Is Christianity's stance on gay marriage costing churches followers? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:09:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Christianity's stance on gay marriage costing churches followers? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Christianity's stance on gay marriage costing churches followers?  (Read 4161 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: May 17, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »

Short answer is yes and since there is no solid NT evidence that Jesus (not Paul) disliked gays in any way, it would be sensible to abandon the anti-gay elements in church doctrine ASAP.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »

My assumption is that 'the Gospel I preach' is referring to the general set, there, rather than anything specific to Paul, but you're right that that's certainly not as clear as I'd thought. I hadn't considered that interpretation before. Thank you.

Anyway, Mikado's right that even though there can certainly be different types or levels of reading or interpretation deployed for different things we can't just write off Paul for the crime of not actually being Jesus. Saying 'it's Paul, it doesn't count' is intellectually lazy. There are any number of much more nuanced and interesting attitudes to take to the Epistles.
Well, given the stuff Paul says about women and gays, I have a hard time reconciling those passages with the overall message of Christ. "Paul doesn't count" is the position of many Scandinavian Lutherans today, but maybe we are lazy... I prefer to stick to what Christ actually said in the flesh. That is the core of the Christian message, which also makes for a significantly more tolerant religion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies