The election was not a low-turnout election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:06:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The election was not a low-turnout election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The election was not a low-turnout election  (Read 1634 times)
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »

2004's turnout always interested me. It had super high turnout but I can't figure out if it's because 1996 and 2000 had such low turnouts so it made 2004 look better or not.

2012 looked like it had low turnout - 129 million total votes, compared to 131 million in 2008. 2016 got 137 million votes.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »

The Mikado, keep in mind there was a lot of lazy journalism in the immediate aftermath of the election that didn't consider the considerable mail in vote in CA and the west coast and they rushed to the presses with lines about Trump winning because of lower turnout and that he got less raw votes than Mitt Romney did.

Neither of which was true. He got a lower percentage, but Trump got 2 million more votes than Romney and Clinton came close to matching Obama 2012 (was only off by 100,000 I think), and beyond that the substantial increase in third party voting, which was ignored.

So between the premature reports that didn't include the mail in vote, and ignoring the larger third party vote, lies the formation of this narrative.

That crap is so freaking annoying.

It's like they think counting stops after the first night or something. I knew Clinton would win the popular vote by over a million the day after (though got kinda embarrassed when it nearly hit 3 million lol).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies