Should the government help teenagers get jobs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:45:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the government help teenagers get jobs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should the government help teenagers get jobs?  (Read 514 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
« edited: November 29, 2017, 04:35:08 PM by darklordoftech »

Should the government help teenagers get jobs? Ways they could do this include making it harder for parents to sue employers and to forbid schools from limiting the working hours of their students.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 04:30:07 PM »

I don't support child labor, no.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:44 PM »

Should the government help teenagers get jobs? Ways they could do this include making it harder for parents to sue employers and to forbid schools from limiting the working hours of their students.
School's more important than work until you're out of college. It's unhealthy to go to school from 8 to 3 and then work from then to 9.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »

School's more important than work until you're out of college. It's unhealthy to go to school from 8 to 3 and then work from then to 9.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »

that would depend on the individual wouldn't it?  You can't possibly think that is universally true can you?  This goes for either point you made.
Maverick J-Mac
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »

I could see certain things for the summer like recycling jobs.  Schools could allow students to help out with things too.  As for the private sector, teenagers are doing this at slower rates because they've been taught they're entitled to free stuff.  If there's any place I'd look to for help on motivating teenagers to get off their ass, it certainly isn't the government.  How about the job corps though?
Maverick J-Mac
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »

What about child laziness?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »

I could see certain things for the summer like recycling jobs.  Schools could allow students to help out with things too.  As for the private sector, teenagers are doing this at slower rates because they've been taught they're entitled to free stuff.  If there's any place I'd look to for help on motivating teenagers to get off their ass, it certainly isn't the government.  How about the job corps though?
job corps often sucks.  Remember how judges use to tell young criminals "jail or the Army", now they tell them "jail or Job Corps".   Thus it's 3/4s full of criminals with the remainder being victims of a sh**tty family life, who actually could use the program, but really they are just there for the criminals to pray on.
Maverick J-Mac
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 06:32:20 PM »

job corps often sucks.  Remember how judges use to tell young criminals "jail or the Army", now they tell them "jail or Job Corps".   Thus it's 3/4s full of criminals with the remainder being victims of a sh**tty family life, who actually could use the program, but really they are just there for the criminals to pray on.

Do you support the government helping teens get jobs?  For example, I could support a recycling program like the one I mentioned.  As for the job corps, you hit the nail on the head.  From my experience, I've never known anyone from a decent background in the program.  Having said that I'm sure there's good people too.  I don't mean to be prejudice about a program, but the ones I've met who went to the job corps were career criminals before the age of 18.  No offense to anyone. 
Maverick J-Mac
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »

Wouldn't you say it's a good thing we have labor laws regarding minors then?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »

At least from my experience (and this is purely anecdotal), most teenagers don't have jobs not because they are lazier, but because they are tied up with harder classes and under more pressure than previous generations, with all of the tests (AP/SAT, etc.), projects, and college. I might be wrong about this, however.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »

Only if at least 18.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length