Were the 2016 Democratic primaries unique in the generation gap?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:17:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Were the 2016 Democratic primaries unique in the generation gap?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Were the 2016 Democratic primaries unique in the generation gap?  (Read 596 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
« edited: April 28, 2018, 12:23:54 PM by darklordoftech »

For all the talk about generations in 1968 and 1972, Nixon won with all age groups in those elections while Humphrey and McGovern won with blacks and Jews of all ages. However, in the 2016 Democratic primaries, as far as I know, voters under a certain age voted for Sanders regardless of race, religion, income, education, job, state, urban vs. rural, etc. while voters over a certain age tended to favor Hillary regalrdless of these same things. Am I correct about this, and are the 2016 Democratic primaries the onpy time this has ever happened?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »

For all the talk about generations in 1968 and 1972, Nixon won with all age groups in those elections while Humphrey and McGovern won with blacks and Jews of all ages. However, in the 2016 Democratic primaries, as far as I know, voters under a certain age voted for Sanders regardless of race, religion, income, education, job, state, urban vs. rural, etc. while voters over a certain age tended to favor Hillary regalrdless of these same things. Am I correct about this, and are the 2016 Democratic primaries the onpy time this has ever happened?
I'll go out on a limb and say the 1972 Dem primary had quite a generation gap, with voters 30 and older favoring Humphrey or Wallace, with younger voters favoring McGovern (though I'm sure educational attainment played a role too). Consider the Wallace-McGovern-Humphrey breakdown in MI on May 16, 1972 (the day after Wallace's attempted assassination):

Statewide: 51-32-17
Wayne: 60-20-20
Oakland: 54-32-14
Macomb: 67-19-14
Washtenaw: 30-61-9

You may be correct in your assertion that the generation gap's cutting across all other factors in the 2016 Dem primary was unique.

In the 1972 GE, voters under 25 voted 49.4-48.8 for McGovern, according to University of Michigan polling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies