OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:55:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 71
Author Topic: OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7  (Read 110719 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »

O'Connor would be lucky to get around 45% in Delaware County. I think, in this environment, he should get to 40%.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »

A Republican win here would indicate that the national environment for Democrats has moved substantially towards the Republicans since the PA-18 special.

And there are no signs to indicate that the national environment has gotten any better for Republicans in the mean time, which is why I think O Connor is significantly favored.

I love how the hot takes are beginning a month before the election even happens.

Early voting starts tomorrow -- it's not too early for the hot takes.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »

A Republican win here would indicate that the national environment for Democrats has moved substantially towards the Republicans since the PA-18 special.

And there are no signs to indicate that the national environment has gotten any better for Republicans in the mean time, which is why I think O Connor is significantly favored.

I love how the hot takes are beginning a month before the election even happens.

Is Ohio one of those states that does registration by party?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2018, 03:04:57 PM »

Is Ohio one of those states that does registration by party?

They don't. Closest thing they have is "last primary vote".
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2018, 05:28:18 PM »

Granted, last primary vote is generally a pretty good indicator of how people vote overall...

But things are weird, right now. There are a good number of Democrats who voted for Kasich in 2016 primary and then didn't vote in the midterm primaries. I've encountered so many twentysomethings who are registered Republicans who are die-hard Democrats...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2018, 03:02:03 AM »

New internal poll for Danny O'Connor (D) has him down by 5 points:

48% Troy Balderson (R)
43% Danny O'Connor (D)
  5% Joe Manchik (G)

A previous poll taken by O'Connor's campaign in June showed Balderson with a 7-point lead, 48 percent to 41 percent.

Both of O'Connor's polls were conducted by GPA strategies. The July poll was taken among 600 likely voters via land and cell phone lines; it has a margin of error of +/- 4.0 percentage points. The June 9-12 poll involved 500 likely voters and had a +/- 4.4 percent margin of error.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2018/07/troy_baldersons_lead_narrows_i.html
UncleSam

« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2018, 04:08:13 AM »

The lack of publicity surrounding this race will help O’Connor. Lower turnout elections favor higher enthusiasm portions of the electorate. It’s not obvious to me, however, what happens if O’Connor wins. Does he then have to win three months later in a regular election? I’d imagine that would be tougher.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2018, 06:46:47 AM »

The lack of publicity surrounding this race will help O’Connor. Lower turnout elections favor higher enthusiasm portions of the electorate. It’s not obvious to me, however, what happens if O’Connor wins. Does he then have to win three months later in a regular election? I’d imagine that would be tougher.

He is going for re-election 3 months later. The election will also be O'Connor vs. Balderson. I think if he wins here, he'll probably win in November. Rematches of special elections in a regular election tend to go to who won the special.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »

Nah, O’Connor could’ve won, but he’s blown it.  He needed to run a much stronger campaign to pull it off and even then, we might’ve simply needed Jay Goyal.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »

I concurr that OConnor is losing; however, in most polls, Trump is over 50 in OH and Fl. Dems can still win, but its harder
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »

He is going for re-election 3 months later. The election will also be O'Connor vs. Balderson. I think if he wins here, he'll probably win in November. Rematches of special elections in a regular election tend to go to who won the special.

There is still a chance, however, that Melanie Leneghan winds up being the GE nominee. In which case, O’Connor could lose the special by just a few points and then come back to win in November.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2018, 08:40:53 AM »

There is still a chance, however, that Melanie Leneghan winds up being the GE nominee. In which case, O’Connor could lose the special by just a few points and then come back to win in November.

How so ?

She was defeated by 1% in both the special election GOP primary and the GE GOP primary ...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »

How so ?

She was defeated by 1% in both the special election GOP primary and the GE GOP primary ...

Read back. She’s suing over the GE primary results, saying the recount she asked for in Muskingum was conducted improperly, along with other issues in Franklin and Delaware counties.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »

A great David Weigel piece about this race

Essentially O'Connor has been 100% on protecting the ACA and Social Security and bashing the Trump tax cuts. He was able to get on the air first and define himself before Balderson could. Republicans are starting to grumble a little bit like this could turn into another PA-18. Personally this feels more like AZ-08.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »

Essentially O'Connor has been 100% on protecting the ACA and Social Security and bashing the Trump tax cuts. He was able to get on the air first and define himself before Balderson could. Republicans are starting to grumble a little bit like this could turn into another PA-18. Personally this feels more like AZ-08.

Funny how these races always seem to start to head that direction innit
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »

They really all have, except for TX-27. The next question becomes, does this same occurrence happen nationwide in November?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2018, 10:15:06 AM »

They really all have, except for TX-27. The next question becomes, does this same occurrence happen nationwide in November?
I think so, and its because of one factor. That undecided vote. It seems like in every contest we have, the undecideds go to the D more than the R. This is in contrast to 2010, 2014, and 2016, where the R got most of the undecideds.

I think this race could become a PA-18 if done right. O'Connor has a lot going for him, and its only three weeks out. A lot can change in 3 weeks. Dems have been over preforming in literally every area of America, from MT, to the R suburbs of AZ(seriously though, AZ-08 was probably the biggest surprise of the entire congressional special season, hands down). But, then again, Balderson is rather tough, and the seat is suburban, and less likely to swing than rurals. So, I guess we just have to wait a bit and see how the race develops.

The fact that Balderson did not release an internal after O'Connor is a promising sign.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »

Right now I predict a Democratic loss between 2 and 3%. (Split the dofference and call it 2.5%.) O’Connor could still win by the skin of his teeth, but I would not bet on it. He’s no Lamb, Balderson’s no whatshisname, and the Ohio 12th isn’t remotely similar to PA-18.

PA-18 was filled with voters who used to be solid Democrats and were still open to The Right Democrat (tm). OH-12 has very little of that—minus Mansfield—and really the opposite. It mught be trending D in the Columbus suburbs and Delaware County, but a lot of the district just isn’t there yet. O’Connor actually lost the OH-12 portion of Franklin County in 2016 when he rolled over former Republican Recorder Daphne Hawk with a 14% win.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:58 AM »

Balderson is on TV with a negative ad that looks like it could backfire. The "Radical Left Wing Group" O'Connor allegedly supported with taxpayer dollars is The Women's Fund of Central Ohio. People are mad and rightly so.

Still, even after O'Connor's latest internal which showed him down 5%, the polling average is Balderson +7%
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »

Hmm. O'Connor has the facebook enthusiasm, surprisingly, considering Balderson is an established state senator. 4.3K likes to Balderson's 1.6K. Moving this race from Safe R to Likely R in my ratings.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »

DCCC is going up with ads tomorrow:

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »

Hmm. O'Connor has the facebook enthusiasm, surprisingly, considering Balderson is an established state senator. 4.3K likes to Balderson's 1.6K. Moving this race from Safe R to Likely R in my ratings.

Franklin County executives like O'Connor represent over 1 million people while State Senators represent ~350k. Don't read too much into social media engagement.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »

DCCC going in.

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix