The Institute of VP leaks, tips, and speculation (GOP edition) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:48:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The Institute of VP leaks, tips, and speculation (GOP edition) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Institute of VP leaks, tips, and speculation (GOP edition)  (Read 54414 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »

A blatant pander to a Pro Choice woman, no less. The base will be oh so very pleased.

A 7% approval record from NARAL?  I've looked at her votes.  She's not as anti-choice as Tom Coburn, but she's pretty far to the right.  Look at her voting record.  Now, she might not favor overturning Roe (I don't know) and she does support stem cell (like McCain, Orin Hatch and Gordon Smith) but on all the other abortion issues, she's just plain dreamy to the theocons.

They'll be fine with her.  Moreso than with Ridge.  MUCH moreso than with Lieberman.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:58:53 PM »

A blatant pander to a Pro Choice woman, no less. The base will be oh so very pleased.

A 7% approval record from NARAL?  I've looked at her votes.  She's not as anti-choice as Tom Coburn, but she's pretty far to the right.  Look at her voting record.  Now, she might not favor overturning Roe (I don't know) and she does support stem cell (like McCain, Orin Hatch and Gordon Smith) but on all the other abortion issues, she's just plain dreamy to the theocons.

They'll be fine with her.  Moreso than with Ridge.  MUCH moreso than with Lieberman.

I'll be honest - I never really looked at her voting record on this issue. I've always heard that she is Pro Choice though.

She may be in that she doesn't think Roe can or should be overturned.  But she has voted against partial birth abortion, federal funding of abortion, abortion on military bases, funding for contraceptives and prevention efforts here and abroad, for parental consent and notification, and against allowing the transport of minors across state lines for abortions and abortion counseling.  She has also voted for legislation requiring offenders to be charged with two murders when a pregnant woman is killed. 

About the only think I can say that the anti-choice folks would dislike would be her support for stem cell research.   But yeah, I dunno where she stands on Roe.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »

Rice is being vetted.  Just reported.

Yeah, AOL says Jeb Bush is still being looked at, too.  I don't believe McCain is that stupid.  He is going to choose wisely. If he were to choose Rice, Lieberman or Bush...it would be political suicide.  A liberal Democrat on social issues, a foreign policy bumbler and the brother of the biggest clown to ever occupy the White House.  Nah.  Mac is too smart for that.

Jmcfst is right that Palin would be a brilliant, out of the box move that would put Democrats in a tactical tailspin.

But McCain can select someone else.  Palin may not want the job, or she may have skeletons in her closet no one knows about yet.  I am not sure she's been vetted.  

Ridge would hurt because he is a Bush Admin castoff.  He can be sold as a guy who saw the ship was sinking and was smart enough to get off.  He can "get religion" on abortion as H.W. Bush did in 1980 or just promise not to make his pro-choice stance an issue.  He can counter Biden easily in Pennsylvania.  Another war hero on the ticket, too.

Hutchison could provide the PUMAs (if they even exist -- Chuck Todd has his doubts) with a convenient excuse for voting McCain.  She is a Southerner and a Texan, to boot.  Texans are usually good news for a Presidential ticket, Lloyd Bentsen notwithstanding.

Portman may be more problematic in that he, and Mitch Daniels, helped craft the disastrous economic policies of the Bush Administration.  But he's a smart guy, has a handle on foreign affairs and is quite likeable...even House Democrats seem to genuinely like the guy.

Romney, well...I personally think he'd be a terrible pick.  If one or two McCain commercials using Hillary against Obama "worked" (we don't know if they did), they would surely be buried under a wave of ads featuring Willard insulting McCain and McCain returning fire.  Even conservatives tend to agree Romney is a flip flopping opportunist.  Would that, in any way, enhance the Democratic message that McCain has flip flopped on many key issues?

If it's not Palin or Ridge, then look at John Thune or some  right winger with a nice smile.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:28:41 PM »

Who helps McCain more? Pawlenty or Romney? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Pawlenty or Minnesota politics. I'm not expecting much of a fair or balanced explanation but I'm hoping a reasonable poster will please tell me. Please no "OMGz McSame sux".

He's good because he's young and satisfies conservatives. He also doesn't have the problems that Romney has.

Gotta agree.  Plus, Pawlenty was a McCain supporter from the get go.  Mac has been smart to roll out the video of Hillary, Biden and other question Obama's readiness for the Presidency.  If he picks Romney, all that gets cancelled out.  

Plus, Pawlenty seems like such a likeable, unassuming guy.  A lot like Biden in that sense.  He strikes me as a guy who would ride the train to work, be a family man, etc.  Truth is, Romney IS a family man...a very devoted one.  But he just lacks that "salt of the earth" quality Pawlenty seems to have.

I'm still saying Pawlenty, Portman, Ridge or maybe someone like Thune.  But Jmcfst's thoughts about Palin remain intriguing.  And, speaking as a Democrat...scary.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »

Steele on Fox News stated about 30 min ago he thought it was either Palin or Pawlenty, but thought McCain would pick Palin.

That would be amazing.

If McCain picks Palin, he would be seen to fail his first major test as a Presidential nominee, i.e., his selection of a running mate. 

McCain has stated his number one criteria for a running mate is to pick someone who would be capable of being President.  Palin comes nowhere near this qualification.  It is ludicrous to think she does.

McCain would be laughed off the Presidential stage with a Palin pick.

yeah, right up to the point where Palin takes the mike.  get on youtube and watch some of her speeches or interviews or debates.  She is one woman who is in command but in a totally graceful and down to earth manner.  She is intelligent, articulate, focused and hard working.  She makes bold but doable plans and executes them without offending the masses.  

she may be a dark horse of a pick, but in everything she does, she simply excels.  She is the poster child of excellence.  America would fall in love with Sarah Palin, even without the good looks.

Positively spot-on.  And yeah, I make a big deal about how hot she is.  (I have a think for hotties with glasses for some reason.)  But she really is bright.  She has a good sense of humor.  She's also pretty warm and caring from what I have heard.  America would love her.

I have no idea if she has the stuff of a Commander in Chief.  But that's exactly what people have said about Obama.  And they are right.  We really don't know until he takes office.  The upside with Palin is that she would be the number two, as opposed to the number one.

Question -- anything new on Ridge?  Has his stock risen? Dropped?  I still like him the best of all the choices.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 12:05:38 AM »

Seriously...anything new or fresh on Ridge?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies