The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:43:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Poll
Question: So, to mix things up a little, I've been thinking about changing the network for the election updates every month. Which one should I do for February?
CNN
FOX News
ABC
CBS
Just stick with NBC.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 36014 times)
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« on: January 19, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »

The 2020 campaign cycle begins in earnest with nine Democrats, seven Republicans, and an independent vying for the top job. On the Democratic side, Georgia Governor Stacey Abrams holds a significant, but far from insurmountable, lead, partly due to the dropping out of former President Obama, who was widely expected to run for a second non-consecutive term. On the Republican front, Vice President Paul Ryan leads the pack, but it would be foolhardy to call him untouchable at this point. Also running is MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, who has rejected the idea of running for a party's nomination in favor of an independent campaign. With that, the phrase of the day seems to be this: Game on!

CNN/SSRS Democratic Primary Poll, 15-18 January 2019
Stacey Abrams - 18%

Beto O'Rourke - 10%
Sherrod Brown - 9%
Celia Curtis - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
John Kerry - 5%
Jay Inslee - 5%
Tulsi Gabbard - 4%
Pete Buttigieg - 3%
Undecided - 33%
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »

Ok, so just so everyone's aware, your first in-game endorsement credits (your polling percentage/5) are available now. Credits will be distributed every Saturday, and you're free to use them or let them accumulate at your leisure. I will keep a running tally of who has how many.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »

Also, quick note for the Republican field: as is standard practice, President Romney will be endorsing the Republican nominee, rather than interfering in the primaries.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Lester Holt and Chuck Todd

Holt: Good evening. I'm Lester Holt.

Todd: And I'm Chuck Todd.

Both: And this is your Election Update.

Holt: And we begin tonight with yet another campaign announcement, and quite a surprising one, too.

Todd: Indeed, Lester. Here it is.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Holt: This declaration coming from MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred and seemingly also from out of nowhere.

Todd: Indeed it is, Lester. Manfred was never even speculated about before his surprise declaration, and it'll be interesting to see what the other candidates make of him.

Holt: Well, he won't have to worry about them for a while since, rather than trying to battle his way through the primaries, Manfred has elected to run as an independent.

Todd: Smart thinking, that, Lester.

Holt: Indeed it is, Chuck. We also have a few endorsements to announce. Let's listen in.

Holt: And there you have it. While another congresswoman cuddles up to Carly Fiorina, another African-American heavy hitter endorses Georgia Governor Stacey Abrams.

Todd: You did that on purpose.

*Both chuckle*

Holt: And, before we go, we have another treat for you. Here with us tonight is US Senator from Alaska and exploring presidential candidate Lisa Murkowski. Lisa, how are you tonight?

Murkowski: I'm good, Lester. I'm glad to be on tonight.

Holt: And we're glad to have you. Now, my first question tonight: in recent polling, you've come in behind only Vice President Ryan, but you're only leading Governors Haley and Baker by a small margin. How do you intend to break away from the pack, then go after the Vice President?

Murkowski: Well, first of all, I’m humbled by the overwhelming support I’ve received since declaring my intentions. As for what makes this campaign different, I plan on offering a new path forward, that takes what has worked under the Romney administration, and leaves what hasn’t. This may mean I disagree with the President, and my colleagues running, but I will vow to treat them with respect.

Holt: A strategy that's done well in getting you this far, no doubt about it. Now, Senator, many note your reputation as something of a maverick, particularly with your vote to retain Obamacare in 2015. Do you believe this could cause trouble for you with the primary voters?

Murkowski: As many of your viewers may be aware, I lost a Republican primary for my Senate seat in 2010, only to win the general election, and then both my next primary and general election. I will never be the candidate who wins a litmus test, but neither would Ronald Reagan, and I believe the primary voters recognize the value of an independent voice in the White House to shake up the system.

Holt: Such a voice might be a breath of fresh air to a lot of primary and general election voters. As such, if you do become the President, what will your first 100 days be like?

Murkowski: I have a bold plan for my first 100 days, including a bill loosening regulations for small businesses and family farms, allowing them to continue lifting up our economy. I also plan on following through on the President’s plan for increased trade with the UK following Brexit, signaling to our allies that America keeps the promises we make. Finally, I have drafted a bill that would codify the policy of allowing transgender individuals to serve in our military. Our military must be strong, agile, and ensure that any American that wishes to serve may, regardless of whomever is in office at the time.

Holt: A big maverick promise there, folks. Finally, Senator, if you could tell the American public one thing tonight, what would it be?

Murkowski: The Republican Party is a big tent party. We have room to have disagreements and discussions on our path forward. That is an ideal that has followed me throughout my years of public service, and will allow us to reach voters who may not have voted in a Republican primary before. I may not be the most ideologically pure candidate in this race, however, I am the candidate that will work hardest to be a voice for the American public, not special interests.

Holt: Senator Murkowski, thanks for being on tonight.

Murkowski: My pleasure, Lester.

Holt: *Faces camera.* And that will be all for tonight. Join us on Monday, Martin Luther King, Jr., Day, when we interview former Massachusetts Senator John Kerry.

Holt: I'm Lester Holt.

Both: And this has been your Election Update.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »

Election Update 2020

Holt: Well, no new candidates to report to you tonight, but we do have a new endorsement for you. Let's take a listen.

Holt: Yet another major endorsement from Kerry's home state of Massachusetts. And speaking of Senator Kerry, we have him on tonight. John, always a pleasure.

Kerry: It really is, Lester.

Holt: All right, Senator, here's your first question: Perhaps the one factors people cite most when attacking your candidacy is your age (77 on Inauguration Day). How would you respond to those who find that an issue?

Kerry: Is my age really a problem? I have more experience then the rest of the field combined, it looks like. I served in the United States Navy, was wounded 3 times, and was awarded the Silver Star for my actions. I was a United States Senator for 30 years, chairing the Senate Committees on Small Business and on Foreign Relations. If you're going to attack my candidacy based on age, I'll fire right back on experience.

Holt: Kerry not afraid to take aim at his opponents' youth and inexperience. Now then, as you know, former President Obama recently said it was time for the party to "move on." Do you believe those remarks could hurt you as the primaries loom closer?

Kerry: We tried moving on with President Obama, but it clearly didn't work, as he was defeated in 2012. I respect the President, and he was a committed defender of our liberal values in the White House, but he wasn't what we needed. We need a Liberal in the mold of Kennedy, Roosevelt, and Truman. I am that kind of Liberal.

Holt: No more Mr. Flip-Flop this time, it would seem. Naysayers aside, what would your first 100 days in office be like?

Kerry: My first 100 days will bring sweeping reform; we will be working with Democratic majorities, and that's a promise. We will bring relief to the American people who have been surrendered by the winner-take-all economics and the deep taxation and regulation cuts of the Republican administrations.

Holt: A strong new message from an old candidate. Finally, Senator, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be?

Kerry: HELP IS ON THE WAY! If you're a middle class steelworker, help is on the way! This is the key to my campaign! Help is on the way!

Holt: Senator Kerry, always wonderful to have you on.
*faces camera*
And that will be all for tonight. Join us on Wednesday night when we interview conservative commentator Ben Shapiro.

Holt: Until then, I'm Lester Holt.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 10:49:14 PM »

Election Update 2020

Holt: Well, tonight, we have little to tell you about the election, other than a few updates on already-declared candidates.

Todd: That's right, Lester. Today, HP CEO Carly Fiorina announced her Carly for America tour across three states: California, Nevada, and Arizona. Let's listen in.

Holt: Meanwhile, Sherrod Brown continuing his Dignity of Work tour as he, in the eyes of many, inches closer to a presidential run next year.

Todd: At the same time, declared candidate Alveda King is now touring Iowa and speaking to local farmers, while surprise independent candidate Rob Manfred lays out his campaign's positions on social media.

Holt: And speaking of other candidates, we have one here tonight, conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro. Ben, how are you tonight?

Shapiro: Oh, I'm doing great, Lester. Yourself?

Holt: I'm quite well, thank you. Now, my first question: obviously, you’re struggling a bit in the polls at this point. However, you’ve become well known for your capability with debates. Do you think this strength is your key to the nomination?

Shapiro: Absolutely. Debates are where I shine the most. Americans don’t want to hear a politician’s false promises on the debate stage. Americans want to hear real and tangible solutions while keeping things factual and relevant.

Holt: A man who works with his advantages, I see. Now, throughout your career, you’ve made some pretty controversial remarks. Do you believe these would come back to bite you in the general election?

Shapiro: Well, I have no doubt that my opponents will try to be intellectually dishonest about my record. This is, unfortunately, what comes with today’s modern politics. I am not worried in the slightest because I think Americans all over will be reasonable to see through a politician’s deception.

Holt: Working that outsider angle, a popular move in recent years. Now, assuming you manage to surge in the polls following the debates, what would your first 100 days be like?

Shapiro: My first 100 days would involve a lot of changes to the federal government and a lot of sweeping changes that I feel would do more than what has been accomplished so far. You’d see a sweep of regulations being slashed, fewer executive orders, government power largely being devolved to the states, strengthening free trade agreements, and an administration that will be very active on domestic issues such as healthcare and entitlement reform.

Holt: A clear and almost libertarian-esque vision for the future. Finally, Ben, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be?

Shapiro: What I would tell them is simple. I am here to be a fresh alternative for the Republican Party and the nation as a whole. I may not be a governor, senator, or representative, but it doesn’t take much to recognize the issues that this country still faces. For a long time I’ve been an advocate for the issues that Republicans have rallied around for decades, whether it be the protection of life, fiscal economics, free trade, or a strong foreign policy, and that’s why I believe I am the candidate best for this time and this election.

Holt: Ben Shapiro, thank you so much for being on.

Shapiro: My pleasure, Lester.

Holt: *faces camera*
And that will be all for tonight, folks. Join us Friday night when we interview Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 10:40:55 PM »

Election Update 2020

Holt: Well, tonight, there actually isn't much election news.

Todd: Yes, and so we bring you some more generic political news: President Romney responded today to criticism from businessman and, more and more, right-wing agitator Donald Trump, who was complaining about President Romney's continued support for transgenders in the military.

Holt: An interesting response, appealing to conservative support of the Armed Services to defend against conservative distaste for transgenders participating therein. And speaking of people on the LGBTQ+ spectrum, we have a very special guest tonight, South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. Pete, how are you tonight?

Buttigieg: I'm good, Lester. Yourself?

Holt: I'm doing well, Pete. Now, my first question: obviously, you've been struggling to gain traction in a field filled with Democratic heavyweights, both old and new. How do you intend to overcome this issue?

Buttigieg: The most experienced politicians lost in 2012 and 2016; we need new people in the White House and change.

Holt: An outsider's life for you, eh, Pete? Now, you've also become known as an ardent critic of the Romney administration. What, in your opinion, is his greatest error?

Buttigieg: I think that the fact that he hasn't helped workers in America, like in West Virginia or in Maryland, Alabama, Florida! He's hurt American workers by being too free trade.

Holt: A battle cry of the Democrats since 1933: the Party of the People! That said, how would you do things differently in your first 100 days in office?

Buttigieg: I would make jobs programs to help the American people, I would set up a plan to make the government invest in small businesses if they are in areas that need investment, I would do a Universal Basic Income of $1000 per month for all Americans, and I would raise the minimum wage to $10.25 per hour.

Holt: A Newer Deal, by the sound of it. Finally, if there's one thing you could tell the American people tonight, what would it be?

Buttigieg: I will make America greater for all!

Holt: Pete Buttigieg, thanks for being on.

Buttigieg: It was a pleasure to be here, Lester.

And that will be all for tonight, folks. Tune in Sunday night when we interview Assistant House Minority Leader Tulsi Gabbard.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 12:30:26 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2019, 04:35:43 PM by DatGOTTho »

Credits released for the week of Jan. 26 - Feb. 1, 2019

Current total credits:

Vice President Paul Ryan: 6.8
Senator Lisa Murkowski: 5.2
Frmr. Governor Nikki Haley: 4.8
Governor Stacey Abrams: 4.2
Frmr. Rep. Beto O'Rourke: 4
Senator Sherrod Brown: 3.6
Celebrity Celia Curtis: 2.8
Governor Alex Sink: 2.4
Commentator Ben Shapiro: 2.4
CEO Carly Fiorina: 2.2
Governor Jay Inslee: 2
Commissioner Rob Manfred: 2
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard: 1.6
Frmr. State Rep. Alveda King: 1.6
Mayor Pete Buttigieg: 1.2
Frmr. Senator John Kerry: 1
Governor Phil Scott: 2
Frmr. Senator/Frmr. Commerce Secretary Rick Santorum: 2
Senator Rob Portman: 2
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2019, 04:35:48 PM by DatGOTTho »

As there seems to be some confusion over who's endorsed whom, here's a list of candidates and their current endorsements.

Democrats
Stacey Abrams
Oprah Winfrey, talk show host and major celebrity
Barack Obama, 44th POTUS
Hillary Clinton, Democratic presidential nominee in 2016
Peter Welch, US Rep. from VT-AL

Sherrod Brown
Bernie Sanders, US Senator from Vermont and runner-up in 2016
AFL-CIO, major labor union federation
Jeff Merkley, US Senator from Oregon
Amy Klobuchar, US Senator from Minnesota
Tulsi Gabbard, House Assistant Minority Leader, US Rep. from HI-02, and former candidate

Pete Buttigieg
Dave Loebsack, US Rep. from IA-02
Steven Horsford, US Rep. from NV-04
Tom Vilsack, former Governor of Iowa

John Kerry
Elizabeth Warren, US Senator from Massachusetts
Joe Kennedy III, US Rep. from MA-04
Steny Hoyer, US Rep. from MD-05
Adam Schiff, House Minority Whip, US Rep. from CA-28
Tim Ryan, House Minority Leader, US Rep. from OH-13
Joe Biden, 47th Vice President of the United States

Beto O'Rourke
Bill Clinton, 42nd POTUS

Alex Sink
Tom Harkin, former US Senator from Iowa
National Education Union
Chet Culver, former Governor of Iowa

Republicans
Justin Amash
Rand Paul, US Senator from Kentucky
Thomas Massie, US Rep. from KY-04
Ron Paul, former US Rep. from TX-14

Carly Fiorina
Barbara Comstock, US Rep. from VA-10
Lynn Jenkins, former US Rep. from KS-02

Lisa Murkowski
Susan Collins, US Senator from Maine
Kelly Ayotte, US Senator from New Hampshire

Rob Portman
John Kasich, former Governor of Ohio
Mike DeWine, Governor of Ohio

Rick Santorum
Pat Toomey, US Senator from Pennsylvania
Lou Barletta, former US Rep. from PA-11

Phil Scott
Elise Stefanik, US Rep. from NY-21
Charlie Baker, Governor of Massachusetts and former candidate
Jim Douglas, former Governor of Vermont
Larry Hogan, Governor of Maryland
Charlie Dent, US Rep. from PA-07
Ryan Costello, US Rep. from PA-06

Independents
Rob Manfred
Gary Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico and Libertarian presidential nominee in 2016

All other candidates have no endorsements at this time.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:20:21 AM »

BREAKING NEWS

Holt: Good morning. I'm Lester Holt, and we have breaking news.

Holt: The lawsuit Stevens v. South Carolina, challenging a "bathroom bill" similar to the one voided by North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper in 2017, has now been appealed to the Supreme Court. Justices Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Coney Barrett have agreed to hear the case, and oral arguments are expected to begin on February 15th. While liberals hope Chief Justice John Roberts might be swayed to support Stevens, many believe that this will be a landmark defeat for the transgender rights movement. However, only time will tell.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 10:40:34 PM »

Election Update 2020

Holt: Well, as they say, when it rains, it pours, and we have got a slew of news to share with you regarding the election.

Todd: That's right, Lester. First off, we have two declarations, both from Republicans. Let's listen in.

Holt: That was Governor Phil Scott of Vermont, a very popular moderate governor there, in a similar mold to Charlie Baker, who he mentioned earlier in that same speech.

Todd: That's right, Lester. We also have a face a lot of Republicans will see as familiar.

Holt: That was Commerce Secretary and former Senator Rick Santorum, who would go on to announce his resignation from the Cabinet to focus on his campaign.

Todd: Santorum a darling of the more conservative wing of the Republican Party, but is that lane even free anymore?

Holt: An excellent question, Chuck. Next up, we have a slew of endorsements from various politicians and even a major organization. Let's listen in.

Holt: Many, many endorsements, as you can see, and many more to come. Now, then, tonight we have a very special guest, Assistant House Minority Leader Tulsi Gabbard. Tulsi, how are you tonight?

Gabbard: I'm good, Lester. Glad to be here.

Holt: And we're very glad to have you. Now, my first question: Representative Gabbard, many believe you’ve jumped in over your head, entering the race with heavyweights like Stacey Abrams and Beto O’Rourke. How do you respond to this?

Gabbard: I am aware that many doubt my ability to win this race, and that compared to many others, my experience is limited in Congress. I plead guilty. I have not had enough time to grow corrupt in the broken system that is Washington. I can bring new, dynamic leadership to this country, especially given my past as a combat veteran. I may not be one of the heavyweight candidates in this race, but I wouldn't be certain that puts me at too much of a disadvantage.

Holt: A principled outsider is what we have here tonight. So, my next question. If elected, you would be the first Samoan-American, first Hindu, and first female President. Do you think these distinctions will help you in a party that for more than a decade now has been heavily influenced by identity politics?

Gabbard: It is a proud moment, but I don't want people to vote for me just because I'm a woman, or Samoan or Hindu. I want people to vote for me because I present the best policies. I believe I do. And I ask that for all voters: vote for who represents your views best. So yeah, I don't want people voting for me because of my gender, my ethnicity or my religion. I want people to support me because i represent their views best, and I believe that is a winning strategy. We must stop, as a party, playing to identity politics. Especially seeing as Republicans use it as a club to beat us over the head with.

Holt: A new era in American politics and a presidential candidate willing to embrace it. Now, ignoring the naysayers and the early polls, what would your first 100 days be like?

Gabbard: My first hundred days would focus on Wall Street reform. Our banks have been getting away with robbing people blind and use bailout money given to them by the taxpayers. Just 6 banks in this country control assets equal to over half of our GDP; more than two thirds of all credit cards issued; over a quarter of all mortgages; 95% of derivatives and 40% of all bank deposits. All that power is concentrated in our 6 largest banks, making them too big to fail. This means if they go under, the economy goes under. We need to break up the banks and reinstate Glass-Steagall now. My first hundred days will target both of these issues.

Holt: The end of "too-big-to-fall" may be at hand. Finally, Representative, if there's one thing you could tell the American public tonight, what would it be?

Gabbard: I am aware of my shameful past. I grew up in a family with a father hostile to the LGBT community. While fighting in Iraq however, I realised what a horrible mistake I'd made in following my father's views. To this end, LGBT rights groups have consistently given me high ratings since I entered Congress. I have cut my ties with Hind nationalist groups as their views do not coincide with mine going forward. I oppose removing that brutal dictator Assad from power because the only other significant power base in Syria is a group of homophobic zealots. The fact that it has taken me this long to realise this is no excuse, but I would ask that you look at my whole past instead of merely the controversial parts. I also ask you to consider if any of our current candidates from other side would truly understand what it's like to send men and women off to war. War is not a pretty thing; it is brutal and violent. It still gives me nightmares to this day. I understand what it's like to see war, so I understand the sacrifice of our veterans more than most.

Holt: Tulsi Gabbard, thanks for being on.

Gabbard: My pleasure, Lester.

And that will be all for tonight. I'm Lester Holt.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »

And, by a margin of 7-6-1, CNN will be the network for the February Election Updates. As Fox News came in so close a second, it will automatically be used as the network for March.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »

Rasmussen Reports Republican Primary Polling, 26-27 January 2019
Lisa Murkowski - 14%

Paul Ryan - 13%
Rick Santorum - 11%
Nikki Haley - 10%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Charlie Baker - 7%
Phil Scott - 6%
Ben Shapiro - 5%
Alveda King - 3%
Undecided - 23%
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »

So, yeah, since I moronically forgot to set a time limit for the media outlet poll, I can't get rid of it, so I posted another poll in a separate thread. Thanks for understanding, all!

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=312349.0
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2019, 11:13:39 PM by DatGOTTho »

As the current polling numbers appear to have gotten lost in the shuffle, I'm reposting them.

CNN/SSRS Democratic Primary Poll, 15-18 January 2019
Stacey Abrams - 18%

Beto O'Rourke - 10%
Sherrod Brown - 9%
Celia Curtis - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
John Kerry - 5%
Jay Inslee - 5%
Tulsi Gabbard - 4%
Pete Buttigieg - 3%
Undecided - 33%

Rasmussen Reports Republican Primary Polling, 26-28 January 2019
Lisa Murkowski - 14%

Paul Ryan - 13%
Phil Scott - 12%
Rick Santorum - 10%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Rob Portman - 7%
Nikki Haley - 7%
Ben Shapiro - 5%
Justin Amash - 4%
Alveda King - 3%
Undecided - 17%

New polls will be published on the 1st of the month.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »

BREAKING NEWS
BAKER DROPS OUT
Gov. Charlie Baker (R-MA) announced Monday that he was dropping out and endorsing Gov. Phil Scott (R-VT). He said "As a fellow Northeastern Governor, I know that Governor Scott will be an amazing President. The reason I'm dropping out is because of low polling numbers and Phil and I having similar beliefs and values."
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »

So, at this point, it appears that we will be skipping ahead to June 1 as of February 1. The first debate for both parties will be June 5 in-game (February 5 IRL). Campaign schedules for February through June are highly encouraged and will be due by the start of the first debate.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2019, 10:10:49 PM by DatGOTTho »

So, at this point, it appears that we will be skipping ahead to June 1 as of February 1. The first debate for both parties will be June 5 in-game (February 5 IRL). Campaign schedules for February through June are highly encouraged and will be due by the start of the first debate.

Can we get our endorsement credits for that period at some point? No rush. Smiley

Just so there's some endorsements left to grab after the skip, you'll each get your standard number of credits per week for each month skipped (so, 4 times the standard weekly dump). This puts credit totals at:

Democrats
Stacey Abrams: 8.6
Kamala Harris: 10.8
Beto O'Rourke: 12
Sherrod Brown: 1.8
Alex Sink: 0.2
John Kerry: 0
Jay Inslee: 6
Tulsi Gabbard: 4.8
Pete Buttigieg: 0.6

Republicans
Lisa Murkowski: 13.4
Paul Ryan: 17.2
Phil Scott: 3.6
Rick Santorum: 6
Rob Portman: 2.6
Nikki Haley: 10.4
Carly Fiorina: 8.6
Ben Shapiro: 6.4
Alveda King: 4
Justin Amash: 0.2

Independents
Rob Manfred:4

All post-megadump credits may be redeemed starting February 1st.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »

AMASH ANNOUNCES IN GRAND RAPIDS

Amash Addressing Supporters in Grand Rapids

"I am so glad to be addressing you guys today and announcing my candidacy for President of the United States! I come as a representative of Good Government. The kind of Government who lets you spend your money as you want, rather than wasting your money with abandon! The kind of government that doesn't spy on its citizens! I am getting into this campaign to remind the people of this country that there is a better way, a way in which the government is beholden to the citizens rather than elites with enough money to influence decisions being made on capital hill.

I have never missed a vote on the House floor* because the I was elected by the people to be their representative in the house and I have carried that responsibility with me for my near decade of tenure in the House. As president, I will take this burden up for the country as a whole, that is my promise to you, America!"

*I am assuming Amash didn't miss the vote on the Health Care bill considering it doesn't exist. Correct me if I'm wrong and he just missed some other bill.
(OOC: Can I cash in my endorsement credits for Thomas Massie and Rand Paul? That would be 4, leaving me with 1.4 left, right? A schedule will be up tonight)

Yes, you can have the endorsements. In future, though, just PM me about endorsements. You have 1.2 credits at the moment.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »

Also, please note: endorsements bought with megadump credits will not be mentioned in election updates until June 2 in-game (February 2 IRL), as it's assumed they endorsed over the course of the four months skipped.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »

Also, please note: endorsements bought with megadump credits will not be mentioned in election updates until June 2 in-game (February 2 IRL), as it's assumed they endorsed over the course of the four months skipped.
Will my interview update be soon?

Yes, your interview update will still happen tonight. Election updates will not be postponed, only recognition of megadump-bought endorsements.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »

BREAKING NEWS
On 29 January 2019, Celia Curtis suspended her campaign for President of the United States, but maintained her call for an outsider to take up the Democratic mantle.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 07:45:57 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2019, 09:05:03 AM by DatGOTTho »

New Poll for Democratic primaries (credit megadump remains the same).

CNN/SSRS Democratic Primary Poll, 28-31 March 2019
Stacey Abrams - 17%

Sherrod Brown - 12%
Kamala Harris - 11%
Beto O'Rourke - 9%
Alex Sink - 7%
John Kerry - 5%
Jay Inslee - 4%
Pete Buttigieg - 3%
Undecided - 32%
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »

Election Update 2020

Todd:And I'm Chuck Todd.

Holt: And tonight there are both comings and goings of presidential candidates. Let's listen in.

Holt: Those two candidates sadly leaving us, but two more joining to fill the void. Let's listen there.

Holt: And, with no endorsements to report, we'll move on to an interview we forgot to tell you about on Sunday. That was our bad, and the network has taken full responsibility for it.

Todd: Indeed it has. And tonight our guest is Vermont Governor Phil Scott. Phil, how are you, tonight?

Scott: I'm doing well, Chuck. And yes, I forgive the network.

Holt:*chuckles* Yes, and again, folks, we're very sorry we forgot to tell you about this. Moving on, though, Governor, despite your popularity, you’re still from a state that gave President Romney fewer than 100,000 votes in 2012, and little more than 100,000 in 2016. Do you believe this could hinder you in a party that slowly seems to be drifting to the right nationwide?

Scott: No, I don't think so, Lester. My campaign isn't about geographical location, or about an ideological camp. I think our politics should move away from that kind of pettiness. Running for President should be about leadership, and about problem solving. My state may have gone for President Obama and Secretary Clinton, but that doesn't characterize my state, or any other state in the Union. My campaign is running a 50-state strategy because whether you're in Burlington, Vermont, or Nashua, New Hampshire, or in Youngstown, Ohio, we all need to grapple with the opioid epidemic, our crumbling infrastructure, and making our society more fair. It's not time for pettiness, it's time for citizenship.

Holt: Like a certain President we know, a candidate running as the voice of reason. And speaking of which, many commentators have compared you to President Romney over the past few years. Is there anywhere you can think of that you and the President differ significantly?

Scott: I'm flattered by the comparison, Lester, and I think that the President has done a great job these past four years. Americans are better off then they were 8 years ago, and I think the President has done a fantastic job serving this country, no doubt about it. It's true we both come from the Northeast, and we both spent years outside of Washington actually solving problems instead of contributing to deadlock. Now, the President and I still have policy differences. I think I can be said to be more socially moderate than the President, since I'm an enthusiastic supporter of marriage equality. I'm hoping to see the President codify allowing transgender individuals to serve in our armed forces. But in general, I think we have more work to do. I think that, unfortunately, the culture in Washington hasn't changed, or hasn't changed enough. We've got as much, or almost as much, gridlock, partisanship, and pettiness as before.

Holt: Partisans beware, you shall find no quarter here. Now then, as you're doing fairly well in the polls, there's a fairly strong chance you will be the next President. That in mind, what would your first 100 days be like?

Scott: The first thing I want to do if I'm elected is to start to bridge the partisan divide in Washington. I'd meet with Democrats and Republicans to push a major infrastructure project. Our infrastructure report card is a D+. I'm not satisfied with that, and when Americans see crumbling roads, ancient bridges, and more traffic, I think they agree. We need to invest billions in our infrastructure, and this helps everyone, from Presque Isle, Maine, to San Diego, California. This will create millions of jobs, and vastly improve our economy. It works for every American, and I think both parties can get behind it.

Holt: Infrastructure reform the focal point of this campaign, it would seem. Finally, Governor, if you could say one thing to the American people tonight, what would it be?

Scott: Well, I'd like to tell them to go to PhilScott.com and check out our schedule and our platform. Text CITIZENSHIP to 019283 to receive updates from our campaign. This campaign is about stepping up. For too long Washington has been partisan and deadlocked. We need to elevate the problem solvers, and act like citizens, not politicians focusing on re-election. It's time for leadership, not favor-trading. I'm ready to lead that fight, and I ask you to join me.

Holt: Governor Scott, thank you for being on tonight.

Scott: My pleasure, Lester.

And that will be all for tonight, ladies and gentlemen. Join us on Thursday when we interview Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »

Gabbard withdraws to endorse Sherrod Brown: "We need a propr progressivd to lead this nation and Sherrod is the one to do it."

Got it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies