Côte d'Ivoire/Ivory Coast thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:18:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Côte d'Ivoire/Ivory Coast thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Côte d'Ivoire/Ivory Coast thread  (Read 6713 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »

This hasn't got attention here for a couple months,

I noticed that as well.  for example, in the WaPo on-line today, under the Africa section there are five stories.  They are about Libya, Libya, Libya, Libya, and Sudan, respectively.  Thanks for the post.

The problem with UN sanctions is that they usually hurt the innocent, those at the bottom of the food chain, more than they hurt those intended targets.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:35 AM »

This hasn't got attention here for a couple months,

I noticed that as well.  for example, in the WaPo on-line today, under the Africa section there are five stories.  They are about Libya, Libya, Libya, Libya, and Sudan, respectively.  Thanks for the post.

The problem with UN sanctions is that they usually hurt the innocent, those at the bottom of the food chain, more than they hurt those intended targets.

The PBS Newshour actually did a short segment on it last night.  Basically opposition forces making gains.  Like what Ben Wahlah' posted.  It was refreshing to hear some mainstream news.

The NYT wrote today that Captain Léon Alla, Ouattara’s military spokesman, said “It was like butter.”  He was referring to the ease with which they took the administrative capital without firing many shots.  I guess that's like when Americans say "it was like gravy."  

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/world/africa/01ivory.html?_r=1&ref=africa

Incidently, it is an English-language article.  We don't refer to Germany as Deutschland when writing in English, or to Spain as España.  Nothing wrong with the BBC or the NYT writing about what's happening on the Ivory Coast, although it would obviously be weird if Le Monde did that.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:21 AM »

Much more reporting since you posted this thread.  Maybe the press reads this forum.

From today's WaPo:

"Forces backing Alassane Ouattara have overrun nearly 80 percent of the country as soldiers fled and towns fell in quick succession. The regular army put up almost no resistance during the four-day offensive, including in the ruler’s hometown, where fighters broke into Laurent Gbagbo’s compound and slept in his bed.  But they may face fierce resistance on the peninsula where the presidential palace is located, surrounded on all sides by a natural moat — Abidjan’s glassy lagoon."

It goes on to say that Gbagbo's soldiers are defecting or deserting.  Fifty thousand just today. But it also says that Ouattara is determined not to resign or abdicate.

They may be optimistic calling it the "final push" because both sides seem pretty determined.  Lots of nice pics too.  Click here to see the gallery.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »

It looks to me like he got bored and left after everything was stolen.  Well, there's a carseat still there, behind the flagpole, but I think that dude passing by has his eye on that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »

I noticed that.  Here's the WaPo story. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/witnesses-french-tanks-advance-on-ivory-coast-strongman-gbagbos-bunker-in-abidjan/2011/04/11/AFhoM2ID_story.html?hpid=z1

Notice that in the final line of the third paragraph, Laurent Gbagbo is said to have been "hold up" in the presidential residence with his family.  I think the writer was a little confused.  He was actually "holed up" with his family.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies