HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:26:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 49006 times)
DS0816
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »

Inouye is not a god.

I am a Schatz supporter. Hanabusa reminds me of Ro Khanna in California, believing that she is entitled to the seat. Schatz has more potential than Hanabusa ever will.

^ This.

She's part of the "New Democrat" coalition.

@ http://my.firedoglake.com/paiagirl/2013/05/27/dino-challenges-progressive-sen-brian-schatz/

If you're actually a Republican who, 10 or 20 years ago, decamped to the Democratic side and don't want liberal social and political policies, "New Democrats," who have no ideology, is right up (or down) your alley.

In that case, Colleen Hanabusa would be it.
DS0816
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »

See? Get that DINO piece of crap out of office!

Senator HanabUSA will move far to the left as one of the most powerful Senators in the nation. Mark my words.

Like your earlier words claiming that Shelley Berkley is dead? (You referred to her as "the late.")
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »

Inouye is not a god.

I am a Schatz supporter. Hanabusa reminds me of Ro Khanna in California, believing that she is entitled to the seat. Schatz has more potential than Hanabusa ever will.

^ This.

She's part of the "New Democrat" coalition.

@ http://my.firedoglake.com/paiagirl/2013/05/27/dino-challenges-progressive-sen-brian-schatz/

If you're actually a Republican who, 10 or 20 years ago, decamped to the Democratic side and don't want liberal social and political policies, "New Democrats," who have no ideology, is right up (or down) your alley.

In that case, Colleen Hanabusa would be it.

Maybe we can elect moderate heroes in actual moderate/conservative states or districts. But in the second most liberal state in the nation? Plus she's a hawk too who only seems to be running because she wants it.

Time to knock Colleen Cheney out of politics.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:46 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2013, 10:40:27 AM by BeccaM »

Oh please. Stop acting like Hanabusa would be the next Joe Manchin. Roll Eyes She'd be a reliably liberal vote on the vast majority of anything that comes up. It's Hawaii after all.

Overall ProgressivePunch scores:

Hirono - 98.82   
Schatz - 98.40   
Hanabusa - 90.57   

Big whoop Roll Eyes Her voting record would probably become more liberal as a Senator anyway, with the higher profile and each individual vote counting more. It's not like Hawaii is going to take her out for doing so. Not that she could be that much more liberal.

I have no problem with supporting the technically more liberal candidate, but acting like Hanabusa is a DINO is, well, the kind of thing Republican RINO witch hunts are made of. Hyperbolic bullsh**t.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »

I don't see the problem with EMILY's List supporting Hanabusa either. Sorry, but even if a man votes the right way 100% of the time, he'll never care about womens issues as much as a woman with the same beliefs does. They may be sincere in their beliefs, but they'll never have the experience of being a woman.

It's the same for anything - civil rights, gay rights, whatever. If you live it, your passion will be more focused on that issue.

And they only exist to get pro-choice women elected so I don't see why it's so outrageous anyway. Schatz supporters creating controversy out of nothing.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »

I don't see the problem with EMILY's List supporting Hanabusa either. Sorry, but even if a man votes the right way 100% of the time, he'll never care about womens issues as much as a woman with the same beliefs does. They may be sincere in their beliefs, but they'll never have the experience of being a woman.

It's the same for anything - civil rights, gay rights, whatever. If you live it, your passion will be more focused on that issue.

And they only exist to get pro-choice women elected so I don't see why it's so outrageous anyway. Schatz supporters creating controversy out of nothing.

I'll agree with your first point here. I will never have as much experience on women's rights as someone like you. That being said, some women decide to vote the wrong way on this issue. Hanabusa very well could have overridden Governor Lingle's veto on contraception, but she didn't. Schatz championed it since Hanabusa entered politics.

It's outrageous because they're siding with the right-wing candidate in the pro-choice debate. I'm not going to sit here and act like the average friendzoned fedora-wearing MRA and cry about "LE MISANDRY" over it, but EMILY's List is hurting the cause here, especially when they're presenting Schatz as a Republican and trying to tie him to Mitch McConnell.

Schatz's goal was to be the next Patsy Mink. I'm sure you're familiar with her: one of the greatest advocates for women in Congressional history, mother of Title IX, and the woman who led the charge for equality in education. Your favorite candidate was the one who nearly tried to primary her because she wasn't strong enough on defense and too sympathetic to unions (something that's actually to the right of Manchin). She constantly trumpeted the fact that she was to the right of Mink. Hanabusa ran against the legacy of the greatest advocate for women's rights in modern history. Schatz ran to continue it. You can think that Hanabusa's going to be a better Senator than Schatz. That's a matter of opinion. But I don't know how you can sit there and say that she's a better advocate for women than Schatz.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »

Bloomberg is fundraising for Schatz, based mostly on environmental issues.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »

Haha, I look forward to Hanabusa being crushed.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »

Yeah, there was a time when I liked Hanabusa and thought that Inouye's trust in her must communicate something positive, but that was a year ago.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »

While I can't stand Bloomberg as a mayor or really as a person, one can't deny his out-of-state assistance is often extremely helpful.

As for EMILY'S List backing Hanabusa, I've been trying to talk my parents out of donating to them ever since they endorsed Tulsi Gabbard. I haven't convinced my mother yet, but that is to be expected considering she's the daughter of a second-wave feminist  who opened up the first NOW chapter in SE Pennsylvania outside of Pittsburgh.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »

While I can't stand Bloomberg as a mayor or really as a person, one can't deny his out-of-state assistance is often extremely helpful.

As for EMILY'S List backing Hanabusa, I've been trying to talk my parents out of donating to them ever since they endorsed Tulsi Gabbard. I haven't convinced my mother yet, but that is to be expected considering she's the daughter of a second-wave feminist  who opened up the first NOW chapter in SE Pennsylvania outside of Pittsburgh.

What's wrong with Tulsi Gabbard? I know a lot of liberals were worried she'd take after her father, but she's seemed pretty solid so far. At the very least she's better than Ed Case or Mufi Hanneman would've been.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »

As for EMILY'S List backing Hanabusa, I've been trying to talk my parents out of donating to them ever since they endorsed Tulsi Gabbard.

What the [inks].
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »

Captain Sulu endorses Hanabusa
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

Sad to see Takei endorse the opportunist over the freedom fighter.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »

FWIW, Democracy for America is doing an online poll asking if it should make an endorsement here, and for whom.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2013, 03:53:07 AM »

Hanabusa must really be getting desperate on the environmental issue...

She's trying to spin the LCV having a 96% rating and Schatz not having one yet as her being better on the environment... except for the fact that the LCV endorsed Schatz.

Hanabusa seems about as upset as BeccaM is that she's not being taken seriously by progressives.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2013, 03:16:27 AM »

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »

You're the one who's been all over my ass about Schatz. It's time I got in the first blow.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #243 on: December 26, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »

Teachers union endorses Hanabusa.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #244 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »

Oh, a good reason to like Schatz then!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »

Here's an article on both Senate and guv which explains the notorious impossibility of polling in Hawaii.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

Did not know Hanabusa thought Murray-Ryan went too far.

This pleases me. My endorsement still stands, but this gives me much more faith that she'll stand with us if Schatz loses.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »

Abercrombie says he appointed Schatz because he's a generation younger, which rankles Hanabusa as ageist and entitled. Schatz downplays the ethnic cleavage. He also offered to teach his Senate colleagues windsurfing. Tongue
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #248 on: January 01, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »

I am cool with Hanabusa being a Senator because hopefully she'll retire in 2020 (she'll be in her 70's) and open the door for Tulsi Gabbard and maybe she'll run for for President in 2024.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #249 on: January 01, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »

In Hawaii, a Senate seat is a lifetime gig. Or at least till you're an octogenarian.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies