Why did Orange County, CA elect some House Democrats in the 1960s-70s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why did Orange County, CA elect some House Democrats in the 1960s-70s?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why did Orange County, CA elect some House Democrats in the 1960s-70s?  (Read 1298 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 12:45:34 PM »

Did the arrival of large numbers of Asians cause the Democratic incumbent on OC to lose in 1978?

Hannaford most because his district was very Republican.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »

Did the arrival of large numbers of Asians cause the Democratic incumbent on OC to lose in 1978?

Yeah but did Cold War-driven Asian GOP voters tip the scale significantly in 1978 and later years?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 12:47:02 PM »

Hannaford represented the OC North Coast in the 1970s. Who was OC’s North Coast Democrat in the 1960s?

There wasn’t one.  Hannaford was the first Dem to represent that area.
Was Hanna the only OC Democrat before Hannaford?

I believe so.
What parts of LA County and OC (other than Anaheim) were in Hanna's district? Patterson's district (old CA-38) is now CA-46.

Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Westminster, Cypress, Buena Park, Lakewood (LA county), and the West side of Santa Ana.
So Hanna represented the North Coast too?
This map is not detailed enough. 25 and 32 seem to be either inland OC or and/or Long Beach districts. Were the LA/OC districts 25 and 32 both represented by Republicans?

Hanna represented the North Coast until the 1968 redraw.  25 was held by a Dem for two terms until he lost in 1966.  I don’t think that district included any of OC (included El Monte and West Covina).  32 was never held by a Dem.
Where were 25/32 located? It seems 25/32 were GOP (Wiggins and Hosmer). Who was Inland? Who was Long Beach?

I was looking at it pre-1968 redraw.  After the redraw, 25 picked up Yorba Linda in OC, which was held by Wiggins (he defeated a Dem in 66 pre redraw).  32 had Long Beach and was held by Hosmer.  Inland was Hanna and Wiggins.
Inland was Wiggins. Long Beach was Hosmer. In San Diego, did Lionel Van Deerlin (D) represent South County?

Yep. VanDeerlin represented all of the Mexico border (37).
Was the Hispanic vote a major factor in electing Patterson and Van Deerlin (their districts are now represented by Correa and Vargas)?

I would think that it was a factor given that both districts included most of the Hispanic voters in each county.
What were Hanna, Patterson, Hannaford, and Van Deerlin like? Average liberals, Berniecrats, or Blue Dogs?

They were all pretty middle of the road.
The answer is average liberal. Wiggins was a staunch Nixon supporter. What was Hosmer like?

Hosmer voted against the 1965 Civil Rights Act but for the other ones.  Probably conservative.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »

Yeah but did Cold War-driven Asian GOP voters tip the scale significantly in 1978 and later years?

I don’t think that is what tipped the scale.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 12:50:17 PM »

Hannaford represented the OC North Coast in the 1970s. Who was OC’s North Coast Democrat in the 1960s?

I believe so.
What parts of LA County and OC (other than Anaheim) were in Hanna's district? Patterson's district (old CA-38) is now CA-46.

Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Westminster, Cypress, Buena Park, Lakewood (LA county), and the West side of Santa Ana.
This map is not detailed enough. 25 and 32 seem to be either inland OC or and/or Long Beach districts. Were the LA/OC districts 25 and 32 both represented by Republicans?

Hanna represented the North Coast until the 1968 redraw.  25 was held by a Dem for two terms until he lost in 1966.  I don’t think that district included any of OC (included El Monte and West Covina).  32 was never held by a Dem.
Where were 25/32 located? It seems 25/32 were GOP (Wiggins and Hosmer). Who was Inland? Who was Long Beach?

I was looking at it pre-1968 redraw.  After the redraw, 25 picked up Yorba Linda in OC, which was held by Wiggins (he defeated a Dem in 66 pre redraw).  32 had Long Beach and was held by Hosmer.  Inland was Hanna and Wiggins.
Inland was Wiggins. Long Beach was Hosmer. In San Diego, did Lionel Van Deerlin (D) represent South County?

Was the Hispanic vote a major factor in electing Patterson and Van Deerlin (their districts are now represented by Correa and Vargas)?

I would think that it was a factor given that both districts included most of the Hispanic voters in each county.
What were Hanna, Patterson, Hannaford, and Van Deerlin like? Average liberals, Berniecrats, or Blue Dogs?

The answer is average liberal. Wiggins was a staunch Nixon supporter. What was Hosmer like?

Hosmer voted against the 1965 Civil Rights Act but for the other ones.  Probably conservative.
Was he a run of the mill conservative, or a Tea Party firebrand like Schmitz and Dornan?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »

I believe so.

Was he a run of the mill conservative, or a Tea Party firebrand like Schmitz and Dornan?

More run of the mill I’d say.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »

is it true that the defeat of Bob Dornan in 1996 was probably the biggest political earthquake in OC political history, and among the most significant elections as well due to what it portended for future decades?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 12:53:47 PM »

I believe so.

That makes sense, Hosmer represented Long Beach. Was Wiggins run of the mill or Tea Party?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2020, 01:07:07 PM »

I believe so.

That makes sense, Hosmer represented Long Beach. Was Wiggins run of the mill or Tea Party?

Wiggins was probably similar to Hosmer.  Wiggins dropped his support for Nixon after the smoking gun tape.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 01:09:44 PM »

I believe so.

Wiggins was probably similar to Hosmer.  Wiggins dropped his support for Nixon after the smoking gun tape.
Was Loretta Sanchez (who later held Patterson's seat) a centrist New Dem, mainstream progressive, or Berniecrat?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »

I believe so.

Was Loretta Sanchez (who later held Patterson's seat) a centrist New Dem, mainstream progressive, or Berniecrat?

New Dem.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2020, 01:29:14 PM »

Why did Loretta Sanchez do better in Garden Grove (her best OC city) in the 2016 Senate race, than in the more heavily Hispanic Santa Ana?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2020, 11:34:59 PM »

There wasn’t one.  Hannaford was the first Dem to represent that area.

I believe so.

Hanna represented the North Coast until the 1968 redraw.  25 was held by a Dem for two terms until he lost in 1966.  I don’t think that district included any of OC (included El Monte and West Covina).  32 was never held by a Dem.

I was looking at it pre-1968 redraw.  After the redraw, 25 picked up Yorba Linda in OC, which was held by Wiggins (he defeated a Dem in 66 pre redraw).  32 had Long Beach and was held by Hosmer.  Inland was Hanna and Wiggins.

Hosmer voted against the 1965 Civil Rights Act but for the other ones.  Probably conservative.

New Dem.
I thought she was a Blue Dog, and her sister Linda was the New Dem.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2020, 08:19:34 AM »

There wasn’t one.  Hannaford was the first Dem to represent that area.

I believe so.

Hanna represented the North Coast until the 1968 redraw.  25 was held by a Dem for two terms until he lost in 1966.  I don’t think that district included any of OC (included El Monte and West Covina).  32 was never held by a Dem.

I was looking at it pre-1968 redraw.  After the redraw, 25 picked up Yorba Linda in OC, which was held by Wiggins (he defeated a Dem in 66 pre redraw).  32 had Long Beach and was held by Hosmer.  Inland was Hanna and Wiggins.

Hosmer voted against the 1965 Civil Rights Act but for the other ones.  Probably conservative.

New Dem.
I thought she was a Blue Dog, and her sister Linda was the New Dem.
She voted like a New Dem. Which areas did Hanna represent after the 1968 redraw?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2020, 09:26:40 AM »

That was an era of huge Dem landslides in the House.  I don't think it should be too surprising that they held some seats in otherwise unfavorable territory during that time?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »

What was Hanna’s district after 1968 (without the North Coast, before Patterson)?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 10:28:23 AM »

What was Hanna’s district after 1968 (without the North Coast, before Patterson)?

Basically the same as before but without the North Coast.  The district was overpopulated (pre Baker v Carr) when it included the North Coast.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2020, 11:27:10 AM »

Basically the same as before but without the North Coast.  The district was overpopulated (pre Baker v Carr) when it included the North Coast.
Wasn’t the decision invalidating malapportioned districts Wesberry v. Sanders?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »

is it true that the defeat of Bob Dornan in 1996 was probably the biggest political earthquake in OC political history, and among the most significant elections as well due to what it portended for future decades?

I was 20 at the time and the significance was that Dornan was such an outspoken and "colorful" conservative and that the Hispanic community was starting to organize after the catastrophe of 1994 and Prop 187. So it was an earthquake, but it was more about Hispanic backlash across the state and Dornan's unique flaws than about Orange County as a whole. This district was different from the rest of the county even then, it just hadn't started voting that way.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »

May have been that one.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2020, 01:00:06 PM »

May have been that one.
Wesberry v. Sanders.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies