NFL 2011 Season Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:54:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  NFL 2011 Season Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NFL 2011 Season Discussion  (Read 47930 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: September 25, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »

It's been a pretty good day so far for professional football.  The Bills finally got the monkey off their back and beat the arrogant, prideful Patriots.  The Lions also won in Minny for the first time in 13 tries.  Unfortunately, Houston couldn't pull it off, but I think Houston will still be a good team this year.  The Eagles have landed with a broken wing (literally, a broken hand). The Giants will be better than I thought even with their boat load of injuries.

Tonight's game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis initially looked like an awesome matchup, but now I bet the NBC execs are rethinking their decision to put this game in primetime, same with ESPN for week 4 (Indy is on MNF next week).  Pittsburgh should sleep walk through tonight's game.

Tomorrow night's NFC East collision should prove to be a good game.  A resurgent, and somewhat suprising, Washington Redskin team facing the Dallas Cowboys that narrowly avoided going 0-2 with a gutsy, pain-filled performance by Tony Romo.  Tony Romo should play, but I would still be very comfortable with Jon Kitna, who is quite possibly one of the better backups in the league.  I think it will be very close, and it won't be an upset either way.  I've got to go with my Cowboys, though.

As for today's late games, I'm watching what hopefully will be a better performance by Chicago against Green Bay than what the Bears have put up the first two weeks.  The Jets and Raiders should go toe-to-toe the rest of the way today.  Baltimore is shutting out St Louis 21-0 start of the 2nd quarter.  San Diego only has a 7-0 lead over Kansas City with 5:00 left in the half.  The other games, Atlanta/Tampa Bay and Arizona/Seattle are yawners right now early in the 2nd quarter in both field-goal games.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »

RIP 2011-2012 Eagles.

My fellow birds fans should have seen it coming.

Good news for Cowboys fans! Now, the question is, can Dallas capitalize on it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »

BushOK really is the worst type of NFL fan . . . not like thats a surprise.

Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »

Note how Bushie slyly tries to turn an NFL discussion into an update thread.

4.5 stars out of 5.

I demand a recount. I should have gotten all 5 stars. Cry
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »

ugh These injuries are really piling up for my guys in NE: Bodden, Haynesworth, Dowling, Hernandez, and Vollmer definitely out.

Vollmer isn't a huge loss since Nate Solder has played well in RT. Hernandez gives the passing game a different dimension and is probably the best receiver (despite being a TE) on the team so that hurts but there are tons of other weapons. I was hoping Fat Albert would be able to play this week to help stop McFadden but I'd rather have him healthy for next week at home against NYJ.

Bodden and Dowling out really hurts. The secondary needs all the help it can get. Prepare to see Jason Campbell look like an all-pro tomorrow.

Go Raiders!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »

I'm still reeling, disappointed, but not really suprised at today's events in the city about 3 1/2 hours to my south.  (That would be Arlington, Texas, FWIW).  I didn't watch much of the game, thankfully, as I will still involved with church for the majority of the early afternoon.  I did watch Dallas get held to just a field goal at the end of the 3rd quarter and Detroit take it down the field early in the 4th quarter and turned it off giving Dallas up for dead.

I'm about to start joining the chorus, the choir I've been abstaining from for such a long time, and have to ask the question - "Who's the next best quarterback after Andrew Luck?"  I love Romo, and I still believe in him, but when he single-handedly chokes away a 24 point lead in the final 25 minutes of play, that makes me seriously question his abilities.  I do have to give credit to the Lions' Defense, though, for not giving up at halftime the past two weeks.  They could very easily be 2-2 right now themselves.

By no means is Dallas's season over as they are still 2-2 and still not the cellar dwellers right now thanks to Philadelphia also choking away a decent lead they should have held.  Dallas is 1-0 in the divison, having beat Washington in Week 3.  We just have to play 60 minutes, not 30 or 35 minutes.  Thankfully, we have a bye week coming up to give us time to recuperate from these injuries that occurred in the first couple weeks of the season before we head up to Foxborough in two weeks to face the Patriots.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »

King, while I am very disappointed at the Cowboys' meltdown yesterday, I don't believe their season is over.  They do need to run the ball more, get Felix Jones involved more, and as I said earlier, they need to learn something very fundamental and very basic.  A professional football game lasts 60 minutes divided into 4 fifteen minute quarters, not 30 or 40 minutes divided however they wish.

It doesn't get any easier after the Week 5 bye as the Patriots await.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:35 AM »

With the Buccaneers win last night, I managed to salvage an 8-8 week in Pick 'Em and improved to 4-0 in Pick a Winner!  The fly in the ointment is I am 1-3 in Fantasy Football. Sad
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »

Is it me, or have super bowl commericials gotten progressively suckier since the mid 90s?

You're not alone, despite getting more expensive.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 04:59:14 AM »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the day games tomorrow, I'll only be able to catch the first half of the evening games.  However, I do subscribe to NFL Rewind, so I can watch any game whenever I want after it airs, so I can spend a lot of time Tuesday night, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday watching the games.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »

In my pick 'em this week, I've got a couple pretty suprising upsets.  One is the Buccaneers over the Saints, another is the Panthers over the Falcons, and a third is the Cowboys over the Patriots.

My reasoning behind these three upsets are as follows:

The Saints has trouble with Carolina last week and Tampa Bay is a better team than Carolina.  The game is in Florida, and I think Drew Brees and Co. will suffer their second loss of the season.

The Panthers are an improved team this year behind Cam Newton, and the Falcons are not the same team that won the NFC South in 2010.

With the Cowboys over the Patriots.  If the good Tony Romo shows up (i.e. Redskins and 49ers Romo) and with Miles Austin returning, they should be able to light up the weak pass rush of the Patriots.  It will be a shootout if that happens.  If the bad Tony Romo shows up (I.e. Jets and Lions), then it could get real ugly real quick.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »

Now, if the 'Boys can follow suit, I'll be a happy camper.  It is entirely possible despite the pundits.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

Now, if the 'Boys can follow suit, I'll be a happy camper.  It is entirely possible despite the pundits.

Never mind, I take that back.  2-3 here we come!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »

Rex reverted back to, well, Rex!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »

BREAKING NEWS:  TONY ROMO DID NOT CHOKE AWAY A HUGE LEAD!!!!! Granted it was the Rams, but Dallas has a habit of playing to the level of their opponents and we all know what Tony Romo is capable of.  It was just one game and I didn't get to watch the game except pleasantly finding out the 34-7 finale, but if DeMarco Murray can run like that each week, he will (1) alleviate the pressure off Tony Romo and Miles Austin/Jason Witten and (2) Quickly surplant Felix Jones as the primary starter.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »

Lots of Eagles getting healthy. Hopefully the coaches are too.

Hopefully, you come out of Week 8 with a record of 2-5, giving Dallas a record of 4-3!!  I feel confident that my 'Boys will take care of the Canaries Sunday Night.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »

Lots of Eagles getting healthy. Hopefully the coaches are too.
Hopefully, you come out of Week 8 with a record of 2-5, giving Dallas a record of 4-3!!  I feel confident that my 'Boys will take care of the Canaries Sunday Night.

Don't count on it. Grin

Andy Reid era scores in the game after the bye week:
PHI 38 - STL 31
PHI 16 - CIN 7
PHI 10 - NYG 9
PHI 20 - TB 10
PHI 23 - BUF 13
PHI 30 - CAR 8
PHI 20 - SD 17
PHI 27 - WAS 3
PHI 16 - NYJ 9
PHI 27 - ATL 14
PHI 33 - TB 14
PHI 26 - IND 24

12-0

We shall see. Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »

Some interesting scores so far but it seems every thing is working out how it should.

Tell that to the folks in New Orleans.  They were supposed to have the closest thing to a bye week at St Louis, and they find themselves trailing 31-14 with under 3 minutes to go.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »

Some interesting scores so far but it seems every thing is working out how it should.

Tell that to the folks in New Orleans.  They were supposed to have the closest thing to a bye week at St Louis, and they find themselves trailing 31-14 with under 3 minutes to go.

Confirmed 31-21 Rams win.  This makes two head-scratching losses the Saints have had the past 3 weeks.  It makes me wonder if they are a team with different personas?  These losses almost make last week's blowout of the Colts a fluke, or it makes the Colts look really disgusting.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »

Hilarious game on NBC right now. Thanks, Dallas!

That game was an absolute embarrassment.  I'm so glad I didn't watch it.  I do have to give props to the Eagles, though, they came to play and Dallas didn't even show up.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »

Nice win by the Kansas City Chiefs!!  You've got to feel bad for Philip Rivers.  He had the game in the bag, but a bad snap cost them the game, in effect.  The Chiefs offense couldn't do anything for at least 2 full quarters of the game, but they somehow pulled through and into a 3-way tie for 1st place in the AFC West.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »

I didn't feel bad for Rivers, I bet on the Chiefs, both at +3 and outright, and now find myself at +123% of my gambling account balance from Week 1

I didn't have anything riding on the game other than my pick for the Chiefs in our Pick 'Em, and I imagine as a quarterback, he's going to be haunted by that play for the next 10-15 years or more.  He'll never be able to get that play out of his head.  This loss is not on Norv Turner, it's on Philip Rivers.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »

This was a good day for football.  Some pretty good games this afternoon.  Patriots went down, Packers and Chargers had no defense.  What are your thoughts on the first 12 games of Week 9?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »

Will this be the year Norv gets the door?

One would hope. He's worse than Shanahan at riding the talent of his players. At least Shanahan won some things. Norv is so bad he can't even take a #1 ranked offense WITH a #1 ranked defense to the playoffs.

He's the only coach who can have several failing years and never be on the hot seat.  Based on that, he'll stay.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 11:28:40 AM »

Looks like DeSean was playing for his own Dream Team this morning, the little twat. Figures...of all people to "sleep in" and miss a meeting it's the Rosenhaus diva. I see it as a win-win. He doesn't have to risk his precious body for a team he doesn't care about and we get to try out Cooper and Smith to work out his replacement. Time for someone to hide Asante's alarm clock so we can move Rodgers-Cromartie outside.

Do you think DJ will be traded or cut in the offseason?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies