The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:30:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions]  (Read 11774 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: October 14, 2009, 06:19:58 AM »

I have a certain soft spot for the 'free move.' It allows people who are new to the game to get more used to it and move to a region they more appreciate. We should still retain some newbie-friendliness.

Unfortunately it also has the potential for great abuse, which is why I'm conflicted. However, if people are going to vote stack, I'd imagine they'd do it in the initial registration, and not necessarily in the free move.
It depends on whether someone is recruited for asshattery from outside the forum, or right after he registers. Either is perfectly rational and has happened in the past.

There is currently no such thing as a legally defined thing called a "free move" though, and absolutely no argument for creating it. If you want to stop people from moving between the 8th and 180th day after registering as well as within 180 after moving, it would be wise to write an amendment that simply says so.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:08:35 PM »

I'll say it once more, a bit clearer this time: The Senate ought not to include the weird phrase "free move" in the Constitutional text under any circumstances.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »

There is currently no such thing as a legally defined thing called a "free move" though, and absolutely no argument for creating it. If you want to stop people from moving between the 8th and 180th day after registering as well as within 180 after moving, it would be wise to write an amendment that simply says so.

E.G.:

[quote]The Strategic Registration Amendment

Article V, Section 2, Clause 7 is hereby amended to read: "Persons may only change their State of registration once every 180 days.
Citizens may not change their State of registration between the 8th and 180th day after registering to vote."

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:51:59 AM »

I don't accept that the so-called "free move" actually exists at all at present, nor that there exists a legal basis for it. It is a matter for the SoFA to enforce the legal reality and a matter for legal challenge if this is not done.
I disagree. The rule is that people may change their state of registration ("move") once every so and so often. An original registration is not a "move". The current interpretation is correct. It's only the misconception that this represents a "free move" that is throwing things off.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Absolutely.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies