If Romney loses the general.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:20:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Romney loses the general.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Romney loses the general....  (Read 1458 times)
Bull Moose Base

« on: November 13, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »

I do wonder how many Democrats consider Kerry's 2004 loss worth it for paving the way for Obama, or at least felt that way right after Obama was elected.  Not just because Obama was more exciting to the Democratic base but if Kerry won in 2004, would he have lost to the Republican in 2008?  Not that it affected people's votes or anyone thought about that in 2004.  But if Romney is nominated, I don't think it's that unlikely some rabble-rouser like Eric Erickson or even disgruntled intelligentsia like George Will might openly question if conservatives' better bet isn't Obama being re-elected.  

And, while no one in the party would admit it, I assume those Republicans who harbor presidential aspirations and aren't tapped to be Romney's running mate would have mixed feelings about Romney winning (if not fully hoping he loses).  For example, if Jeb Bush still aspires to be president, (I'll assume he does) how's he going to feel about a Romney-Rubio ticket winning in 2012?  Let's not pretend the majority of politicians are public servants and true believers devoid of ambition.  Again, no one's going to admit it or withhold an endorsement of Romney.  But they might say things that are indirectly unhelpful to Romney and hence self-serving.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »

Were that to happen, that would mean it's Gingrich's turn.   

Get ready for the Age Of The Newt, 2016-2024.

Nah, the GOP's done with septugenarians. This is Newt's last shot. He'd be overshadowed by pretty much every potential candidate and be considered a relic of another era.
Were that to happen, that would mean it's Gingrich's turn.   

Get ready for the Age Of The Newt, 2016-2024.

It's now or never for Newt. Unless it was a pretty close race, he kept it clean with Mitt and his approvals after the campaign were Huckabee or higher levels as well as knowing he'd raise $25 million in Q1 of 2015.

Amazed to say it, but I find myself disagreeing.  I agree it depends to some extent whether he loses in some damaging way or spectacular failure, but even without Huckabee popularity, if Newt is the runner-up, wins some states and just starts falling away and drops out like McCain in 2000 and Romney in 2008, then I think he miraculously finds himself in what would be a small cluster of frontrunners for 2016 (that would also include whoever was Romney's running mate, Jeb Bush, Huckabee, and perhaps Chris Christie or Marco Rubio even if they're not the running mates.)  Newt's age would be a non-factor not only because of GOP precedent but also because the Democrats are also somewhat likely to have an older nominee in Biden or Clinton.  I guess if Romney loses to Obama in such a spectacular fashion that there could be a backlash against the whole next-in-line tradition but I doubt it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies