Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:08:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75927 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:32 AM »

Hmm, I just read this on the TV morning news when I woke up, because I was at a company dinner all of last evening.

Like others have said, it's a really sad thing that took place there in Arizona and I was really saddened to hear that so many people were dead, including a small child.

Gabby Giffords is one of my favorite Representatives and I hope she can get well again.

As to the killer, I first suspected that he was a fanatic right wing Tea-Party @sshole psychopath and the more I read it seems to be the case, but he could have just been a deluded psycho instead who just hated the government.

If it turns out though that police find on his computer that he read Sarah PAC's targets the situation should be clear and Palin should be prosecuted for helping to conduct a murderous event and thrown in prison. At least if she runs for President now, the Left will have some good arguments to stop this bytch now. And I also hope that centrist or center-left Americans have the courage to stop her, just like Austrians stopped the fanatic Nazi Barbara Rosenkranz in her quest to Presidency last year. Either this, or you'll get another Bush, or even worse ...

Please, don't let facts, as they come in, stand in the way of your prejudice.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:48:49 AM »

Hmm, I just read this on the TV morning news when I woke up, because I was at a company dinner all of last evening.

Like others have said, it's a really sad thing that took place there in Arizona and I was really saddened to hear that so many people were dead, including a small child.

Gabby Giffords is one of my favorite Representatives and I hope she can get well again.

As to the killer, I first suspected that he was a fanatic right wing Tea-Party @sshole psychopath and the more I read it seems to be the case, but he could have just been a deluded psycho instead who just hated the government.

If it turns out though that police find on his computer that he read Sarah PAC's targets the situation should be clear and Palin should be prosecuted for helping to conduct a murderous event and thrown in prison. At least if she runs for President now, the Left will have some good arguments to stop this bytch now. And I also hope that centrist or center-left Americans have the courage to stop her, just like Austrians stopped the fanatic Nazi Barbara Rosenkranz in her quest to Presidency last year. Either this, or you'll get another Bush, or even worse ...

Please, don't let facts, as they come in, stand in the way of your prejudice.

If that's your quote then just say so. I am now old and forget these things.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »

What else can you say that a certain segment of the left needs ... deperately needs ... a pretext of this sort to use state force to silence the Tea Party, even when the situtation does not at all serve the purpose.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »

What else can you say that a certain segment of the left needs ... deperately needs ... a pretext of this sort to use state force to silence the Tea Party, even when the situtation does not at all serve the purpose.

In the left's defense, who has demanded that the Tea Party be silenced by "state force"? I haven't heard anyone even cone close to that.

The Austrian kid mentioned something about using some law, or something, to silence Palin if her blogs were discovered on the shooter's computer.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 10:04:14 AM by Storebought »

In the left's defense, who has demanded that the Tea Party be silenced by "state force"? I haven't heard anyone even cone close to that.

The Austrian kid mentioned something about using some law, or something, to silence Palin if her blogs were discovered on the shooter's computer.

The "Austrian Kid" is part of the American Left?

The sentiment was expressed here by a foreigner, but the idea of banning hate speech, which they presume Palin expounds, certainly exists among the American left. **
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 10:44:54 AM by Storebought »

The "Austrian Kid" is part of the American Left?

The sentiment was expressed here by a foreigner, but the idea of banning hate speech, which they presume Palin expounds, certainly exists among the American left. **

This could be probably used here:

U.S. Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 102 > § 2101 > Riots

Whoever travels in interstate or foreign commerce or uses any facility of interstate or foreign commerce, including, but not limited to, the mail, telegraph, telephone, radio, or television, with intent—

(1) to incite a riot; or
(2) to organize, promote, encourage, participate in, or carry on a riot; or
(3) to commit any act of violence in furtherance of a riot; or
(4) to aid or abet any person in inciting or participating in or carrying on a riot or committing any act of violence in furtherance of a riot;

and who either during the course of any such travel or use or thereafter performs or attempts to perform any other overt act for any purpose specified in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), or (D) of this paragraph— [1]

Shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00002101----000-.html

In Austria it is normal that the Greens file lawsuits all the time regarding "incitement of hatred" when the FPÖ crosses some line ... Wink

It would probably be rejected anyway, but Palin should better watch out in the future what she says and does.

I hardly agree that what Palin tweets can "incite a riot," or encourages non-psychotics to participate in one.

My biggest fear is that the Left will allow make use of the antics of a psychotic to suppress through government (eg. some injunction or executive order) the speech of people who already believe that the left uses government to infringe on their rights of association and expression. The Justice department hacking Palin's tweets, for ex., would undoubtedly instigate popular violence.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »

I hardly agree that what Palin tweets can "incite a riot," or encourages non-psychotics to participate in one.

My biggest fear is that the Left will allow make use of the antics of a psychotic to suppress through government (eg. some injunction or executive order) the speech of people who already believe that the left uses government to infringe on their rights of association and expression. The Justice department hacking Palin's tweets, for ex., would undoubtedly instigate popular violence.

The fact you 'fear' this will happen says a lot about your state of mind.

Which would be? Please, inform me, since I can't seem to figure it out.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »

"In that third year of the Kennedy Presidency a kind of fever lay over Dallas County. Mad things happened. Huge billboards screamed “Impeach Earl Warren.” Jewish stores were smeared with crude swastikas. Fanatical young matrons swayed in public to the chant, “Stevenson’s going to die–his heart will stop, stop, stop and he will burn, burn burn!” Radical Right polemics were distributed in public schools; Kennedy’s name was booed in classrooms; junior executives were required to attend radical seminars. Dallas had become the mecca for medicine-show evangelists of the National Indignation Convention, the Christian Crusaders, the Minutemen, the John Birch and Patrick Henry societies . . .

In Dallas a retired major general flew the American flag upside down in front of his house, and when, on Labor Day of 1963, the Stars and Stripes were hoisted right side up outside his own home by County Treasurer Warren G. Harding–named by Democratic parents for a Republican President in an era when all Texas children were taught to respect the Presidency, regardless of party–Harding was accosted by a physician’s son, who remarked bitterly, “That’s the Democrat flag. Why not just run up the hammer and sickle while you’re at it?"

- William Manchester, Death of a President.

You can stop trolling any moment now.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »

"In that third year of the Kennedy Presidency a kind of fever lay over Dallas County. Mad things happened. Huge billboards screamed “Impeach Earl Warren.” Jewish stores were smeared with crude swastikas. Fanatical young matrons swayed in public to the chant, “Stevenson’s going to die–his heart will stop, stop, stop and he will burn, burn burn!” Radical Right polemics were distributed in public schools; Kennedy’s name was booed in classrooms; junior executives were required to attend radical seminars. Dallas had become the mecca for medicine-show evangelists of the National Indignation Convention, the Christian Crusaders, the Minutemen, the John Birch and Patrick Henry societies . . .

In Dallas a retired major general flew the American flag upside down in front of his house, and when, on Labor Day of 1963, the Stars and Stripes were hoisted right side up outside his own home by County Treasurer Warren G. Harding–named by Democratic parents for a Republican President in an era when all Texas children were taught to respect the Presidency, regardless of party–Harding was accosted by a physician’s son, who remarked bitterly, “That’s the Democrat flag. Why not just run up the hammer and sickle while you’re at it?"

- William Manchester, Death of a President.

You can stop trolling any moment now.

The 'trolling' is to deny what is happening.

Associating a political philosophy of your opponents with murder (as you routinely do), in order to stifle their speech, is exactly that.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »

I have to agree with Phil on this one.

I think I will put px on ignore. He can't make a single post without an ad hominem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies