Toronto 2013 by-election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:03:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Toronto 2013 by-election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Toronto 2013 by-election  (Read 2077 times)
DL
Canada

« on: December 15, 2012, 06:30:36 PM »

If Chow wins mayoral job, would NDP nominate her stepson Michael Layton for Trinity-Spadina federal riding? He's city councillor for the ward.

It is certainly possible, but I get the impression Layton Jr. wants to build a career in municipal politics and is only two years into his first term...there would be a gigantic list of big names who live in or near Trinity-Spadina who could be potential NDP candidates. Anyone from David Miller to Adam van Koeverden to Naomi Klein to Sarah Polley to Sarah Harmer to...well let's just say the mind boggles at the possibilities...
DL
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 01:37:13 AM »

If Chow wins mayoral job, would NDP nominate her stepson Michael Layton for Trinity-Spadina federal riding? He's city councillor for the ward.

It is certainly possible, but I get the impression Layton Jr. wants to build a career in municipal politics and is only two years into his first term...there would be a gigantic list of big names who live in or near Trinity-Spadina who could be potential NDP candidates. Anyone from David Miller to Adam van Koeverden to Naomi Klein to Sarah Polley to Sarah Harmer to...well let's just say the mind boggles at the possibilities...

Van Koeverden is an NDPer? Nice.

I don't know for sure if he's NDP, but his picture is on the cover of the calendar Olivia Chow mailed to all constituents and he seems to be friendly with Mike Layton.
DL
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »

Wait, what? Vulgarly insulting an opposing football team makes one a bigot?

Oh, please, we know than the real problem at Laval is than they are speaking French, not English.

I think the problem with Laval was that they were playing against his favourite team.
DL
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:52 AM »

True, but the NDP has also never gone into an election as the official opposition and "government in waiting" so they may start to attract a whole new category of potential star candidates.
DL
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

True, but the NDP has also never gone into an election as the official opposition and "government in waiting" so they may start to attract a whole new category of potential star candidates.

They have in some provinces though. The "best candidates" I can think of are various artists or writers or minor actors. But, I can't think of any athletes.

I just thought of an example. Emery Barnes was longtime NDP member of the BC legislature and was speaker of the house in the 90s. He was born in New Orleans, then played football for the BC Lions before going into politics.
DL
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »

They have in some provinces though. The "best candidates" I can think of are various artists or writers or minor actors. But, I can't think of any athletes.

I just thought of an example. Emery Barnes was longtime NDP member of the BC legislature and was speaker of the house in the 90s. He was born in New Orleans, then played football for the BC Lions before going into politics.

Thanks for that. I was basically challenging everyone to come up with an NDP athlete. I am disappointed that it has only been one, but it's nice to see. Also nice to see an American football player staying in Canada and getting involved in the community. I know most football politicians are Canadian by birth. Of course, there's always those rumours of Pinball Clemons running for mayor of Toronto, but I don't think he's a Canadian citizen.

Let's not forget that at the federal NDP convention in Halifax in 2009 one of the key note speakers was Andrew Ference the defenceman for the Boston Bruins who has spoken out on climate change. He is originally from Edmonton so maybe when he hangs up his skates he can run in an Edmonton riding!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies