Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:24:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Author Topic: Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget  (Read 37440 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2019, 10:46:49 PM »

WGN says Daley wasn't in top 3 among black voters and didn't lead Hispanic or white voters. That's the ball game.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2019, 10:52:13 PM »

Race called for LaSpata over Moreno. Huge shocker.

Theme of the night: most wards are moving away from the machine, while a few strongholds are actually more so gravitating toward it
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »

WGN says Daley wasn't in top 3 among black voters and didn't lead Hispanic or white voters. That's the ball game.
Yeah WGN said Lightfoot and Daley were running even with white voters, which is shocking.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2019, 10:58:20 PM »

Yeah WGN said Lightfoot and Daley were running even with white voters, which is shocking.

Not to me. White progressives don't like Daley. They really, really like Lightfoot.

I am one Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2019, 10:58:32 PM »

Exactly what Change Research said!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2019, 11:14:05 PM »

Preckwinkle speaking now and already hitting Lightfoot hard. This is why she is so good at what she does.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2019, 11:18:16 PM »

And hitting Rahm hard! Getting her revenge, I suppose. They always hated one another.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2019, 11:29:03 PM »

Wanted Wilson, ugh. Can't always get what we want, can we.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2019, 11:34:57 PM »

City just now releasing the ward results. Lightfoot dominated the north side. Preckwinkle won the nearer south side but Wilson actually won the far south side. Mendoza won most Hispanic areas (telling me low turnout). Daley won the far NW side and downtown.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2019, 11:40:23 PM »

Tribune has the map: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/elections/ct-met-viz-chicago-mayor-election-results-htmlstory.html
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »

Wanted Wilson, ugh. Can't always get what we want, can we.
Me too bud, me too.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:46 AM »

WTF!!!??? I thought Mendoza was a shoe-in, against either Preckwinkle or Daley. What happened, and where did Lightfoot come from?
BundouYMB

« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2019, 12:32:00 AM »

WTF!!!??? I thought Mendoza was a shoe-in, against either Preckwinkle or Daley. What happened, and where did Lightfoot come from?

The top candidates were too effective in nuking each other. Lightfoot never got attacked and had broad appeal to many different demographics.

Unfortunately, Mendoza's campaign was not good at all. Her campaign was light on substance and she focused on attacking Preckwinkle and only switched strategies a week or so before the election, when her campaign was obviously in free fall.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2019, 12:43:30 AM »

Just got back and... HOLY F[inks] LIGHTFOOT WINNING A PLURALITY WITH PRECKWINKLE IN 2ND? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2019, 12:54:09 AM »

why would you think this
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2019, 12:55:05 AM »

why would you think this

This is Blairite you’re talking to.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2019, 12:55:53 AM »

why would you think this
She's important, had backing, and a lot of media?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #292 on: February 27, 2019, 01:00:20 AM »

why would you think this
She's important,
That’s subjective.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So did...most of the other major candidates?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Granted, I haven’t been paying too close attention to this race, but was it really that much more than any of the other candidates?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2019, 01:35:57 AM »

why would you think this
She's important, had backing, and a lot of media?
evidently not.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »

Yes! No more Daley!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2019, 06:46:54 AM »

I had this creepy dream of Daley and Meldoza going to the runoff
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »

The top candidates were too effective in nuking each other. Lightfoot never got attacked and had broad appeal to many different demographics.

Unfortunately, Mendoza's campaign was not good at all. Her campaign was light on substance and she focused on attacking Preckwinkle and only switched strategies a week or so before the election, when her campaign was obviously in free fall.

It had more to do with the Burke scandal playing out in the middle of the cycle, imo. The Sun Times endorsement gave her legitimacy, and then she entered the airwaves with a great ad essentially saying "all the candidates leading the polls are friends with Ed Burke, but I am not." North side reformists jumped all over it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2019, 10:35:33 AM by muon2 »

As Mr. Illini has said earlier the neighborhoods split tremendously in this election. Here's the Tribune map of winners by ward.

Lightfoot carried the progressives on the northern Lakefront, and she was second to Daley in the wealthy Loop, Gold Coast and white ethnic wards. Lightfoot was also second to Preckwinkle along the South Shore and Hyde Park.

Preckwinkle carried the wards of her traditional base in the Near South, South Shore and Hyde Park, and she was second to Wilson throughout the black wards. Preckwinkle also took second to Lightfoot on the Lakefront.

The Latinx wards were split by Mendoza and Chico with Daley in third. Joyce carried the machine wards on the Southwest Side. Neither Lightfoot nor Preckwinkle performed particularly well here. These wards will probably be critical in determining the next mayor in the runoff.

An additional thought: Joyce won the wards that I would have expected to go for Daley. My guess is that without Joyce in the race, Daley would have picked up a good chunk of those votes, and probably would have made the runoff. Then again, those Joyce wards are loaded with police, firefighters and other city workers. They may have felt Daley would be too beholden to business and not enough to their interests, and needed to park their votes somewhere - that happened to be Joyce.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »

An additional thought: Joyce won the wards that I would have expected to go for Daley. My guess is that without Joyce in the race, Daley would have picked up a good chunk of those votes, and probably would have made the runoff. Then again, those Joyce wards are loaded with police, firefighters and other city workers. They may have felt Daley would be too beholden to business and not enough to their interests, and needed to park their votes somewhere - that happened to be Joyce.

the quip I saw was "Joyce's platform was 'hands off pensions' and Daley's platform was 'I am going to put my hands on your pensions'"
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »

Who is the early favorite to win the Runoff in less than 2 months ?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies