Trump Iran decision thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:55:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Iran decision thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump Iran decision thread  (Read 2597 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: October 13, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »

Sure, I totally get what you are saying but you are sounding like an elite.

I recommend liberal professor Joan Williams' take on the issue:
http://wvpublic.org/post/nine-things-liberals-dont-understand-about-white-working-class

White working class folks tend to admire the very rich, but really resent professionals. “These (professionals) are the people who are ordering them around every day, often disrespectfully," she said, such as the college kid who gets promoted ahead of you, or the doctor or teacher who condescends to you.

And the rich? “That’s what the white working class would like to be,” she said.

“They don’t want to make all the cultural changes required for them to become professional families. They just want to be exactly the way they are, living their lives the ways they’ve always lived them with the values they’ve always had…but with more money.”

Clinton represented the condescension of professionals, she says. Trump represented their dream.

You say this like it's a good thing.

Yes, I agree that a large number of unexceptional poor whites (many of whom didn't often vote or leaned Democratic) were drawn to Trump because they thought it would be funny to put one over on the smart, successful people they resent so much.

But I don't know why anyone would condone such pettiness - it's not like Trump is making their lives any better, so all they got is a fleeting memory of how fun Election Night was.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies