Is Paul Ryan a closet atheist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:53:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is Paul Ryan a closet atheist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Paul Ryan a closet atheist?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Is Paul Ryan a closet atheist?  (Read 4978 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:00:13 AM »

From an IRC discussion which moved to the forum.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:56 AM »

Paul Ryan worships the dollar.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:02:03 AM »

I voted No; he very well may be as may most anybody claiming to have a particular set of beliefs but you can't just decide that he is based upon his admittedly nonsensical claimed political philosophy.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 02:05:15 AM »

Yes, and Mitt Romney starts every morning with an Irish coffee.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 02:06:08 AM »

I fail to see how anyone could admire Ayn Rand and not be, so as I stated once last night the GOP ticket now likely has two non-Christians on it. Rand was more than someone who just didn't believe in God, she was a full on frothing at the mouth Hitchens/Dawkins style atheist. She also said that Christianity was no better than communism.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:07:23 AM »

I fail to see how anyone could admire Ayn Rand and not be, so as I stated once last night the GOP ticket now likely has two non-Christians on it. Rand was more than someone who just didn't believe in God, she was a full on frothing at the mouth Hitchens/Dawkins style atheist.

I wonder how many people think that Biden is the only Christian on either ticket.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »

I fail to see how anyone could admire Ayn Rand and not be, so as I stated once last night the GOP ticket now likely has two non-Christians on it. Rand was more than someone who just didn't believe in God, she was a full on frothing at the mouth Hitchens/Dawkins style atheist.

I wonder how many people think that Biden is the only Christian on either ticket.

I feel that Romney and Biden are Christians, Obama is a closet agnostic, and Ryan is a closet atheist.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 02:54:50 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 02:56:23 AM by realisticidealist »

Biden's a Catholic, so he might not be a Christian to someone too. Wait that would mean that THERE ARE NO CHRISTIANS ON EITHER TICKET GUYS. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO AMERICA? WE MIGHT AS WELL MAKE SATANISM OUR OFFICIAL RELIGION.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 03:26:44 AM »

I've known Republicans who love Rand for her political views but compartmentalize the anti-religious part because it's unthinkable for them to lose their religious identity. We always talk about liberal Catholics who don't agree with the church's point of view on gays or birth control but who identify strongly with the faith. Why not a conservative who disagrees on the social justice angle and doesn't buy into Rand's dismissal of religion? It's just a different set of dishes from two cafeterias.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:39:33 AM »

I'm not even sure if the term makes that much sense, but does it even matter? Besides, Brittain is correct. On the other side of the line, think of the stereotypical Liverpool Irish docker of about fifty years ago with a crucifix hanging next to a picture of Karl Marx.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »

No. He attends some church in Milwaukee.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »

I've known Republicans who love Rand for her political views but compartmentalize the anti-religious part because it's unthinkable for them to lose their religious identity. We always talk about liberal Catholics who don't agree with the church's point of view on gays or birth control but who identify strongly with the faith. Why not a conservative who disagrees on the social justice angle and doesn't buy into Rand's dismissal of religion? It's just a different set of dishes from two cafeterias.

A cafeteria Athiest? Wink + Tongue
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »

.... Ryans A CATHOLIC 
milhouse24
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

Well, Ayn Rand was ethnically Jewish, and despised Christianity (which may have been a more common point of view from Jewish people back then).  So she would have been skeptical of any organized religion that wasn't based on ethnicity, and thought people who chose their religion were foolish to practice such beliefs.  She may have saw herself as an outsider in a predominately Christian world.  That would lead to beliefs of individualism and distrust of mass organizations. 

But I do think that Paul Ryan's budget places too much emphasis on free market principles and not enough realistic emphasis that sometimes there are just no jobs for people, or that unique circumstances prevent citizens from rising above poverty.  I would like to see how these austerity policies work at the state level before trying it out at the national level.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

I don't think Ryan is, though I think Obama is agnostic. Nothing wrong with that, either, just pointing out my theory Wink.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »

Who cares? People hold self-contradictory views everywhere.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

No. Is it so incredibly hard to conceive that he admires people, the works, and ideas who are not Catholic?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »

No. Is it so incredibly hard to conceive that he admires people, the works, and ideas who are not Catholic?

But Rand wasn't just someone who didn't believe in God. She was one of those frothing militant atheist types and probably would've got along great with Richard Dawkins.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

Well, Ayn Rand was ethnically Jewish, and despised Christianity (which may have been a more common point of view from Jewish people back then).  So she would have been skeptical of any organized religion that wasn't based on ethnicity, and thought people who chose their religion were foolish to practice such beliefs

If that's true she's an even more revolting human being than I previously thought before. "Ethnic religion" is one of the most disgusting concepts accepted in today's world.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »

I don't think Ryan is, though I think Obama is agnostic. Nothing wrong with that, either, just pointing out my theory Wink.

He is. We have to wait til he is out of office to hear that.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »

Well, Ayn Rand was ethnically Jewish, and despised Christianity (which may have been a more common point of view from Jewish people back then).  So she would have been skeptical of any organized religion that wasn't based on ethnicity, and thought people who chose their religion were foolish to practice such beliefs

If that's true she's an even more revolting human being than I previously thought before. "Ethnic religion" is one of the most disgusting concepts accepted in today's world.

That whole paragraph seems to be 100% supposition by Milhouse, and largely nonsense.
Bluegrassball
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »

If his "intellect" is all that some are making it out to be then it is likely that he is but continues to go to church for political reasons much like Clinton.

Obama is probably an atheist too but doesn't feel the need to cover it up as much as Clinton did.

W on the other hand was full on batsh**t for Jesus.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 04:46:32 PM »

Is Joe Biden a closet druid?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »

Actually, Rand hated ethnicity-based solidarity even more than organized religion because not only did it subvert the individual will to that of the group, it did so based on something people did not actively choose (we don't choose our race or ethnicity). She despised racism for the same reason.

Christianity and Objectivism are inherently incompatible. Christianity is essentially based on a guy who sacrificed his own life to save humanity. Self-sacrifice is the antithesis of everything Objectivism stands for. So if there are any self-proclaimed Christian Randians out there, I'd love to know how you get out of that philosophical cul-de-sac.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »

If his "intellect" is all that some are making it out to be then it is likely that he is but continues to go to church for political reasons much like Clinton.

Obama is probably an atheist too but doesn't feel the need to cover it up as much as Clinton did.

W on the other hand was full on batsh**t for Jesus.

...what?

Without using terms from weird Continental sub-forms of otherwise anodyne social science disciplines it's hard to describe the problems with a post that has so few touchstones in the reality that most people experience.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies