Will the Democratic Party collapse if they don't embrace Bernieism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:55:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the Democratic Party collapse if they don't embrace Bernieism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the Democratic Party collapse if they don't embrace Bernieism?  (Read 4011 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: June 24, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »

What exactly do you mean by 'collapse'? Because there are a lot of people who might find the word 'collapse' adequate for the party's current state.

If you mean collapse as in the party might disappear - then just stop there. Questions you might have whose hypothetical outcome is the party ceasing to exist should by default be answered 'won't happen,' unless you have a viable and plausible theory already. This is because parties are extremely durable, and have survived much worse than the Democratic Party's current predicament.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »

A lot of Democrats just before the election in 2006 were suggesting that if they couldn't even win the House, there would simply be more very liberal Congresscritters going the way of Bernie and becoming Independent or Green.

I mean, that would be silly. Why abandon the Democratic Party for a party that is even less successful (by far)? Lots of people have these dreams and fantasies of making other parties relevant, but besides an election or two at the state/local level, they hardly ever make a difference. Our system is built for 2 parties, and the Democratic Party is simply too well known and too ubiquitous to be supplanted. It could happen, but it would have to be some cinema-esque situation that just comes together perfectly "against all odds," as the trope goes.

I even heard Charlie Cook say something to the effect that if they didn't win the Senate, they were going to fire a bunch of people and if they didn't win the House, they would "go the way of the whigs".

Pundits and professional prognosticators love saying that stuff. I still stand by my point that both parties have been in worse situations and still toiled their way through hard times. Look at the post-Civil War era - the Democratic Party was a minority party at the federal level for almost 72 years, and while they had some success in the House and a few odd wins here and there in terms of Senate majorities / White House, it was mostly bleak. Republicans got hollowed out during the New Deal and they still bounced back. So yeah, comparatively, the Democratic Party isn't in that bad of a position.

I have a good feeling that by 2019, people will be singing a different tune. Republicans had an often-unpopular Democratic president they could milk for midterm waves, and now the shoe is on the other foot.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »

^ the post that was heard around the world
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »

Wasn't Obama's approval rating fairly high during the 2016 campaign in spite of Trump's incessant attacks against him? I think he even had a 54ish percent approval on Election Day; which is very impressive given how polarized we are as a country.

Hillary is literally only seen in a favorable light when she's completely out of the limelight. She couldn't defend herself at all from attacks.

I'm not really sure if one could attribute her persistent unpopularity right now to any longstanding trends. The email scandal and everything that came with it was pretty uniquely damaging to her, and it will probably take a long time to recover. I mean she went through over a year and a half of non-stop attacks on that and it completely destroyed her image.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies