or of limited use) outside the host country.
True, I have been in the Netherlands for 4 years and I still speak almost no Dutch, because I can survive with my extremely basic level. On the other hand I lived in Italy for six months only and my Italian is better than my Dutch, because no one spoke English there.

Many people move to a new country thinking it will only be for a short-time, and then you happen to stay 10, 20 years or your whole life...

Have you made no attempt to learn the language? I never understood why people would not want to learn the language of the country they live in (unless they're only living there for a few months or so).
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »

Sure, but the speed of this transformation depends on the size and status of the language of the host country. If it is a world language like English, what you describe will be the case. Language change happens slower and more reluctantly if the  switch is to a minor language which isn't useful (or of limited use) outside the host country.
True, I have been in the Netherlands for 4 years and I still speak almost no Dutch, because I can survive with my extremely basic level. On the other hand I lived in Italy for six months only and my Italian is better than my Dutch, because no one spoke English there.

Many people move to a new country thinking it will only be for a short-time, and then you happen to stay 10, 20 years or your whole life...

Have you made no attempt to learn the language? I never understood why people would not want to learn the language of the country they live in (unless they're only living there for a few months or so).

I agree with you. Although I did the same thing as swl. Spent a year in the Netherlands and learnt, in effect, no Dutch. I feel rather embarrassed about that actually. But it is very easy to do...

Yes - though I understand it's different if you're only planning on staying for a year (particularly if you are studying).
I can't really imagining living in another country for a long time without learning the language though - even if  English was the primary language at my workplace. Just socially and culturally, I would think you lose a lot by not being able to speak the native language.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »

Very poor German. I.e., most of the stuff that foreigners hate (der, die, das, ein, einen, einem etc.) causes major headaches for them as well.

Is that really true for third generation immigrants as well? Tongue
I wouldn't be surprised that they had their own sociolect/slang - but not knowing basic grammar is a different matter. Something must really have gone wrong in Germany's integration policies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies